Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

netcup Easter specials - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

netcup Easter specials

13»

Comments

• MissFortuneMissFortune Member
    edited April 2020

Yeah that's disappointing, RNG luck not with us, I bother not ask anymore.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

No doubt the steal will go down soon. With a lot of people installing and benchmarking, it's probably not surprising

I have a BF vServer from netcup, and steal hasn't been an issue

• @Ponury_Typ said:
    I got 0.0 steal on my machine.

How do you check it?

• Just type top and look for st value.

• Any experiences with running Windows on the netcup VPS instances?

I have a Server 2016 instance running on a Hetzner Cloud CX31 (2-core) VPS, which I use for general Remote Desktop purposes (nothing server-related). It gets rather sluggish sometimes and seems to be CPU-bound, and I'm wondering how things will go with netcup.

• snzsnz Member
    edited April 2020

@Ponury_Typ said:
    Just type top and look for st value.

But you have to have some load on the system. On an idle system you will not have any steal.

@aj_potc said:
    Any experiences with running Windows on the netcup VPS instances?

I have a Server 2016 instance running on a Hetzner Cloud CX31 (2-core) VPS, which I use for general Remote Desktop purposes (nothing server-related). It gets rather sluggish sometimes and seems to be CPU-bound, and I'm wondering how things will go with netcup.

I found the Hetzner Cloud-CPUs performing bettern than the netcup ones. Maybe not when benchmarking but in real-world use-cases. I don't use windows on servers though.

Also CX21 has 4G RAM? Maybe that's the bottleneck? On hetzner just make a snapshot of your box, spin up a 8G instance and load the snapshot to compare.

• @snz said:

I found the Hetzner Cloud-CPUs performing bettern than the netcup ones. Maybe not when benchmarking but in real-world use-cases. I don't use windows on servers though.

Also CX21 has 4G RAM? Maybe that's the bottleneck? On hetzner just make a snapshot of your box, spin up a 8G instance and load the snapshot to compare.

Thanks for the feedback. My Hetzner CX31 has 8GB of RAM, and I don't believe that's the limiting factor -- it really seems that the two cores are easily pegged to 100% during regular usage, and that really slows down responsiveness.

I just had a new netcup Ostern M provisioned (4 cores, 16GB RAM), so I'm eager to try it out as a Remote Desktop system. I just confirmed that it's another AMD.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@aj_potc said:

@snz said:

Thanks for the feedback. My Hetzner CX31 has 8GB of RAM, and I don't believe that's the limiting factor -- it really seems that the two cores are easily pegged to 100% during regular usage, and that really slows down responsiveness.

I just had a new netcup Ostern M provisioned (4 cores, 16GB RAM), so I'm eager to try it out as a Remote Desktop system. I just confirmed that it's another AMD.

you could also try to rescale the cx31 to a cpx31, trading in 4GB of ram for a third core. it's also 2€ cheaper ;-)

Thanked by 1aj_potc
  • neikneik Member

Looking forward to what Netcup is gonna offering with the new EPYCs.
    From what I got from their support the announcement of G9 will be within the next few weeks. :-)

• anyone has experienced server transfer process with netcup?

• snzsnz Member

I think they charge 25€ so might not be worth it.

• Got the last of my three netcup orders provisioned today.

The final result:

one 4-core AMD
    one 2-core AMD
    one 2-core Intel

• @aj_potc said:
    Got the last of my three netcup orders provisioned today.

The final result:

one 4-core AMD
    one 2-core AMD
    one 2-core Intel

Do you need to send ID to netcup?

• @aj_potc said:
    Got the last of my three netcup orders provisioned today.

The final result:

one 4-core AMD
    one 2-core AMD
    one 2-core Intel

What are the specs and prices of the 4-core and 2-core AMD?

• 4 core comes with 16gig ram and 320gig ssd 10 euro/mo, 2 core think 8 gig ram but not sure about ssd size for 5.50euro/mo

Thanked by 1greattomeetyou
  • @Grayman said:
    4 core comes with 16gig ram and 320gig ssd 10 euro/mo, 2 core think 8 gig ram but not sure about ssd size for 5.50euro/mo

The SSD size for the VPS Ostern S is 160 GB. However, all of these offers were active just last week -- they aren't the current, ongoing prices.

@greattomeetyou said:
    Do you need to send ID to netcup?

I didn't have to do this because I was registering on behalf of a business, so I sent my business registration instead. That allowed me, as a non-EU business entity, to have the German VAT removed from the invoice.

If you're registering as an individual, then I believe you do indeed have to show your ID in some form.

Thanked by 1greattomeetyou
  • pbxpbx Member

aj_potc said: The SSD size for the VPS Ostern S is 160 GB. However, all of these offers were active just last week -- they aren't the current, ongoing prices.

They appear to be available for a very similar price as their normal offers now: https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php

I wonder if it's full AMD on these ones, if somebody tries please let us know!

Bench should be similar to what has been shared in this thread.

• aj_potcaj_potc Member
    edited April 2020

@pbx said:
    They appear to be available for a very similar price as their normal offers now: https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php

Right you are! I guess the promotions I grabbed were really no big savings, then -- just a few EUR per year cheaper than their now-regular offers. But I think these are brand new.

netcup and Hetzner are obviously watching each other very closely. This is clearly a shot over Hetzner's bow!

EDIT: Though I should add, Hetzner's offerings and policies have quite a few advantages. Hetzner offers more features, and they have true hourly billing and sane contract/cancellation policies, unlike netcup, which seems to be stuck in a bureaucratic German mentality from the 1980s in that regard.

• pbxpbx Member

aj_potc said: just a few EUR per year cheaper than their now-regular offers. But I think these are brand new.

Well saving a few eur / year never hurts, and even more so if you plan to keep those several years, but it's good to know that anytime in the future we can order one if we didn't jump on the easter deals. Seems like it's exactly the same product as what you've got though, might very well be on the same nodes (does somebody knows if they put the "specials" on special nodes?).