Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET CAPTCHA fail
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET CAPTCHA fail

I am getting CAPTCHA crap when trying to post a long reply. But instead of getting a popup, it's basically an overlay on the LET wallpaper and nothing is able to be clicked or selected. Tried on several browsers and another PC without any ad blocking or script blocking. Looks like a LET issue.

Anyone else seeing this?

Comments

• SCAM_DONT_BUYSCAM_DONT_BUY Member
    edited April 2020

I can't create a post long enough to trigger captcha... (and I've never seen one before on LET)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Yep, I also experienced that a couple of times. Maybe due to long posts, maybe due to what Vanilla (or CloudF#%&! ?) sees as "strange characters".

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • hzrhzr Member

jsg said: CloudF#%&! ?)

I am curious can you explain why you dislike them so much?

• @hzr said:

jsg said: CloudF#%&! ?)

Some people just don't like gigantic players who have centralised a significant percentage of the market on principle. Not saying that applies here, just seems likely.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

hzr said: I am curious can you explain why you dislike them so much?

I dislike them more than @jsg do not because they are a big player but because I know how the reverse proxy works and know that my info including (plain username and password) are being logged on their worldwide servers. webmasters are either not knowing that or trade their end-users info for their website uptime on purpose.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@hzr said:

I've occasionally told about the reasons.

@Xsltel said:
    I dislike them more than @jsg do not because they are a big player but because I know how the reverse proxy works and know that my info including (plain username and password) are being logged on their worldwide servers. webmasters are either not knowing that or trade their end-users info for their website uptime on purpose.

I don't know whether they really do that but I do definitely not consider them trustworthy plus, frankly I doubt that their services actually make websites faster (from the users perspective). But obviously the strongly pushed "everyone must encrypt everything, always" hysteria seems to actually have made people less prudent wrt. security. Example: Yeah right, handing your private key to a big 5-eyes corporation really is enhancing your sites security. NOT.

Thanked by 2Mr_Tom Xsltel
  • XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

jsg said: I don't know whether they really do that but I do definitely not consider them trustworthy

I don't have any proof unfortunately and I don't want to prove it. but its more of common sense to me tbh. they are providing all that bandwidth, all that servers gear, all that technical expertise for FREE ? of course not. they are being paid by big dads to keep kids under control.

I honestly don't mind that. they are like a honeypot for DDoS attractors (skiddies in most cases) unfortunately legit end-users info is the victim here because everyone is using it.

jsg said: "everyone must encrypt everything, always" hysteria

I believe this was started by Google and not Cloudflare. they just followed the band.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Send me a pm with information on this and I'll look into it. It's almost certainly cloud flare picking it up.