Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which CPU for Game + VPS Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which CPU for Game + VPS Hosting

13371337 Member

Hi everyone!!

Newbie here, which CPU would you use for game + vps hosting?

2x Intel Xeon E5-2678v3 (12 cores)

OR

1x Intel Xeon E-2136 (6 cores)

Would you put 128GB ram or 64GB ram per node? Let me know what you think below.

Ty!

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

It depends what game? They have different requirements. You should not host VPS and game servers on the same physical system.

• systemfreakssystemfreaks Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2020

It really depend on the game, if you have less than 100 users you can go with a game VPS, just make sure you have Layer 7 DDoS protection if you are hosting one of the mainstream games.
    There are a lot of ompanies out there that you can google or maybe you can find a good offer here.

• Intel E would be better for game servers due to its higher clock speed, E5 would probably be better for VPS as it has a higher core count, depending on what marget you're targeting.

Probably wouldn't be wise to run both VPS and game servers on the Intel E however.

• 13371337 Member
    edited April 2020

Thanks for commenting. Each node will be dedicated to their own hosting (game/VPS).

1x dedi for vps hosting
    1x dedi for game hosting

Forgot to mention, for these games:

Minecraft
    CSGO
    GMOD
    Ark
    Terraria
    TF2

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

2x Intel Xeon E5-2678v3 server for VPS Hosing as it has more cores which is better for virtualization.
    Intel Xeon E-2136 for Game hosting as it has higher frequency than E5 and is good for game.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

128 GB RAM is a waste in most cases. You'll overload the CPU before you manage to fill that up.

• 13371337 Member
    edited April 2020

Thank you ndtn

@CConner said:
    128 GB RAM is a waste in most cases. You'll overload the CPU before you manage to fill that up.

Are you talking about both CPU?

Curious to know what CPU would you recommend for a 128/256gb ram node?

• If you use the E-2136, 6 cores 12 threads you can put 12 VMs because game servers usually require dedicated cpu, so if you calculate 4 GB ram for each VM you need 48 GB RAM, plus some for the host but 64 GB would be more than enough.

For 128GB ram game node I would probably go for a Ryzen 3950x. I wouldn't do 256 for a gaming node but if you do you probably need something like a Threadripper.

Of course it depends on your clients, are their game servers idling lots of times during the day or are they 24/7 occupied.

• 13371337 Member

@marvel said:
    If you use the E-2136, 6 cores 12 threads you can put 12 VMs because game servers usually require dedicated cpu, so if you calculate 4 GB ram for each VM you need 48 GB RAM, plus some for the host but 64 GB would be more than enough.

For 128GB ram game node I would probably go for a Ryzen 3950x. I wouldn't do 256 for a gaming node but if you do you probably need something like a Threadripper.

Of course it depends on your clients, are their game servers idling lots of times during the day or are they 24/7 occupied.

Great info thanks marvel!!

What CPU would you recommend for VPS hosting? using 128gb/256gb ram as a guide.

• Hi For Game servers before when there were no super new AMD or Intel processors everyone used Xeons E5 Even old 1333 5645 xeon with 64GB ram and 24 cores will be good. If you have money and your project is commercial then go with dual Xeon you need at least 24 cores for optimal work 3.0+

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@1337 said:

@marvel said:
    If you use the E-2136, 6 cores 12 threads you can put 12 VMs because game servers usually require dedicated cpu, so if you calculate 4 GB ram for each VM you need 48 GB RAM, plus some for the host but 64 GB would be more than enough.

E5-2678v3 is a good CPU for virtualization. I would put 256GB RAM as more RAM = better, e.g. in case of running backup, etc

Thanked by 11337
  • 13371337 Member

Thanks heaps NDTN you have been very helpful!!

@DignusData said:
    Hi For Game servers before when there were no super new AMD or Intel processors everyone used Xeons E5 Even old 1333 5645 xeon with 64GB ram and 24 cores will be good. If you have money and your project is commercial then go with dual Xeon you need at least 24 cores for optimal work 3.0+

Been reading and everyone is recommending cpu with fast frequency for game hosting. Could you let me know the cpu you are talking about? the model and etc.

The E5-2678v3 has 24 cores but low clock speed.

Ty!!

• E5-1650 1680

Thanked by 11337
  • marvelmarvel Member
    edited April 2020

@1337 said:

@marvel said:

I use AMD Epyc 7401 myself, 24c/48t. It's low power usage and cheap to buy:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-epyc-7401p
    If you go for Intel then anything Intel scalable, silver/gold would probably do as well.

I got a node with 2x Intel Silver Scalable 24c/48t total with 192GB RAM and it runs 128 VPS easily. Fair share cpu obv. I could probably add even more but now the RAM is full :smiley:

Thanked by 11337
  • 13371337 Member

Thank you so much marvel and DignusData. Have a better perspective on hardware now!!

Different quetions but does anyone know any server builders for ryzen ? Or anyone selling already preconfigured ryzen servers that they can recommend me? New or refurb is ok

• 1337 said: What CPU would you recommend for VPS hosting? using 128gb/256gb ram as a guide.

If you are able to choose your desired HW, Intel Xeon E5-2690V3 is my recommendation.
    With 2.6 GHz nominal frequency (3.5 GHz Turbo), #24 physical cores, 30MB Cache and 9.6 GT/s bus speed the sky's the limit.
    Cheers!

Thanked by 11337
  • 13371337 Member

Ty croweb_host!!

What do you guys think about the Ryzen 3990x/3970x for Game/VPS hosting?

• SavaSava Member

@Avoro Are you in stock to sell?

• AvoroAvoro Member, Host Rep

@Sava said:

Yes :) For our big gameserver customers we use AMD Ryzen or Intel Xeon E-2278G.But I think we are outside of his budget.

• 13371337 Member

@Avoro said:

@Sava said:

Yes :) For our big gameserver customers we use AMD Ryzen or Intel Xeon E-2278G.But I think we are outside of his budget.

Sent you a PM.