Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Online Colocation input
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Online Colocation input

Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

I currently have many nodes with Hetzner and have had no issues thus far over the 5 or so months I have been using them.
Though if I did have one complaint it would be the limited number of IP addresses they will allow us to obtain.

Our company has been reviewing the numbers, with the number of nodes we have we are considering switching to colocation and bringing a /22 for additional IP space.

Currently, we only colocate within the US, so this is something new for us.

Firstly
Is there anything I may not be aware of in regards to colocating in the EU?

Secondly, is Hetzner colocation just as good as their dedicated server network or are there better providers in the same price range as Hetzner for colocation.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Thanked by 1feezioxiii

Comments

• ssdvssdv Member

Is location or price is the deciding factor? Hetzner is in Finland and Germany.
    They have same ASN for colo and servers so network wise should be same.
    There are many provider in EU which are even cheaper than Hetzner.
    For colo you have to work with logistic, custom/duty if you ship from outside EU. If you buy locally then you need to pay VAT.
    Check for certified carrier neutral facility so you can cross connect to other carriers.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host
    edited April 2020

Ian_Dot_Tech said: I currently have many nodes with Hetzner and have had no issues thus far over the 5 or so months I have been using them. Though if I did have one complaint it would be the limited number of IP addresses they will allow us to obtain.

I am not 100% sure about the IP limit policy on colocation customers. If you haven't done so already, could you write a support request via Robot to ask about this specifically? The technicians there might be able to give you some help. --Katie

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

In terms of Hetzner for colocation, I'd say the following:

• Super expensive BGP fees, along with pretty expensive cabling to meet me room, comparable to much more expensive DCs (I'd say close to Equinix pricing for some of their locations). Obviously, there are a lot more expensive DCs out theree.
    • Around 85EUR/m for subnet announcement with no BGP. AFAIK - does not matter what size, it's always this fee per month, be it a single /24 or a single /20. I am not aware of any specific limits.
    • Not a lot of other Tier1 providers on site, but AFAIK Corebackbone is and you can probably get sessions through there.

That all being said, I am a customer of theirs - the services are rock solid, support is there, is friendly and is fast in most occasions. I've met some of them when I was on-site last year in Nue, nice guys and girls. Big purposely built data centers, redundant power, VESDA, deep racks, easy access. Everything you'd expect is there.

Should you have other questions, feel free to ask :)

Alex

• pikepike Veteran

Cheapest colocation I know of is in the Interwerk DC in Frankfurt aM. their website is in german, though this might be a great opportunity to try DeepL.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@pike said:
    Cheapest colocation I know of is in the Interwerk DC in Frankfurt aM. their website is in german, though this might be a great opportunity to try DeepL.

We do have a pop there and offer also racks + colocation, feel free to drop me a PM if you are in need of colo in Frankfurt ;-)

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

What we are seeking is good uptime and DDoS protection at affordable prices such as Hetzner.
    @combahton_it Do you guys offer DDoS protection in your colo?

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:
    What we are seeking is good uptime and DDoS protection at affordable prices such as Hetzner.
    @combahton_it Do you guys offer DDoS protection in your colo?

Of course, we do - this includes a quite large customer in the mentioned pop, which does gameserver hosting.

You can find more on https://www.combahton.net/ddos_protection