Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What recursive DNS are you using? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What recursive DNS are you using?

2»

Comments

• Are there any advantages to use a recursive dns compared to a "full" dns-server witch connects to the root-dns-servers? Of course all local hosts are than using the local "full" dns-server as resolver.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

007sascha said: Are there any advantages to use a recursive dns compared to a "full" dns-server witch connects to the root-dns-servers?

The "full" DNS server which you describe is also recursive, only difference being that one is hosting by you and other by a third party.

Public recursors will usually be faster as most of the queries will already be cached. With your own private DNS, some queries could end up taking like a second because you will not have a big cache like the public ones have.

• sanvit said: 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8

ditto!

• defaultdefault Veteran

I use an open and public DNS created by me, configured to protect my children from adult content, malicious websites and online advertising. It's something similar to Pi-hole, but public, hosted on 2 VPS.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited May 2020

@007sascha said:
    Are there any advantages to use a recursive dns compared to a "full" dns-server witch connects to the root-dns-servers? Of course all local hosts are than using the local "full" dns-server as resolver.

Pros: you don't have to run, configure, monitor and keep secure your own dns recursor
    Cons: you trust some third-party recursor with not altering/logging your requests etc.

In-between: running a resolver in forwarder (or forward-then-recurse) mode - allowing some level of control (e.g. filtering requests) while retaining the benefit of CloudGle Inc.'s fast and large cache, without pestering the root servers for your meager needs.

• @default said:
    I use an open and public DNS created by me, configured to protect my children from adult content, malicious websites and online advertising. It's something similar to Pi-hole, but public, hosted on 2 VPS.

You have to constantly search the Internet for adult content to add to your block lists, but I know, someone has to do it!

• Pi-hole + 1.1.1.1 makes my home network very happy :#