Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Live Broadcasting - Bandwidth full
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Live Broadcasting - Bandwidth full

teochristianteochristian Member
edited April 2020 in Help

Hello!
I am using a VPS for creating some live video broadcasts (a clean server using NGINX RTMP Module for the stream and HLS playlist). The server has 200mbps network speed, at Contabo. These days I had many viewers and it seems the bandwidth was full (the cpu and ram usage are still ok), but the stream playback is discontinued, the video is loading really slow. I can upgrade to a larger plan with more internet bandwidth, but as the hosting company says: "Unlimited traffic: No additional costs due to traffic, you can use 100 Mbit/s without any bandwidth restrictions or throttling. (Only in case your server has an uplink faster than 100 Mbit/s: If average traffic consumption continuously exceeds 100 Mbit/s over a timespan of at least 9 days the connection is switched to 100 Mbit/s)." it is really possible to exceed the limit.

What can I do? Some advices are really appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Add money, and the world is reachable

• Use Hetzner and/or Scaleway as reverse proxies in front?

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • rubenruben Member, Host Rep

teochristian said: you can use 100 Mbit/s without any bandwidth restrictions or throttling.

This may be the case, but still, the Internet is not just one big network with unlimited resources. Depending on your ISP on the Client side, there can be throttling. It does not even need to be intentional, but some bigger ISPs in Europe are known for having not enough capacity towards content heavy networks.

If you run an mtr you may see the bottleneck in form of packet loss.

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • @AC_Fan said:
    Use Hetzner and/or Scaleway as reverse proxies in front?

Thank you! Will try.

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

For video streaming, you may want to consider going with a dedicated server with a fat uplink. You'll quickly eat up a 1gbps uplink, so you'll probably at least want a 10gbps uplink to handle viewer spikes. You'll also want to have that server hosted in the same region as your primary viewers to minimize buffering, etc.

• How many viewers you have concurrently?

• hi teochristian well if you want to save some money best way add a few reverse Proxy for handle content but if contabo limit your port this will not make much sense . Does your application support simulations work from few places ?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

teochristian said: No additional costs due to traffic, you can use 100 Mbit/s without any bandwidth restrictions or throttling. (Only in case your server has an uplink faster than 100 Mbit/s: If average traffic consumption continuously exceeds 100 Mbit/s over a timespan of at least 9 days the connection is switched to 100 Mbit/s)." it is really possible to exceed the limit.

Why not get a truely unmetered server rather than risking throttling? For example a 1G unmetered dedicated server in the UK from as little as £49 per month.

• I've got a 10Gbps server for the moment.

• @hellfire1980 said:
    How many viewers you have concurrently?

It depends of the kind of broadcast. Some broadcasts have 500 concurrent viewers. But one day per week I get around few thousands of concurrent viewers (> 5000).

• Thank you all for help!!! Will try the reverse proxy.