Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help diagnosing poor network speed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help diagnosing poor network speed

ChronicChronic Member
edited April 2020 in Help

I'm having issues with the upload speed on a dedicated server I got a while back, and I could really use some help figuring out the issue as the customer support has been unhelpful and I don't understand the situation well enough.

The server is meant to be 150Mb/s with a 1Gb/s burst. Any incoming transfers to the server adhere to this, but outgoing transfers are really slow. Trying to transfer a file off the server results in speeds of around 500KB/s, when I would have expected to see speeds of at least 10 times as much. Occasionally speeds burst to around 1MB/s, but rapidly drop back down, within a second or so. This has been going on for days now and it is making the server unusable for me.

Customer support has suggested running an MTR test in both directions, and an iperf3 test, both of which apparently indicate that everything is okay. They suggested I contact my ISP. However, I have tried transferring a file off the server using 4 completely different providers, 2 residential and 2 cloud providers - always the same slow speed. I can't accept that everything is okay - it very obviously isn't when you try an actual file transfer. I also tried testing this booted into a rescue system, thinking maybe I misconfigured something - no change.

Please help, I'm at a loss. Test results below. Just to clarify, the Hetzner server was used to test, it is not the one with issues.

https://zerobin.net/?7f9cb18474ad25c5#HfxM9JV64W3xJ8p/WywkXUfaRb39aUZ3SNermqziUOU=

Comments

• Please share the result of the following bench :

curl -sL yabs.sh | bash -s -- -fdg

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • ChronicChronic Member
    edited April 2020

seriesn said: Please share the result of the following bench :

Thank you for the response! Here are the results: https://zerobin.net/?843a04e16da3edca#Hwo2oXJPrczJwSbjR4oJMPEzIOF5gGGJsAykXxBj/kY=

The system is currently running in rescue mode, which is why I assume no file systems were processsed.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited April 2020

I don't see anything wrong with this. It looks like the fairly standard cheap network in online (for the non-guaranteed start line or something.) It's about what I get on online at least, pretty much useful to major european hosts and that's about it

• hzr said: I don't see anything wrong with this. It looks like the fairly standard cheap network in online (for the non-guaranteed start line or something.)

I've certainly not had such a poor experience on the previous servers I've owned with them. I would've expected to at least be able to reach a few MB/s. What the heck am I supposed to do with 500 KB/s? It's taking me hours just to sync my Nextcloud folder. :(

• hzrhzr Member
    edited April 2020

I've easily gotten 100~300Mbps+ to/from hetzner, ovh, etc, but <5Mbps to my other servers in the US, for the price I pay it's kind of just expected and I multithread aggressively. Do you pay for the guaranteed bandwidth addon at all?

I'm running yabs now to see if it's still the same since I haven't measured in a while.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Your Provider is the best direction to help.

We once had some customer having problems with his dedi connection being slow. Turned out something on the Kernel he used, we have installed other Kernel for him and the server could troughput its Gbit port again.

There could be anything.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

As per your benchmark nothing looks suspicious or wrong.
    Maybe you should open a support ticket so their staff can make some network adjustments if needed

• hzrhzr Member
    edited April 2020

Based on your CPU model I think you are on the "basic unmetered" network?

This is what I'm getting on the lowest Pro plan:

Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                              |                           |                 |
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 916 Mbits/sec   | 861 Mbits/sec
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 916 Mbits/sec   | 866 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | busy
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 916 Mbits/sec   | 930 Mbits/sec
    Biznet                    | Bogor, Indonesia (1G)     | 16.3 Mbits/sec  | 70.9 Mbits/sec
    Hostkey                   | Moscow, RU (1G)           | 861 Mbits/sec   | 786 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 166 Mbits/sec   | 138 Mbits/sec
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 829 Mbits/sec   | 182 Mbits/sec

Some of their machines have odd "basic unmetered" notations and some machines have "Premium" notations, I am not sure how they determine which is which though.

• hzr said: Do you pay for the guaranteed bandwidth addon at all?

Afraid not.

HostSlick said: Turned out something on the Kernel he used,

Yeah, this is why I tried in rescue mode, but it doesn't look like it is my config.

ViridWeb said: Maybe you should open a support ticket so their staff can make some network adjustments if needed

I have, but after seeing the MTR and iperf3 tests, they decided there was no issue. But how can the iperf test show a great connection to my Hetzner server, whereas just wget-ing a file is abysmally slow?

• hzr said: Based on your CPU model I think you are on the "basic unmetered" network?

That's correct, I haven't ever used anything but the basic from them I think.

Can somebody here explain why the iperf shows good results whereas simply downloading a file is extremely slow? This is what baffles me most.

• hzrhzr Member

Is your iperf to your server directly or to online's iperf server?

They are on differently routed networks with different upstreams.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • ChronicChronic Member
    edited April 2020

hzr said: Is your iperf to your server directly or to online's iperf server?

Both Hetzner server to Online's iperf, and Online server to Hetzner's iperf were fine. But I admit I haven't done server-to-server. I will try that when I get back on the computer.

Edit: Well, I guess that answers that.

[email protected]:~$ iperf3 -c X.X.X.X -p 5201 -R
    Connecting to host X.X.X.X, port 5201
    Reverse mode, remote host X.X.X.X is sending
    [  4] local Y.Y.Y.Y port 36470 connected to X.X.X.X port 5201
    [ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  4]   0.00-1.00   sec   430 KBytes  3.52 Mbits/sec                  
    [  4]   1.00-2.00   sec   577 KBytes  4.73 Mbits/sec                  
    [  4]   2.00-3.00   sec   680 KBytes  5.57 Mbits/sec                  
    [  4]   3.00-4.00   sec   885 KBytes  7.25 Mbits/sec                  
    [  4]   4.00-5.00   sec   537 KBytes  4.40 Mbits/sec                  
    [  4]   5.00-6.00   sec   758 KBytes  6.21 Mbits/sec                  
    [  4]   6.00-7.00   sec   792 KBytes  6.49 Mbits/sec                  
    [  4]   7.00-8.00   sec   957 KBytes  7.84 Mbits/sec                  
    [  4]   8.00-9.00   sec  1.23 MBytes  10.3 Mbits/sec                  
    [  4]   9.00-10.00  sec  1.70 MBytes  14.3 Mbits/sec                  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr
    [  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  8.59 MBytes  7.21 Mbits/sec  178             sender
    [  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  8.54 MBytes  7.17 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.