Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what OS you recommend for Game Hosting ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what OS you recommend for Game Hosting ?

What OS you would use for hosing game servers like Cs 1.6 / Cs Go and SAMP?

Comments

• I don't run game servers but most people are using CentOS/Debian. This is because it has the ability to optimize the kernel and is very stable.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • what version you would recommend?

• I would go for CentOS 7.x but if the version will support CentOS 8.x , it would be great.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • I’d choose Debian personally nothing against CentOS use it more for web apps but did find a few roadblocks with the newer releases of it (may of been fixed). I use Debian 10 for mine.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • @DrFallen said:
    I’d choose Debian personally nothing against CentOS use it more for web apps but did find a few roadblocks with the newer releases of it (may of been fixed). I use Debian 10 for mine.

what are the fixes it has made ? if you can explain would be great.

i am hosting at the moment cs 1.6 but i look for other games too.

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

CS

doesn't it only work on windows server?

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Really - just don't use Windows unless you are forced to.

Debian or Ubuntu would be my preference. But there is nothing wrong with CentOS.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • @amsaal said:

@DrFallen said:
    I’d choose Debian personally nothing against CentOS use it more for web apps but did find a few roadblocks with the newer releases of it (may of been fixed). I use Debian 10 for mine.

what are the fixes it has made ? if you can explain would be great.

i am hosting at the moment cs 1.6 but i look for other games too.

I have no idea. I only tried 8 when it first came out. Didn’t seem to work with TF2 I’m not sure if it’s been fixed as I was looking for a friend. As an out of the box Debian is slightly easier to work with than CentOS from my experiences. There is plenty of stuff to help you out with either however.

@georgedatacenter said:
    CS

doesn't it only work on windows server?

Works on Linux it’s just listed as Counter Strike instead of CS 1.6 use appid 90 same as you would with Windows.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

right now i am using Debian 8 64 bit and i plan to move to Debian 10 64 bit but lets see what other people have to say then i can surely make a better decision :)

• systemfreakssystemfreaks Member, Patron Provider

i prefer centOS since i been using them for few years, but any of them will be fine as fast as its supported from the game.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

We run Centos for Minecraft game hosting and Ubuntu for source servers.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited April 2020

I happily use Debian (6-10) for my hl2 gameservers since I started hosting gameservers.
    For SAMP I'm not sure if there is a linux version of the dedicated server. However you can use MTA:SA, which has linux dedicated server files.

There are some tutorials around in the german gaming scene how to "tune" Debian 5, 6 and 7 kernels for CS 1.6 servers, however I have no Idea if they're actually worth it and I'm pretty sure they only get you a performance increase on a dedicated (non-virtual) server.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep

I use Centos with OGP & SwiftPanel

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

CentOS is prem

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • i configure debian 10 buster but issue is phymyadmin does not work by default :(

centos i was never able to install ogp and i tried every single docs but could be the source where i am trying has issue.

• AndruAndru Member

Source servers like CS performs very well on windows systems. Comparing to linux.. windows is handling a lot of more players than linux, eg CS:GO 64 slots works better on windows than linux.
    For small communities i prefer debian with 1000hz rt kernel.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • AndruAndru Member
    edited April 2020

OGP works like a charm on all supported OS. What i dont like on OGP is that on Centos 7 runs on php5.6.. but on debian/like systems runs php 7.2+, otherwise is a perfect game panel for me (i dont want tons of features). Another gamepanel that is easy is petroactyl (i hope i spell it right :) ).

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • petroactyl does not have cs 1.6 supported yet?

• SkuraSkura Member

Which game server panel you recommend ?> @amsaal said:

petroactyl does not have cs 1.6 supported yet? except OGP

especially for business

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • CLI only: Pick your Game, pick your OS, go:

https://linuxgsm.com/

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • I prefer Debian stable with backports. Fedora would be also ok, but CentOS i would never use. The packages are to old.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • @user54321 said:
    I prefer Debian stable with backports. Fedora would be also ok, but CentOS i would never use. The packages are to old.

which version? debian buster 10?

• pikepike Veteran

@zuby2402 said:
    windows is handling a lot of more players than linux

This highly depends on the server. Windows has a bigger overhead just for running the OS than any linux distro.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • @pike said:

@zuby2402 said:
    windows is handling a lot of more players than linux

This highly depends on the server. Windows has a bigger overhead just for running the OS than any linux distro.

And ddos protection is better in linux compare to windows .. more flexibility :)

• pikepike Veteran

I don't think there is a big difference in how Linux Distros handle incoming ddos. In the end, if your pipe is filled, you'll get packetloss no matter what OS you run. I had great experiences with php-friends and clouvider (even though they advertise only basic protection) during the last months running Teamspeak 3 and Garrysmod servers.

I'm excited to test buyvms Cloudflare "magic transit" protection, which is still under development. Purchased a slice just yesterday and waiting for it to be deployed.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • @pike said:
    I don't think there is a big difference in how Linux Distros handle incoming ddos. In the end, if your pipe is filled, you'll get packetloss no matter what OS you run. I had great experiences with php-friends and clouvider (even though they advertise only basic protection) during the last months running Teamspeak 3 and Garrysmod servers.

I'm excited to test buyvms Cloudflare "magic transit" protection, which is still under development. Purchased a slice just yesterday and waiting for it to be deployed.

Ok i have also used buyvm in past the guy is good with his customers :)

• SA-MP works best with Debian 8 or CentOS 7. Debian 9/10 will make your server crash on large online.

• @inteldome said:
    SA-MP works best with Debian 8 or CentOS 7. Debian 9/10 will make your server crash on large online.

why would it crash pls explain more becuz i am using 10 now

• acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited April 2020

All GoldSrc games were originally developed on Windows same with Cs 1.6

Gabe Newell founder of Valve was an ex Microsoft engineer

Linux port came years after ... I have always had the best luck running on Windows bare metal not a VPS, I currently use 2012r2 for my GoldSrc and Source games.

Thanked by 1amsaal