Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much Private game server take resources ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much Private game server take resources ?

SkuraSkura Member

Hello
I mean like Rust with X slots of player ( Let say maximum player 30)
Where I can know estimated usage of Ram, Disk storage, Cpu etc...
When it is empty server, and when it is full of players

thank you

Comments

• At the very least you need dual core VPS with 4-8 GB RAM depending on the load in the server. I would even go 4 cores since resources are usually shared and if the server is popular you will be constantly at 70-100% CPU with a VPS.

Instead I would recommend a cheap dedicated server.

• SkuraSkura Member

@stefeman said:
    At the very least you need dual core VPS with 4-8 GB RAM depending on the load in the server. I would even go 4 cores since resources are usually shared and if the server is popular you will be constantly at 70-100% CPU with a VPS.

I mean one game server will take 1Gb ram + X% cpu from Y cpu.

• There's no set way of saying what resources each game will use, theres minimum requirements for a reason but no maximum requirements. It entirely depends on whats happening on the server, map sizes etc. I would agree with stefeman that at least a dual core high performance CPU would be needed (E3, i7 etc) with 4-8GB RAM for up to 30 players.

I do know that rust servers are more resource intensive than other types of games, so its always worth having the extra wiggle room.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2020

@Skura said:

@stefeman said:
    At the very least you need dual core VPS with 4-8 GB RAM depending on the load in the server. I would even go 4 cores since resources are usually shared and if the server is popular you will be constantly at 70-100% CPU with a VPS.

full load, 30 players: 2-4 dedicated E3 cores depending on generation and 5-8 GB RAM and at least 100 Mbps port.

You wont get more specific info as nobody documents specific loads on X hardware with Y amount of players on game Z.

• SkuraSkura Member

@stefeman said:

@Skura said:

@stefeman said:

full load, 30 players: 2-4 dedicated E3 cores depending on generation and 5-8 GB RAM and at least 100 Mbps port.

You wont get more specific info as nobody documents specific loads on X hardware with Y amount of players on game Z.

Really? for 1 server???
    Wow So How to host few servers?
    Csgo take 500-1 GB ram and not a lot cpu

I have 8 cores
    16 gb ram
    400 gb storage

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Always high single core bench CPU for gameservers.
    Depending on your game they need more memory or less.
    SSD is not always needed but for some games its a must.

• If you are running unmodded rust, you can get away with a few gigs of ram but the moment you start adding mods then you need ram. Think in the 6-10gb range

• @Skura said:

@stefeman said:

@Skura said:

@stefeman said:

Really? for 1 server???
    Wow So How to host few servers?
    Csgo take 500-1 GB ram and not a lot cpu

I have 8 cores
    16 gb ram
    400 gb storage

You need multiple dedicated servers or single powerful one that comes with dual E5 CPUs or AMD EPYC. That's how gameserver providers do it.

Something like this: https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ax161
    Should be able to host several of them quite easily.

If you want to host 2 populated servers.
    This should be enough: https://www.soyoustart.com/ie/offers/1801sys47.xml

Of course you could cram many servers in one machine, but the performance would suck even if you have enough RAM. CPU is mostly the bottleneck, followed by RAM.. especially when you add mods as said above.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Pretty sure the devs recommend 8gb for one rust server without mods. I’d highly recommend limiting the cores each server users if you want to host more than one as I know on Windows it’ll just eat all of them. I’d say dual xeon was a lil overkill for what you’re looking for if it’s just one or two a strong core clock E3 or i7 (3ghz+) will do if going dedicated or similar to VPS just remember you won’t be the only one using the resources. May be easier going with a game server provider if unsure just a suggestion if you don’t want the headache. I know it’s not as cost effective.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2020

@DrFallen said:
    Pretty sure the devs recommend 8gb for one rust server without mods. I’d highly recommend limiting the cores each server users if you want to host more than one as I know on Windows it’ll just eat all of them. I’d say dual xeon was a lil overkill for what you’re looking for if it’s just one or two a strong core clock E3 or i7 (3ghz+) will do if going dedicated or similar to VPS just remember you won’t be the only one using the resources. May be easier going with a game server provider if unsure just a suggestion if you don’t want the headache. I know it’s not as cost effective.

He wants to host multiple rust servers from the same machine. So dual xeon is definitely not overkill then. Multiple as in, I have no idea how many but given how he speaks about CS:GO servers, hes probly a local game server provider.

Vilayer and Fragnet uses modern E3 or E5 16xx's in their servers and deploys usually 2-3 rust servers per machine.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host
    edited April 2020

stefeman said: You need multiple dedicated servers or single powerful one that comes with dual E5 CPUs or AMD EPYC. That's how gameserver providers do it.

@stefeman - Thanks for the recommendation! :D
    @Skura Please keep in mind that this model (and all our dedicated root servers) are unmanaged, so you'd need to do all the server setup and admin on your own.
    --Katie

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • SkuraSkura Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

stefeman said: You need multiple dedicated servers or single powerful one that comes with dual E5 CPUs or AMD EPYC. That's how gameserver providers do it.

Should be able to host several of them quite easily.

@stefeman - Thanks for the recommendation! :D
    @Skura Please keep in mind that this model (and all our dedicated root servers) are unmanaged, so you'd need to do all the server setup and admin on your own.
    --Katie

I already have a VPS with 7 cores + 16 GB +400 GB and it is managed + In locate in israel.

So how can you help xD?

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

If you have only used managed servers up until now, then the AX161 is not the right server for you. It is unmanaged. You will probably need a lot of support, but the AX161 does not include support. There is NO support for setting up your server, with software, with backups, with network configurations, with security, etc. The customers who use the AX161 do all of that themselves. It is designed for people who already have a lot of experience with server administration. I was trying to help by warning you about this. --Katie

• SkuraSkura Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    If you have only used managed servers up until now, then the AX161 is not the right server for you. It is unmanaged. You will probably need a lot of support, but the AX161 does not include support. There is NO support for setting up your server, with software, with backups, with network configurations, with security, etc. The customers who use the AX161 do all of that themselves. It is designed for people who already have a lot of experience with server administration. I was trying to help by warning you about this. --Katie

Yes I know. Thank you for that!

Can you offer Datacenter in Israel?

• @Skura said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

Hetzner are mostly Germany currently, some of the servers are available in Finland too.

• SkuraSkura Member

@WSCallum said:

@Skura said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

Hetzner are mostly Germany currently, some of the servers are available in Finland too.

If I am looking for Israel? I search at google not found something

• @Skura said:

@WSCallum said:

@Skura said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

If I am looking for Israel? I search at google not found something

Don't know of any that provide from in Isreal but you won't see Hetzner style pricing there either.

• SkuraSkura Member

Does anyone have a site the calculate any game usage?