Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has WebHostingTalk Got Hacked? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has WebHostingTalk Got Hacked?

2»

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@danceswithpugs said:
    I've lurked WHT on and off since 2005. Echoing others in that it's a shell of it's former self in terms of activity and clout. What factors do you folks feel led to their fall from grace?

Congrats on your first post

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@angstrom said:

@danceswithpugs said:
    I've lurked WHT on and off since 2005. Echoing others in that it's a shell of it's former self in terms of activity and clout. What factors do you folks feel led to their fall from grace?

It's good as a first post, at least not something like WHMCS lifetime license for 100$.

Thanked by 2Lee ViridWeb
  • @Lee said:

danceswithpugs said: I've lurked WHT on and off since 2005. Echoing others in that it's a shell of it's former self in terms of activity and clout. What factors do you folks feel led to their fall from grace?

The changing face of the web hosting industry and life in general.

Your average hoster does not need to be part of a forum in the same way they did 10 years ago that made WHT so big.

With the rise in popularity of big 'cloud' providers such as DO, there is less of a need to research and find the right host, therefore, less need for forums to be a part of.

For others, there are niche places like LET/LES/HostedTalk that are more appropriate than a general hosting forum.

For those that need help, there are places like the stack* websites that get faster and better responses than forums most of the time.

People are generally less reliant on hosting and hosting forums with all the social media outlets available now. Even software such as Discord has driven a lot of discussions away from forums in general.

The list goes on.

Right on @Lee. We're all witnessing the evolution of the hosting industry.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@armandorg said:

@angstrom said:

@danceswithpugs said:

It's good as a first post, at least not something like WHMCS lifetime license for 100$.

I agree. In fact, I was kind of shocked that it was a good first post :smile:

Thanked by 2armandorg ViridWeb
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Which means the end is clearly nigh. Mankind is supposed to go backwards, not forward.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited March 2020

I don't care about WHT (know it only very little) or hostballs, which even changed its name (to a boring one) and certainly not about LES.

For me LET is the community for all things hosting related and I'm very happy that @jbiloh 2020 is quite different from the jbiloh CC/Deluxe. And yes, I see changes, which feeds my hope to see LET recover and regain its position. Also those changes, i.e. real tangible progress, help us to restore our trust in LET and its future.

About the only reason to think about WHT at all is the question how to offer their users a new and better home here.
    As for LES, well, there is an old rule of communites which I already saw multiple times at work: users are running away fast to new presumably greener pastures, but more often than not they'll return albeit slower than they ran away. In the long run LES will be but a relatively small community of hardcore AS fans and/or jbiloh haters - IFF jbiloh continues the way he acts since he took over LET/LEB.

Anyway, let's not waste time discussing the others but rather use our energy to repair and grow our LET community!

Thanked by 1Synatiq
  • LeeLee Veteran

jsg said: As for LES

LES is a good place for the right people, some just don't fit in, do they.

@Lee said:

jsg said: As for LES

LES is a good place for the right people, some just don't fit in, do they.

That's just another, more positivistic, version of what I said.
    And yes (as you probably meant to indicate) I wouldn't fit in well there. So what? It seems I fit in quite well here and that happens to be what I prefer anyway.

I do not wish the other communities to fail. I simply don't care, I'm focused on LET and it regaining its strength and position.

• LeeLee Veteran

jsg said: I do not wish the other communities to fail. I simply don't care, I'm focused on LET and it regaining its strength and position.

You believe what you want, bookmark this comment.

Biloh is just trying to get the place in the best position to sell it.

You can come back and thank me when it happens for seeing through all his BS.

Thanked by 2Unbelievable Wolveix
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

deank said: WHT was doomed to fail when the original owner sold it to a corporate in early 2000.

I am unsure whether it was sold again after but the first company did okay, keeping the original owner as a mod. Things got worse after paid membership thingy started to kick in.

At one point, it was obvious that it was becoming a police state with no opinions (that don't align with their views) allowed.

I stopped visiting WHT years and years ago because it was clear that actual consumers were not on the website anymore, it was just a number of hosting providers. That number of hosting providers has dwindled and dwindled the past few years because the reason for those providers to invest time has diminished further (there are no users/buyers on WHT anymore).

• LeeLee Veteran

jbiloh said: I stopped visiting WHT years and years ago because it was clear that actual consumers were not on the website anymore

Nothing to do with Chris getting caught shilling for CC brands and getting banned?

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

Lee said: Nothing to do with Chris getting caught shilling for CC brands and getting banned?

Who? I am not sure I know this.

• @mechanicsweb - don't want to miss gossip from years ago?

@Lee said:
    You believe what you want, bookmark this comment.

Biloh is just trying to get the place in the best position to sell it.

You can come back and thank me when it happens for seeing through all his BS.

Maybe I'm blue-eyed and stupid and maybe my not yet being here for many years is a factor but I don't focus on @jbiloh years ago and in a completely different setting; I care about what I see now and here - and I'm committed to contribute to jbiloh's efforts. If that leads to me looking stupid one day in the future, so be it.
    But, you see, LET - that is, OUR community - doesn't live from or get better by having this or that reason to not contribute, but only by having reasons to contribute.

If my (increasingly and IMO deserved and earned) trusting jbiloh turns out to be justified I will have done something positive. If not then I will still have done something positive, but I'll look like an idiot. I'm willing to take that risk because LET means something to me.

• @Lee said:

jbiloh said: I don't agree with you on that. I think progress here has been fantastic the past few months. Traffic is way up, too.

You're a salesman, of course, you don't agree, but it is still no better in terms of content than any of the competition.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I think 90% of WHT's traffic is "check the offers" so that people can spam their sigs. If they banned on sigs on WHT, traffic would drop to zero.

It's amazing to read that site and see how provider is just a clone of each another...

jbiloh said: I stopped visiting WHT years and years ago because it was clear that actual consumers were not on the website anymore, it was just a number of hosting providers.

This is true, it's just a big echo chamber.

Lee said: Your average hoster does not need to be part of a forum in the same way they did 10 years ago that made WHT so big.

With the rise in popularity of big 'cloud' providers such as DO, there is less of a need to research and find the right host, therefore, less need for forums to be a part of.

True. LET still has a niche and enough personality to survive but WHT was always just an advertising forum.

Thanked by 1Synatiq
  • WHT is just not good enough anymore: I've been diligently visiting the offers for months now and have only seen a couple of interesting offers. LET and the others usually provide the same number of offers in 1-2 weeks.