Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

China Unicom activates 500Gbps of trans-Russian (TTK) capacity to Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

China Unicom activates 500Gbps of trans-Russian (TTK) capacity to Europe

Just saw this: https://www.submarinenetworks.com/en/systems/eurasia-terrestrial/ermc/ttk-activates-multiple-100g-eurasia-links-for-china-unicom
Routing:
https://www.submarinenetworks.com/en/eurasia-terrestrial

From here in Frankfurt to China Unicom's router in DE-CIX to China is only ~162ms which is crazy low! I'm loving the new low latency from Europe to Asia via Russia.

Comments

• wow

• nature1 said: to China is only ~162ms

What was the avg before?

• greattomeetyou, ~200ms if its trans-Singapore or ~320ms if its trans-US.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

162ms to China, still needs fucking 300ms to that tiny island.

• will it help others in SEA region? Like Thailand, Singapore etc?

• if it connects to japan, would be pretty nice.

• nature1nature1 Member
    edited March 2020

muratai, the SE Asia/South Asia region data traffic is hubbed mostly in Singapore & India (Mumbai/Chennai). There's 2 new subsea cables which depending on ISP has a low latency of ~150ms Singapore to Paris: http://www.seamewe5.com/wp-content/uploads/TTI_poster_SMW5_A0_2019_1.3-1.jpg With SEA-ME-WE-5 there's also the slightly older AAE-1 cable. As far for Japan, I'm not aware of any Japanese ISPs using Russian transit to Europe probably due to geo-political reasons. There is both the RJCN cable and HSCS cable linking the Russia Far East to Tokyo and I DO know both Rostelecom & Transtelecom (TTK) have a POPs in Tokyo and Hong Kong. I've verified through traceroutes that Rostelecom has IP transit with PCCW out of Hong Kong. I haven't seen any Asian IP transit for TTK. I also know China Telecom/Unicom have long had a direct route to Russia but this is the first time there is substantial capacity shift in Europe traffic on China Unicom via Russia.

• Good to see this. Another huge Chinese ISP China Telecom has a premium link which makes EU to China in less than 100ms possible. Sounds crazy, but I don't know any Chinese IP that goes through this link. It's practically unused.

China Unicom's most EU-targeted traffic is transited in the US, making latency and loss sky high. Would be good to see an improve in light of this new link.

• brycebryce Member

Which VPS providers here with Frankfurt location benefit from this directly?

• pikepike Veteran

@Kousaka said:
    Good to see this. Another huge Chinese ISP China Telecom has a premium link which makes EU to China in less than 100ms possible.

Is this even possible (physically)?

• @pike said:

@Kousaka said:
    Good to see this. Another huge Chinese ISP China Telecom has a premium link which makes EU to China in less than 100ms possible.

Is this even possible (physically)?

Ah forgot to mention that one end needs to be Urumqi in Xinjiang (central Asia). If pinging from Beijing or other cities, latency is higher than 110. Still quite good.

Thanked by 1pike
  • Wow, I'll remember this thread next time I bitch about 80ms cross Canada latency.

Thanked by 2pike vimalware
  • pikepike Veteran

@TimboJones said:
    Wow, I'll remember this thread next time I bitch about 80ms cross Canada latency.

It never stops, even me starts bitching about 25ms to DE-CIX whenever I come across some lucky DTAG DSL customer with 10ms.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

muratai said: Singapore

Singapore is usually pretty good. Usually around 180ms to SingTel and StarHub from CZ.

Thanked by 1dedimark
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

muratai said: will it help others in SEA region? Like Thailand, Singapore etc?

It could help Hong Kong, but I guess you need to purchase transit from China Unicom to benefit from their cable, and I doubt many outside China will do that (or even will be offered reasonable prices by CU), even in HK.