Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I know if a provider is reselling their services without buying them to try?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can I know if a provider is reselling their services without buying them to try?

I've seen couple of providers on the internet that have ridiculously low prices and offer high amounts of RAM, SSD Storage, BW and other stuff. Since the prices look way too cheap, how can I know if they are reselling or not? And is reselling even allowed? I'm trying to find a method/way to distinguish bad providers from good without needing to spend money to actually try each of their services and go through the trouble of ordering, providing them with my credit card details and such.

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Throccex said:
    I've seen couple of providers on the internet that have ridiculously low prices and offer high amounts of RAM, SSD Storage, BW and other stuff. Since the prices look way too cheap, how can I know if they are reselling or not? And is reselling even allowed? I'm trying to find a method/way to distinguish bad providers from good without needing to spend money to actually try each of their services and go through the trouble of ordering, providing them with my credit card details and such.

Congrats on your first post

At the end of the day, most providers resell something.

You can always ask a particular provider if they're a reseller. Being a reseller doesn't necessarily mean bad.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited March 2020

@Throccex said:
    I've seen couple of providers on the internet that have ridiculously low prices and offer high amounts of RAM, SSD Storage, BW and other stuff. Since the prices look way too cheap, how can I know if they are reselling or not? And is reselling even allowed?

If their service is good and price fits your budget, why does it matter?

• pikepike Veteran

@Throccex said:
    I'm trying to find a method/way to distinguish bad providers from good without needing to spend money to actually try each of their services and go through the trouble of ordering, providing them with my credit card details and such.

Provider with own datacenter > provider that colocates own hardware with onsite staff/office > provider that colocates own hardware but relies on remotehands of the DC > provider that "resells" dedicated servers as VPS/Webhosting with own IPs > provider that "resells" dedicated servers as VPS/Webhosting without own IPs > providers that resell VPS from another provider

Of course this rating doesnt mean there are no shitty providers with own datacenter, also it doesnt mean there are no decent providers reselling dedicated servers. It's just a "rule of the thumb".

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@pike said:

@Throccex said:
    I'm trying to find a method/way to distinguish bad providers from good without needing to spend money to actually try each of their services and go through the trouble of ordering, providing them with my credit card details and such.

Provider with own datacenter > provider that colocates own hardware with onsite staff/office > provider that colocates own hardware but relies on remotehands of the DC > provider that "resells" dedicated servers as VPS/Webhosting with own IPs > provider that "resells" dedicated servers as VPS/Webhosting without own IPs > providers that resell VPS from another provider

Of course this rating doesnt mean there are no shitty providers with own datacenter, also it doesnt mean there are no decent providers reselling dedicated servers. It's just a "rule of the thumb".

Naturally, a provider with their own datacenter won't suddenly appear as a summer host, so a provider with their own datacenter has probably been around for a while and has built a positive reputation.

Ultimately, it's about reputation, and it's always hard and takes time to build a positive reputation. This holds across the board.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Just ask them directly and in parallel you can also ask on forums.

Thanked by 1Throccex
  • SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

Everyone's reselling something. Even provider with own datacenter is reselling you power. :smile:

• I see... Thank's for your input guys.

• HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

As a reseller myself when asked, I will tell them I am. Just make sure your provider has good enough reviews, and check their refund policy ( In case they don't perform, you know you have X days to ask for a refund ).

Thanked by 1kp93
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

angstrom said: Naturally, a provider with their own datacenter won't suddenly appear as a summer host, so a provider with their own datacenter has probably been around for a while and has built a positive reputation.

They can burst pretty fast though (BurstNet)!

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

Reselling isn't a bad thing. Nor is Overselling. Many decent providers started as resellers and went on to build their brand. Many brand shattered in dust.

Every provider oversells. Overselling doesn't mean overloading. If a provider is overloading their server, that's a concern and you would probably want to avoid them.

Get in touch with the provider of your interest. Ask a few questions even if you know the answers. How they answer might give you some hints on whether they might be good choice for you or not.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@perennate said:
    They can burst pretty fast though (BurstNet)!

Their downfall was partially due to one of their bigger resellers running with gears.

• @Hostlovin said:
    As a reseller myself when asked, I will tell them I am. Just make sure your provider has good enough reviews, and check their refund policy ( In case they don't perform, you know you have X days to ask for a refund ).

What prevent them from going to your provider directly

Thanked by 1jugganuts
  • HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2020

Since the prices look way too cheap, how can I know if they are reselling or not?

You can ask for their test ip and you can check which isp/datacenter they belong to (https://check-host.net/). If provider's name and datacenter name matchs then walla you have found the golden pot which are ofcourse rare.

• I am also expeirenced this> @Throccex said:

You are right, but not all are equal. I also have experience with a provider on found on LET. His service was almost fine but he suddenly stopped his service.