Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ipv6 Issue...!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ipv6 Issue...!

Hi,
I have got a VPS which only supports IPv6. I am a bit beginner so please guide me that how can I connect it via SSH. I have used putty to [my ipv6] on port 22 but it only shows network error. Why? Also when I go to my Ip [my ipv6] in Firefox or Chrome it says "Unreachable". Please Help me This is Frustrating.

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Do you have IPv6 connectivity from where you are connecting from? Can you ping/connect to other IPv6 addresses?

• @Mr_Tom said:
    Do you have IPv6 connectivity from where you are connecting from? Can you ping/connect to other IPv6 addresses?

How Do I check That?

• Have you configured IPv6 on your computer/machine?

Can you ping the server's IPv6 address?

• It shows this"
    Ready for the future of the Internet?

No problems detected.

You don’t have IPv6, but you shouldn’t have problems on websites that add IPv6 support.

Learn more about IPv6, or read about World IPv6 Launch.
    Google "
    What does it Mean? How can I connect to IPv6?

• @PhilTechie said:
    Have you configured IPv6 on your computer/machine?

When I ping ipv6.google.com it shows "ping: unknown host ipv6.google.com"

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@hanzen said:
    I have got a VPS which only supports IPv6. I am a bit beginner so please guide me that how can I connect it via SSH. I have used putty to [my ipv6] on port 22 but it only shows network error. Why? Also when I go to my Ip [my ipv6] in Firefox or Chrome it says "Unreachable". Please Help me This is Frustrating.

Why did you get an IPv6-only VPS if you didn't even know whether you had IPv6 locally? (It appears that you don't have IPv6 locally.)

If you have another VPS that supports both IPv4 and IPv6, then you can connect to your IPv6-only VPS from the VPS that supports both IPv4 and IPv6.

• Is this your ONLY VPS or do you have another system which runs both?

I sometimes find myself at locations that have no IPv6 and use socat [on another VPS] as a quick and dirty way of getting shell access if I need it.

socat -d -d \
    TCP4-LISTEN:2200,bind=123.123.123.123,fork,reuseaddr \
    TCP6:[fdfd:123:123:123::1]:22 0<&- 1>>${HOME}/socat.log 2>&1 &

Then 'ssh -p 2200 123.123.123.123' will actually connect to port 22 on the IPv6 system.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@hanzen said:

@PhilTechie said:
    Have you configured IPv6 on your computer/machine?

When I ping ipv6.google.com it shows "ping: unknown host ipv6.google.com"

Maybe your ISP doesn't have IPv6 support. Confirm with your ISP or use some tunnel broker service

Eg: https://tunnelbroker.net/

• hanzenhanzen Member
    edited March 2020

@angstrom said:

@hanzen said:

Why did you get an IPv6-only VPS if you didn't even know whether you had IPv6 locally? (It appears that you don't have IPv6 locally.)

If you have another VPS that supports both IPv4 and IPv6, then you can connect to your IPv6-only VPS from the VPS that supports both IPv4 and IPv6.

Nope I do not Have any Other VPS. Actually it is a Free VPS from euserv.com which does not offer Ipv4 for free. So, I just wanted to Try it out. Is there No Way I can access it with this network? Please guide if I can configure it some way.

@hanzen said:

@angstrom said:

@hanzen said:

Nope I do not Have any Other VPS. Actually it is a Free VPS from euserv.com which does not offer Ipv4 for free. So, I just wanted to Try it out. Is there No Way I can access it with this network? Please guide if I can configure it some way.

euserv.com seems to be unreachable at the moment, but if they offer a control panel with noVNC, you can access your VPS via noVNC

• @hanzen said:

@angstrom said:

@hanzen said:

There is no way. You need IPv6. There's a reason it's free.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 2020

There is a way. Create a 6to4 tunnel, and then you will have IPv6 on your machine, to access your server.

For this you need an IPv6 over IPv4. You can get one free at tunnelbroker.net and use the instructions provided there to configure IPv6 on your machine (Linux, Windows, whatever). After you configured it on your computer, you may access IPv6 on server.

Thanked by 1hanzen
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@hanzen said:

@angstrom said:

@hanzen said:

Already provided the way on my previous comment.

Your have no IPv6 so

Use https://tunnelbroker.net/

Just curious because I've never tried: does HE tunnel broker work well with a residential IPv4?

The OP must have https://www.euserv.com/en/virtual-private-server/root-vserver/v2/vs2-free.php , which must be OVZ (probably OVZ-7).

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2020

angstrom said: Just curious because I've never tried: does HE tunnel broker work well with a residential IPv4?

A residential IP can be two things:

• Dynamic; when you get a public IPv4 which changes from time to time; You will need to update your tunnel endpoint on HE.net's side every time your IP changes. There's a kind of API (URL to load with curl), so you can automate that;
    • NAT'ed/CGNAT/"private"; When your ISP doesn't actually provide you a dedicated public IPv4, but shares each of those across multiple customers. Bad news, HE.net tunnel will not work with that. It might still work if you're extremely lucky (your ISP CGNAT responds to ping AND there are no other HE.net users at that ISP), but likely to be very unreliable.

By now quite often it will be the 2nd of those, so I'd be cautious to suggest that tunnelbroker.net is a no-brainer guaranteed way to easily get IPv6 if you don't have it.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@rm_ said:

angstrom said: Just curious because I've never tried: does HE tunnel broker work well with a residential IPv4?

A residential IP can be two things:

• Dynamic; when you get a public IPv4 which changes from time to time; You will need to update your tunnel endpoint on HE.net's side every time your IP changes. There's a kind of API (URL to load with curl), so you can automate that;
    • NAT'ed/CGNAT/"private"; When your ISP doesn't actually provide you a dedicated public IPv4, but shares each of those across multiple customers. Bad news, HE.net tunnel will not work with that. It might still work if you're extremely lucky (your ISP CGNAT responds to ping AND there are no other HE.net users at that ISP), but likely to be very unreliable.

By now quite often it will be the 2nd of those, so I'd be cautious to suggest that tunnelbroker.net is a no-brainer guaranteed way to easily get IPv6 if you don't have it.

I agree.

It seems to me that the best strategy in practice would be to get an inexpensive VPS (OVZ would be fine) that supports both IPv4 and IPv6, which one could then use to connect to the free IPv6-only VPS.

• @angstrom said:
    It seems to me that the best strategy in practice would be to get an inexpensive VPS (OVZ would be fine) that supports both IPv4 and IPv6, which one could then use to connect to the free IPv6-only VPS.

In that case, maybe @cam could come up with a NAT VPS offer.

Thanked by 1Cam
  • CamCam Member, Patron Provider

@default said:

@angstrom said:

Sure thing! If $2/year is in your budget you could use one of my nats as a ssh proxy or just use it for your project in general.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/163063/gullos-hosting-2-year-vps-ny-la-chi-pen-ca-de-fin-bg

Thanked by 1angstrom
    edited March 2020

@Cam said:

@default said:

@angstrom said:

Sure thing! If $2/year is in your budget you could use one of my nats as a ssh proxy or just use it for your project in general.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/163063/gullos-hosting-2-year-vps-ny-la-chi-pen-ca-de-fin-bg

It's more for the OP than for me, :wink: but -- yeah -- a great deal!

Thanked by 1Cam
  • @hanzen said:

It shows this"
    Ready for the future of the Internet?

No problems detected.

You don’t have IPv6, but you shouldn’t have problems on websites that add IPv6 support.

Learn more about IPv6, or read about World IPv6 Launch.
    Google "
    What does it Mean? How can I connect to IPv6?

Use a tunnelbroker or a VPN with IPv6