Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS or Dedi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS or Dedi?

tjntjn Member
edited March 2020 in General

Hello all,

I currently have several VPS' that are a mixed bag of small cPanel servers and NGINX/Apache hosts. The idea is to convert them all to DirectAdmin but I'm having trouble trying to decide between switching to a dedicated server, or sticking to VPS'.

Apart from budget, the main deciding factors are location and storage requirements.

I need about 300GB of storage (SDD/NVMe) and it all needs to based out of the UK - preferably, London.

Obviously, I'd like to spend as little as possible whilst providing a decent service.
Thus, the dilemma - so many providers, so many options. I'm hoping you can all help me decide.

I've kind of narrowed it down to a few possible options:

1 - Linode/Similar provider - £100.42/month (Inc VAT)
Their 16GB VPS comes with 320GB of space @ $80/month + DA @ $29 = $109

2 - IntoVPS - £101.34/month (Inc VAT)
The M16 comes with 120GB @ $40 each.
The M12 comes with 90GB @ $30.
DirectAdmin is included.
@intovps I don't suppose you have any custom plans, or maybe block storage is coming to London soon?

So, 2xM16($80) + 1xM12($30) = 330GB @ $110

3 - Clouvider - £110.4/month (Inc VAT)
E3-1270V6
32GB of RAM
1x 512GB NVMe
4xIPv4's (it's a dedi, I'm virtualising things now)
DirectAdmin included, for as many VM's as I want
@Clouvider don't suppose there's a sale coming soon or a special offer I haven't noticed?

4 - OVH - ~£115/month (Inc VAT and 1xDA)
Intel Xeon-E 2136 - 6c
64Gb of RAM
2x 450GB NVMe
5x IPv4's
No DA

As you can see, there isn't a huge difference between them in terms of pricing.
At first, I thought I'd get a "big" (or 2) dedicated server and consolidated all my VM's - I knew IPv4 was expensive, but jeez...

• At first IntoVPS was my first choice, but then I realised that I'd need 3 hosts just to get enough storage.
  • A dedi will allow me to consolidate some other VM's by running my own hypervisor, but IPv4's ain't cheap if you need 20 of them.
  • Clouvider means I don't have to worry about any licensing costs at all.
  • A dedi has more management overhead.
  • A hardware failure on dedi is harder to manage.

Feedback, opinions, help, alternative options I have not yet thought of - all welcome!

Thanks all!

Comments

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

i'm in a similar boat....

We need about 100GB + of storage for a project for hosting a few local sites.... (debating on cPanel or DA)

I can't decide between a dedicated or a good VPS or 2 or maybe a Public Cloud server to take the hardware headache away.

If your after dedicated in the UK, check out the pre racked servers on easyspace.com I just got a dell with e3-1240 and 2x 240gb in SSD hardware raid for £30 a month. Their control panel monitors the hardware raid for you and you can setup alerts... They use Rapidswitch / IOMART - also Rapid switch had some £35 server today.

• i personally suggest to stay with vps to be safe or if u really want to had to go with one server then go with @ovhcom @Clouvider if UK if u can work with germany the .... support i will suggest to go with @Hetzner_OL too
    but if you are looking for something cheap + big storage + medium performance then i will suggest to try contabo (uptime is good support is a bit slow but phone call works staff is good )

my second option to go with @Francisco with block storage :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

jokymic said: my second option to go with @Francisco with block storage

Personally, this is my #1 option.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jokymic
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

We'd love to have you onboard! I would however suggest RAID for anything in production.

tjn said: @Clouvider don't suppose there's a sale coming soon or a special offer I haven't noticed?

We have a few E3's on our promotional offers page, however theres just the unmetered servers remaining last I checked. We are starting to transition towards the new E-2xxx servers in London.

• tjntjn Member
    edited March 2020

@jokymic if Hetzner or @Francisco had UK POPs it'd already be a done deal :wink:

@Francisco when oh when are you going to get a UK POP? :)
    I think I know what your reply will be - if I do, just ban adult content on your UK nodes? haha

@Clouvider I'd love to come onboard! You're right, I would need RAID.

We are starting to transition towards the new E-2xxx servers in London.

I haven't kept up to date with what processors are available these days, does this mean your servers are about to get more expensive?

Cheeky question - I don't suppose there's anything you could do to nudge the price down a bit?

@experttechit never heard of easyspace.com - good deals though. What's the catch? lol

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@tjn said:

I haven't kept up to date with what processors are available these days, does this mean your servers are about to get more expensive?

Not as such, just moving forward with new generations of hardware - there is no point in investing in older generations. We did this same approach when the E3's (v5 and v6) launched.

Cheeky question - I don't suppose there's anything you could do to nudge the price down a bit?

Open a ticket with sales and they will see what we can do for you ;)

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

@tjn said:
    @jokymic if Hetzner or @Francisco had UK POPs it'd already be a done deal :wink:

@Francisco when oh when are you going to get a UK POP? :)
    I think I know what your reply will be - if I do, just ban adult content on your UK nodes? haha

@experttechit never heard of easyspace.com - good deals though. What's the catch? lol

EasySpace is part of IOMART - A massive company, you know when you wake up they will still be there, also maidenhead is a great DC and includes ddos - no management thou.