Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap computer power?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap computer power?

KaribuKaribu Member
edited March 2020 in Requests

Hello,
I am looking for some cheap computer power to run rendering / distributed computing (CPU), ideally >8 cores.
I don't need much Ram, nor bandwidth, nor disk space or redundancy. Just CPU power for parallel / Distributed calculations.

Is there any service that I could use for this? Anywhere in the world, as long as I got SSH, I'm good ;)
I am using Kimsufi servers or some deals there and there when I see, and it works great, but I'd like to take it further.

Thank you

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Congrats on your first post

(Good luck with your budget)

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Feel free to check KVM Compute 8C package - wishosting.com

• Thanks Angstrom,
    I am currently testing the 2x E5-2650L v2 (40 Threads) from Reprisehosting
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/163260/20-dedicated-servers-reseller-discount-10-core-xeons-ipmi-double-ram-promo-unmetered-bw
    They just delivered it to me.

And I am trying to test joesdatacenter with their 2x X5650 (24 Threads) but they are less responsive. Still pending.

For wishosting, it's not too bad, but alphavps offer the same CPU in a Dual Intel Xeon E5-2450L (32 threads) machine for 42 euros with VAT. The ratio price/CPU is in their advantage. (But not as good as the 2 previous I shared).

Not sure if any other providers could work.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@Karibu said:
    Thanks Angstrom,
    I am currently testing the 2x E5-2650L v2 (40 Threads) from Reprisehosting
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/163260/20-dedicated-servers-reseller-discount-10-core-xeons-ipmi-double-ram-promo-unmetered-bw
    They just delivered it to me.

And I am trying to test joesdatacenter with their 2x X5650 (24 Threads) but they are less responsive. Still pending.

For wishosting, it's not too bad, but alphavps offer the same CPU in a Dual Intel Xeon E5-2450L (32 threads) machine for 42 euros with VAT. The ratio price/CPU is in their advantage. (But not as good as the 2 previous I shared).

Not sure if any other providers could work.

Is that a Advertisement? Because you have said that you are using Kimsufi right now..

Anyway you can try Hetzner's Ryzen or Epyc model.
    They are very good in compare with 2nd gen E5 xeon

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • KaribuKaribu Member
    edited March 2020

Hi ViridWeb, looks like I do advertisement for many providers then ;)

I am using kimsufi at the moment and i've been happy with it for hosting purpose.
    I am testing new providers now for better CPU power / Price ratio to take it further.

I just received today from Reprisehosting and doing my test, and I wait joesdatacenter answer to do the same.

I wanted to test Hetzner's Ryzen, but their one off setup fees make it expansive to test.

Any other I should check? Focusing on CPU/Price ratio

Thank you

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@Karibu said:
    Hi ViridWeb, looks like I do advertisement for many providers then ;)

I am using kimsufi at the moment and i've been happy with it for hosting purpose.
    I am testing new providers now for better CPU power / Price ratio to take it further.

I just received today from Reprisehosting and doing my test, and I wait joesdatacenter answer to do the same.

I wanted to test Hetzner's Ryzen, but their one off setup fees make it expansive to test.

Any other I should check? Focusing on CPU/Price ratio

Thank you

Try Hetzner's auction section. They have few Ryzen 7 1700X without setup fee.

Do you have any preferred location?
    If no then try Reliablesite @MrRadic

Thanked by 2MrRadic Hetzner_OL
  • Thanks for sharing. Checking now

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

We can offer some strong 2680v3 12c/24t per CPU servers. We have some rendering clients, who very likes them and ordering more and more. Can be single CPU or DUAL CPU. Prices are very affordable.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2680+v3+@+2.50GHz&id=2390

Please let me know if you are interested. [email protected]

• It's a good CPU, can you let me know the pricing? (I don't need much HDD, bandwidth and I don't even need a redundancy)

Thanks

@Karibu said:
    It's a good CPU, can you let me know the pricing? (I don't need much HDD, bandwidth and I don't even need a redundancy)

Thanks

Single or a dual CPU? Single 2680v3 CPU with a 16GB RAM and single HDD should cost around 80 euro/month

• Thanks. I need to validate Joesdatacenter first then, they offer Dual X5650 for 34 USD. (Older CPU). But they got a score of 7269 (x2 = 14500) vs 18471 for the Xeon E5-2680 v3. So a ratio of 467 CPU mark for 1 EUR, vs 231 CPU mark for 1 eur with your solution.

Obviously it's not a scientific approach, but it still give a first idea.

@Karibu said:
    Thanks. I need to validate Joesdatacenter first then, they offer Dual X5650 for 34 USD. (Older CPU). But they got a score of 7269 (x2 = 14500) vs 18471 for the Xeon E5-2680 v3. So a ratio of 467 CPU mark for 1 EUR, vs 231 CPU mark for 1 eur with your solution.

Obviously it's not a scientific approach, but it still give a first idea.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+X5650+@+2.67GHz&id=1304&cpuCount=2

it is very old CPU and I would not trust in benchmarks. Only the real works shows real performance.
    We can offer you a 2 - 3 days test.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2020

Rendering on old CPU - Big no no. Waste of energy and time.

For an example, Ryzen 3600 beats the hell out of Ryzen 2700x.

• @deank said:
    Rendering on old CPU - Big no no. Waste of energy and time.

For an example, Ryzen 3600 beats the hell out of Ryzen 2700x.

Yes, for sure! The difficulty is to find the right ratio price/power.

I'm testing the 2x E5-2650L v2 (40 threads), my Ryzen 3900 (24 threads) at home, is doing 80% more work than this E5. But the E5 is at 50 USD a month only.

I will explore some Ryzen conf that I can rent.

• KaribuKaribu Member
    edited March 2020

https://www.euserv.com/en/dedicated-server/instant64-rootserver/v6/instant64-ar-ssd-v6.php seems to be a good solution as well.

Ryzen 7 3700x for 48eur a month, but they have 107e of setup fee if I take 1 month only. Gloups. (And without VAT)
    It should slightly beat Reprisehosting actually.

Edit: I found some benchmark for some CPU intensive calculation
    https://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/cpu_list.php
    It could help me to calculate the flops of the machine versus price to ease my selection.

But we will also test with real load

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Buy the gear and do it at home. Simple as, end of.

• It is what I started, but my WAF is very low
    (Wife Acceptance Factor) hahaha.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @deank said:
    Buy the gear and do it at home. Simple as, end of.

Yeah, he can just distribute it throughout his home.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@ViridWeb said:
    Do you have any preferred location?
    If no then try Reliablesite @MrRadic

Thanks for the mention!