Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waveride VPS DOWN - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Waveride VPS DOWN

2»

Comments

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited November 2013

@Maounique This is Really unstable compared to other hosts/VPS, Not sure if this is just over the past few days, Or if its because the server is overloaded due to the pricing to specs that is setup.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2013

@AutoSnipe said:
    But don't worry they will suspend you at a moments notice of a fake dmca request.
    And then will wait 2 weeks to reactivate it.

Your insane i guess? :)

We ignore most* DMCA in Austria, thats widely known - EDIS is one of the most "abuse friendly" ISPs in this segment even.

* = By law a DMCA complaint recertified by an Austrian court would have to be accepted by us, this however is only possible if a law is violated that has a similar one here (which, currently, is not the case).

• @William said:
    We ignore all DMCA in Austria, thats widely known - EDIS is one of the most "abuse friendly" ISPs in this segment even.

I would not call it "friendly". You simply follow local law.

Nonetheless a statement about this alleged outage would be appreciated.

• Well, yes, but still ;)

I don't have any information about downtime from emergency staff from the weekend - There was DDoS on some days which was targeted at Waveride customers and did cause issues (in general, not only WR - but there more), so that was likely that.

• @William said:
    Well, yes, but still ;)

Still, you follow local law and this is all you need to do. Thats not abuse "friendly".

I don't have any information about downtime from emergency staff from the weekend - There was DDoS on some days which was targeted at Waveride customers and did cause issues (in general, not only WR - but there more), so that was likely that.

So you wouldnt know of any 36 hours downtime as mentioned in the original posting?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2013

We could still apply DMCA if we wanted - It would not be illegal to enforce it by Austrian law and is recommended, so "friendly".

Most actually even do enforce it (ex. Castlegem, as his Upstream does - Telekom Austria, Tel2, UPC sometimes, all US carriers in AT (Level3 etc), Nessus, Cyberservice...).

So you wouldnt know of any 36 hours downtime as mentioned in the original posting?

No, i know only about a few packs of a few minutes each while BGP was resyncing and/or the attack was hitting very hard/first.

We also do monitor the Waveride nodes just like any EDIS nodes, same tools, same warnings/notifications, same NOC.

If it is down our NOC is notified 24/7 and fixes it, the same as for any EDIS server.

So no, just because you don't see the support in the front it does not mean that we aren't still working on and monitoring it at any time :)

• @William said:
    No, that's not correct as we could still apply DMCA if we wanted - It would not be illegal to enforce it by Austrian law and is recommended, so "friendly".

Most actually even do enforce (ex. Castlegem, as his Upstream does enforce it - Telekom Austria, Tel2, UPC sometimes, all US carriers in AT (Level3 etc).).

What is not correct? You do not need to follow the DMCA, period. If you do and its not violating Austrian jurisdiction it is another story.

US carriers naturally have to enforce it, UPC having ties to the US would also need to follow it. Telekom Austria on the other hand would be yet another story .....

• ok, correct, just not like i want to see it :)

UPC is owned by an US investment company (Liberty Global) but i don't think that automatically grants DMCA enforceability in i.e. Austria or Hungary but it is of course more likely.

Telekom Austria has you follow any abuse.

• @William said:
    We could still apply DMCA if we wanted - It would not be illegal to enforce it by Austrian law and is recommended, so "friendly".

Most actually even do enforce it (ex. Castlegem, as his Upstream does - Telekom Austria, Tel2, UPC sometimes, all US carriers in AT (Level3 etc), Nessus, Cyberservice...).

I don't remember any DMCA notices for any of our AT clients off hand (we get very few overall). As such, I cant remember getting any notices from our AT transit feed (AS8218) either at the moment.

It isn't about DMCAs per se either - but about copyright infringement and abuse notices in general. If we receive complaints, they will be passed on to the client to work it out together.

cheers -
    Oz.

• OP here... The issue is still un-resolved... There was one reply to the ticket on monday, it was un-helpful. and there has been no updates since then... The issue is clearly with the node, not the VPS... (IPv6 to the VPS works,, it is only the IPv4, that is having issues... ( I have provided them with Traceroutes, logs etc... )

Thanks for everyone who chimed in.. I knew the VPS does not come with support.. I'm can manage the VPS without any support, but when it is a node issue, I cannot do anything, other than to raise a ticket to the provider.....

I was ok with an occasional node reboots, but this kind of extended downtine is simple unacceptable... fortunately, i had the sense not to host any important stuff in the VPS.. So most likely i might not renew the VPS...