Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for somewhere to host a small Plex Server (2TB Space, 1Gbps, 5000+ CPU Benchmark)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for somewhere to host a small Plex Server (2TB Space, 1Gbps, 5000+ CPU Benchmark)

PurpleFuZePurpleFuZe Member
edited March 2020 in Requests

Looking to move my Plex server somewhere, only 2TB of space required.

It simply providers friends and family access to my content. I will FTP content onto it from elsewhere.

Ideally I would like a 1Gbps line which allows for reliable playback, was with Feral but found the Plex playback was incredibly choppy (could have been a mix of my neighbours being greedy resource wise...not sure!)

I have it hosted at Hetzner on a Dedi on 1Gbps and it is perfect playback wise...just I do all sorts of projects on this dedi so find it is annoying having to let people know they won't be able to watch anything as I may be restarting etc.

For the odd occasion direct play isnt available, I would need the machine to transcode...this simply needs a CPU with a benchmark of 5000+ (this would allow for 2 1080p streams to be transcoded if need be)

Managed or unmanaged, would prefer root access so I don't have to ask the provider to install bits etc.

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

How much do you want to spend Monthly?
    Location?

• @AlienData_Josh said:
    How much do you want to spend Monthly?
    Location?

They will be in the UK, so anything EU Based (as long as the playback isn't sluggish!) I have seen seedbox plans for €12 or so but wary these will be shared so could run into the same issues I had at feral.

Being you are looking for transcoding. I would recommend something with dedicated CPU cores. Direct playback would be more ideal. As then you could probably use shared CPU.
    Reason for me saying that is most VPS providers use shared cpu resources vs dedicated.

• @AlienData_Josh said:
    Being you are looking for transcoding. I would recommend something with dedicated CPU cores. Direct playback would be more ideal. As then you could probably use shared CPU.
    Reason for me saying that is most VPS providers use shared cpu resources vs dedicated.

Very true...are you aware of any dedicated CPU VPS providers with 2TB Storage?

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

This could fit perfectly for your purpose: https://pulsedmedia.com/zen-minidedi.php

Ryzen 3400G 4C/8T + Vega 11 is a bit more than you are looking for tho, just pick the 2400G in that case :)

No where near 12€ a month, but if you need dedicated resources, it typically comes with dedicated pricing. Especially with CPU.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

Edit : NVM

@PurpleFuZe said:

@AlienData_Josh said:

Very true...are you aware of any dedicated CPU VPS providers with 2TB Storage?

@Francisco could hook you up on that.
    I am not officially able to say that I can as not having the provider tag but if you want to let me know.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Ryzen Slice with a Slab is good shit.

I think they geek around 5500 per thread?

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Francisco

Not available yet though, right? Right? RIGHT? Did I miss getting on the Ryzen BuyVM train??

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@t0ny0 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Not available yet though, right? Right? RIGHT? Did I miss getting on the Ryzen BuyVM train??

SOON.

I had to buy some Corona branded heatsinks otherwise we'd be delayed 2+ months.

God help me.

Francisco

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @Francisco said:

@t0ny0 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

SOON.

I had to buy some Corona branded heatsinks otherwise we'd be delayed 2+ months.

God help me.

Francisco

I shall help you my child lol :-)

Awesome, can't wait!!