Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migrating from SolusVM to Proxmox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Migrating from SolusVM to Proxmox

Hello all,

Is there some tool/conversion utility to take care of migrating VPS's from SolusVM to Proxmox?

Thanks.

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I personally wouldn't. Proxmox is not nearly suited for production use.

Thanked by 1Synatiq
  • I did a migration to virtualizor which was easy enough. I can recommend it over solus. Don't know about proxmox, I guess it's manual work.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I like proxmox, I use it for my dev vms and some home entertainment vms too. But I wouldn't really use it for selling VMs.

• DiamondzDiamondz Member
    edited February 2020

Proxmox is not out of the box production ready. But you can make it if you want ;)

On point : If you are already used to managing on Solus, then you're gonna face a hard time, consider for some other alternative.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Proxmox is stable, no doubt on that.

• @Diamondz said:
    Proxmox is not out of the box production ready. But you can make it if you want ;)

On point : If you are already used to managing on Solus, then you're gonna face a hard time, consider for some other alternative.

Which other solution exists which supports relatively easy migrations from SolusVM? Other than Proxmox and Virtualizor I don't think there is anything else.

• someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep

If you are looking to sell VMs I would highly recommend Virtualizor.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@someshz said:

For this you need to have loads of free time. To repeatedly get them on Skype to fix agin and again the same issues.

And a very high risk appetite.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Clouvider said:

@someshz said:

For this you need to have loads of free time. To repeatedly get them on Skype to fix agin and again the same issues.

And a very high risk appetite.

You ever seen the admin panel? Super bad UX.

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

If SolusVM isn't covering your needs have you checked what their replacement version has to offer? Might handle what you want: https://www.solus.io/ (currently in testing).

• Been running proxmox for years, both while selling vms, and for personal use. Proxmox is stable, but a little heavy to modify. I made myself a iso who i can just run on any server, and it adds itself to my cluster automaticly and just works. Only thing i need to set up manually is network and ip adresses.

• illyhostingillyhosting Member, Host Rep

If you're still looking for a solution and your current vm's are KVM, please read this post: https://virtualoptix.fandom.com/wiki/KVM_Migration_(SolusVM_to_Proxmox)

All you have to do is: Shutdown your old vm (Solus), find vm raw image (Solus), create new vm in Proxmox and replace your new vm image (Proxmox) with old vm image (Solus).

• Tr33nTr33n Member
    edited February 2020

When migrating to Proxmox, i would copy the network MAC to avoid such issues.
    Very few customers will be pleased to have to give out the access data or reconfigure the network themselves.

It should also be noted that some customers will use DHCP, but Proxmox doesn't install a DHCP server. Shouldn't be a big deal to install a DHCP server and copy the MAC IP pairs from the SolusVM slaves.

And don't forget to create the ipsets so that nobody does IP spoofing :smiley:

On the whole, the switch to Proxmox should not be difficult, there are just a few things to consider. However, there will be a downtime for every server, as it's not possible to live migrate between qemu-kvm and Proxmox (please correct me if I'm wrong).

• @Serverman said:
    Been running proxmox for years, both while selling vms, and for personal use. Proxmox is stable, but a little heavy to modify. I made myself a iso who i can just run on any server, and it adds itself to my cluster automaticly and just works. Only thing i need to set up manually is network and ip adresses.

Configure IP info on a reachable server for a given mac or hostname, then the ISO setup could get the IP info and configure itself for complete automation.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@zafouhar said:

@Diamondz said:

Which other solution exists which supports relatively easy migrations from SolusVM? Other than Proxmox and Virtualizor I don't think there is anything else.

What’s the point to switch for the sake of switching?