Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Permitted Port Scanning Destination Address.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Permitted Port Scanning Destination Address.

Would like to ask as to what the vps/hosting providers views are with regards to a permitted port-scanning from their network. I'm looking at solutions, suggestions.

I know that standard ToS suggests that port-scanning is prohibited but I believe this is for port-scanning destination IP address without prior permission. but what if an official permission is granted by the destination IP/organization that is to be scanned..

All replies are welcome.

-B

Comments

• Even if the destination is OK with it, your provider might not like it. Conntrack tables, netflow tables - all these are not infinite in size.

Well, most providers wouldn't even notice if you do it though.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited November 2013

@rds100 said:
    Even if the destination is OK with it, your provider might not like it. Conntrack tables, netflow tables - all these are not infinite in size.

Exactly. With OpenVZ, I've filled the conntrack tables more times than I'm willing to admit.

Quite frankly, there's nothing wrong with asking your provider beforehand, but without an explicit yes, the ToS saying no still rules.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Indeed, if you put a valid case forward then that is fair enough, it really depends on how many ports and what size range and rate your are hitting things, i.e. how controlled the scan is.

• thanks for the comments guys.