Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email Services .. What a pain to setup or am I doing it wrong?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email Services .. What a pain to setup or am I doing it wrong?

raza19raza19 Veteran
edited November 2013 in General

So, as a part of our upcoming multi website/blogging platform we decided to offer email service to all users, the ones with domains or even sub-domains. I knew then it would be tedious because I remember my experience from just running a url shortening service which no one was ready to host because of spamvertising (almost uncontrollable despite best attempts) so actual emailing service would be trickier or that is what I thought but I am finding out that it is almost something impossible to do on a moderate budget.

With over 12000 users, the system will host 12000 email inboxes accessible through the web, imap & pop3. Security constraints are much more complex here than running simple web servers which usually contain public content. The ramifications for a poor setup can be drastic & We dont want to promise a level of service we can't deliver to our users .

If any of these users spam/spamvertise despite our stringent checks, the harm of ip blacklisting will have to be born by all remaining users. Spreading the service on multiple servers doesn't really solve the problem it just hides it.

How can We run a legitimate service with zero spam policy & yet be ready to defend ourselves against all odds without having to resort to expensive setups from rackspace which still dont solve the same problems!

Any pointers will be mosttt welcome..

Comments

• 2-3 IP's, watching blacklists, keeping an open abuse target. Not too hard. Oh, and fingerprint your emails so you can see who the offender is.

• @Rallias said:
    fingerprint your emails so you can see who the offender is.

u mean dkim, spf ? apart from finding out the offender, does it help in reputation/less chances of blacklisting ?

• raza19 said: u mean dkim, spf ? apart from finding out the offender, does it help in reputation/less chances of blacklisting ?

Go look at the headers of an email a CPanel server sent out.

• @Rallias said:

The last time I used cpanel was maybe 6 years ago. I know dkim, spf & dmarc but the point was does it reduce in anyway the chances of getting blacklisted. I have heard it is helpful in whitelisting but not the other way around :s