Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Used ChicagoVPS in the past? Make sure they're not still billing you!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Used ChicagoVPS in the past? Make sure they're not still billing you!

A few years back I had a VPS get terminated because of some billing screw up on their part. At the time, I saw it was terminated, saw that they had emailed me some invoice reminder saying it was unpaid like a week ago and figured, it was already terminated and I had a good backup of everything on there (learned that lesson the hard way after the last time ChicagoVPS deleted all of my data) so I took the opportunity to cut my losses and go with a different provider rather than ChicagoVPS again. Not long ago I noticed a $40 charge in my bank account, lo and behold, they only terminated the VPS, they didn't stop billing me for it.

And if you thought their support was horrendous before, just wait until you aren't their customer anymore and they already have your money. They started out with "If you provide us with any transaction ID's we will gladly review and can then refund anything from the last 180 days as the system allows us, thanks!" and after providing the last transaction ID, not only did they not refund it like they said they would, they literally told me to dispute it with PayPal and closed the ticket. After reopening the ticket and calling them out for not even refunding the one they said they would, surprise surprise, vague response about forwarding the issue to billing and radio silence for 2 weeks...

To add insult to injury, after they told me to literally dispute it through PayPal rather than their ticketing system they denied the claim there too. No clue what Bullshit lie they told PayPal but now PayPal has changed the dispute to some random "misrepresentation" claim and to even see what ChicagoVPS told them I have to physically mail some PayPal P.O. box.

If you've ever used them and paid via PayPal, check your PayPal subscriptions, because ChicagoVPS won't help you if their billing screw up is to their benefit.

Tuesday, February 11th, 2020 (14:30)
Staff
Hello Andrew,

I have assigned your ticket to our billing team. They will address your ticket as soon as possible. Our billing team is available Monday - Friday from 9 AM till 5 PM EST.

Regards,

Technical Support
ChicagoVPS

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2020

@MertsA said:
    If you've ever used them and paid via PayPal, check your PayPal subscriptions,

Congrats on your first post

(It goes without saying that you should be aware of what PayPal subscriptions you have)

• Fair point, but when is the last time you went on PayPal.com and actually checked to make sure that a vendor actually canceled one when they said they did? It's not expected that every single time a vendor starts or stops a subscription that you have to go into paypal to verify they actually did.

• @MertsA said:
    Fair point, but when is the last time you went on PayPal.com and actually checked to make sure that a vendor actually canceled one when they said they did? It's not expected that every single time a vendor starts or stops a subscription that you have to go into paypal to verify they actually did.

The issue of PayPal subscriptions has been discussed umpteen times here on LET in connection with many different providers. The short answer is that you (the customer) should be aware of what PayPal subscriptions you have and that you should cancel those subscriptions that you no longer want to have.

This is the way that PayPal subscriptions work. There's little point in philosophizing about discussing this further.

• This why we don’t use PayPal subscription. To much of a headache if someone forgets to cancel it.

• Yeah after looking into it, good god WHMCS is a shit show. I can't believe that paypal subscriptions aren't managed at all. I've developed web apps in the past using PayPal as well as one with Authorize.net and not tying the subscription ID to the service that subscription is paying for is just downright retarded. I'd never dream of building something like that handling real money in such a sloppy manner. I feel for all of the providers out there stuck dealing with it.

Looking a little closer at it I think part of what happened was back in 2015 there's an invoice that says it was paid via credit card (it wasn't, paid via bank transfer through PayPal) and then the next year that it got terminated it looks like they added a fee for the previous year?? Maybe it's a coincidence but it all got screwy after their acquisition, what's absurd is their support response though. It'd be one thing if they at least fixed the account balance and at a minimum credit all of the extra payments to my account but even after bringing that up in the ticket supports just "Nah, let PayPal handle it".

I'm still kicking myself for trusting what I saw with ChicagoVPS instead of actually verifying that payment didn't go through with PayPal though.

• We already had two transactions today which had the whmcs paypal subscription glicth where it charges the client when they setup the subscription and the second time when they're normally supposed to pay.