Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100up got kicked from OVH/OVH US
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100up got kicked from OVH/OVH US

stefemanstefeman Member
edited February 2020 in Providers

They posted this message on their discord.

They seem to claim that it wont affect their other OVH locations, so maybe they have multiple OVH accounts?

Interesting that OVH can just kick you off, because your end user did something wrong and then re-posess your purchased IP ranges lol. Not that it matters to me, I never had any services with them.

Suddenly it seems a lot of more risky to resell OVH servers. Its not like you can 100% eliminate risk of abuse even by filtering all customers through strict screening. Can you shed any light into this process @ninzo59 @OVH_APAC

Comments

• marvelmarvel Member
    edited February 2020

OVH US and OVH is seperated, so I think they only got evicted from OVH US.

And yeah reselling OVH Game servers is a pain and 99% of your customers will use it for abuse. I gave up on it. @MikeA can tell you all about it as well :smile:

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Not surprised if so.

We've seen a spike in the amount of people that signup with a service hostname of "VPN" or similar and then they pound UDP DOS attacks ASAP.

They get booted from our network quick but still.

Francisco

Thanked by 1PureVoltage
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I think the story behind this is bigger, likely they have been catched by OVH a few times and that was the final destination.

On top of that, all funds are gone if the account gets terminated, leaves behind financial damage, no idea how big the impact was but maybe it could kill the hole project off the line.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

stefeman said: and then re-posess your purchased IP ranges

It seems to mention rented IPs in the e-mail, not purchased ranges?

• @joepie91 said:

You can consider it purchased as you pay single high fee for the ranges. rent means monthly fees for the IPs which OVH does not have.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@stefeman said:

@joepie91 said:

You can consider it purchased as you pay single high fee for the ranges. rent means monthly fees for the IPs which OVH does not have.

Market price is well above $20 / IP.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @stefeman said:

@joepie91 said:

OVH still owns the IPs so not purchased.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2020

@boernd said:

@stefeman said:

@joepie91 said:

Yes, but its different than paying 80€/m where you can just lose the contract at any time. If you sink 500€ on IPs, you expect them to last and not get reposessed indiscriminantly.

Otherwise everyone would just rent monthly. Its almost a scam where you buy /24 onto your account to use with your servers for long time, and then OVH conjures up an abuse to instantly terminate you and you wont get to enjoy the goods they sold you.

besides OVH uses term "buy" in the panel, while other providers have "rent".

Im aware the IPs are still OVHs, but there should be some kind of warranty for sure when you buy stuff to your account even if it gets reposessed after youre canceling the server.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2020

And this is why I kicked off all of the VPN people from my OVH stuff a few months back.

Now I require ID/address proof for most orders on my OVH Game servers. My abuse has gone down to like zero.

No matter what you think about it, most people who run VPNs that specifically want the OVH Game protection are running some type of DDoS service; whether it be a public booter website, privately DDoS'ing people, or some Discord-based DDoS service, they are almost no good things.

• WebGuruWebGuru Member
    edited February 2020

@MikeA said:
    And this is why I kicked off all of the VPN people from my OVH stuff a few months back.

Now I require ID/address proof for most orders on my OVH Game servers. My abuse has gone down to like zero.

No matter what you think about it, most people who run VPNs that specifically want the OVH Game protection are running some type of DDoS service; whether it be a public booter website, privately DDoS'ing people, or some Discord-based DDoS service, they are almost no good things.

I am not 100% sure but i think one of the reason they want these OVH servers is that you can attack sites/servers hosted on OVH from another server within OVH network bypassing the ovh protection. In most cases i noticed OVH Firewall rules doesn't apply if traffic comes from within OVH network.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • stefeman said: If you sink 500€ on IPs, you expect them to last and not get reposessed indiscriminantly.

stefeman said: Im aware the IPs are still OVHs, but there should be some kind of warranty for sure when you buy stuff to your account even if it gets reposessed after youre canceling the server.

Not at all. WTF? You don't get your setup fee back on Hetzner after you buy a server just to abuse it immediately.

Thanked by 2MikeA boernd
    edited February 2020

@stefeman said:
    Interesting that OVH can just kick you off, because your end user did something wrong and then re-posess your purchased IP ranges lol. Not that it matters to me, I never had any services with them.

I assure you it's not that simple. Some ways OVH handles things absolutely drives me crazy (it's why I spend thousands $$/m elsewhere instead of with them now), but they've always been more than reasonable with abuse for me, but I handle most abuse within an hour anyways. I've had lots of abuse in the past, but I've made changes to prevent it on and off.

1-2 years ago I would report other hosts that use OVH constantly for sending denial of service attacks across the network, OVH would never do anything to those hosts, so they are lenient on abuse like this unless it's ignored. Maybe they've changed recently so they don't tolerate this type stuff anymore.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @boernd said:

@stefeman said:

@joepie91 said:

In some country, properties have a term limit. Lets say 100years, you have the right to use your house within 100years, but the government still own the properties and they can take away your property for any reason.
    Scam? No they write TOS, they own the hammer.

• @stefeman said:

They seem to claim that it wont affect their other OVH locations, so maybe they have multiple OVH accounts?

Suddenly it seems a lot of more risky to resell OVH servers. Its not like you can 100% eliminate risk of abuse even by filtering all customers through strict screening. Can you shed any light into this process @ninzo59 @OVH_APAC

The screenshot font is small, but the post doesn't mention "100up". Wtf is 100up? I'm confused where you fit in. Are you the kicked customer?

• Seems it's 100up.de or 100up.org (same guys). Feels very much like those previous german OVH hosting dudes who bought steam games.

Quoting their SLA:

In the case that your service is unavailable for one full hour and it is our fault or the fault of our carrier OVH, your product will be renewed by one day for free. You can get maximum 3 days renewed in 24 hours.

I guess some people will get quite a bit of free service from this if they honor it.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @ninzo59 @OVH_APAC
    I found this on the interwebz:

Does that mean that someone at OVH has a side-business selling some vpsses? If so, is that allowed?

• Probably it's just whoising the IP

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2020

@TimboJones said:

@stefeman said:

The screenshot font is small, but the post doesn't mention "100up". Wtf is 100up? I'm confused where you fit in. Are you the kicked customer?

As I said, they posted it on their discord. and you can see they wont allow you to order OVH USA right now with text "Thanks to OVH". And no, im not the kicked customer from 100up as I feel sorry for them. And neither from OVH as I have account with OVH Finland and active cloud services with GPU instance to run my Leela Zero Go Game bot.

Try to troll harder..

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@teamacc said:
    Seems it's 100up.de or 100up.org (same guys). Feels very much like those previous german OVH hosting dudes who bought steam games.

Quoting their SLA:

In the case that your service is unavailable for one full hour and it is our fault or the fault of our carrier OVH, your product will be renewed by one day for free. You can get maximum 3 days renewed in 24 hours.

I guess some people will get quite a bit of free service from this if they honor it.

Treudler 4.0, unexpected.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • then do you allow DDoS to your customers?
    didn't 100up.de set up the wall in the first place to prevent from egressing some dirty traffics as the fucking provider?

• ZigiZigi Member, Host Rep

I'm not exactly suprised when the owner is now doing this. Sending fake abuse reports to competitors for OVH US to do same to them. 🤔

• @Zigi said:
    I'm not exactly suprised when the owner is now doing this. Sending fake abuse reports to competitors for OVH US to do same to them. 🤔

I've been with OVH US once, I'm sorry to say it but it is being runned by monkeys. I would never ever go there again. If you think OVH EU is bad go with OVH US lol.

• OVH just doesn't like Resellers. There is a reason they don't have an official Reseller program after being in the hosting business for a decade. If you make the mistake of reselling from OVH, they will be your biggest enemy in the hosting business.

@sunnyg said:
    OVH just doesn't like Resellers. There is a reason they don't have an official Reseller program after being in the hosting business for a decade. If you make the mistake of reselling from OVH, they will be your biggest enemy in the hosting business.

Selling VPS on a dedicated server isn't the same as a company having a reseller program.

• @stefeman said:

@TimboJones said:

@stefeman said:

As I said, they posted it on their discord. and you can see they wont allow you to order OVH USA right now with text "Thanks to OVH". And no, im not the kicked customer from 100up as I feel sorry for them. And neither from OVH as I have account with OVH Finland and active cloud services with GPU instance to run my Leela Zero Go Game bot.

Try to troll harder..

That's not trolling. I legit didn't know who 100up is, what they do, and how you fit in. I'm not a gamer or German and was first hearing their name.