Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET Header & Side bar
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET Header & Side bar

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
edited February 2020 in General

Hi Everyone,

Just looking to get some feedback on which links you would like to see kept, added or removed from our header.

Currently there are:

LowEndBox
Discussions
Activity
Mark All Viewed
Categories
Rules
Hosting Directory
Colocation Offers
IPv4 IPv6 ASN Thread
Contact us

What are your thoughts?

Also what are your thoughts about moving or removing the mailing list submission block from the right side?

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

Nobody cares, no one clicks on anything in the bar (except maybe Discussions).

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

The LowEndBox hyperlink definitely has to go.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2020

I don't care anymore.

You ignored every single advice from @teamacc.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

deank said: I don't care anymore.

You ignored every single advice from @teamacc

Tons has been accomplished in just the past two weeks and I am here continuing to seek more feedback from our community. I do not agree with your statement.

For example I posted this in another thread earlier today to bring folks up to speed on the latest:

1. New hosting platform setup entirely on virtualized resources at numerous hosting providers.

2. CloudFlare setup and migrated for both LEB and LET

3. Low End Box WP and plugins all updated.

4. Low End Box moved to new hosting platform

5. Low End Talk environment prepared on new hosting platform, migration scheduled for 2/16/2020

6. Low End Talk plugins updated

7. Low End Talk email fixed and SSL fixed

8. Low End Talk registration fixed

9. New writer hired (and discussed rules with her so mistakes happen less often)

10. Hired community member Northern (on discord) to write 4 tutorials per month

11. Discussed future of LEB and LET and my commitment to making our community better with @trewq at length and discussed specific ideas we could implement. Started the same conversation with the balance of the moderation team.

12. Fixed the LET help desk (which we'll officially start using shortly, pending convo with the mods)

13. Got on Discord so I am readily available to anyone who needs me

14. Updated and cleaned up the LEB help desk

15. Removed all references to Deluxe and ColoCrossing

16. Removed all static banner ads

17. Reduced the amount of ad positions available through BSA to increase the value to our advertisers

18. Shuffled some content positioning to make LEB and LET a little cleaner

19. Updated some of the old LEB content pages to make things more consistent and uniform.

20. Answered a whole lot of questions on LET and Discord

21. Posted this thread on LET and a thread on LEB asking for feedback

22. Gained access to all social platforms and posted on Facebook for the first time

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • Man I'm very old here and didn't even know that there's hyperlinks in the header

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Jorbox said:
    Man I'm very old here and didn't even know that there's hyperlinks in the header

It's a relatively recent addition from when Chris and friends tried to make some "changes" to improve the place, but instead gave us a bunch of shit we didn't ask for nor want.

@jbiloh, my suggestion - delete the header bar and reinstate the sidebar links. Remove the newsletter subscription box.

Thanked by 1kkrajk

Which links do you think are still useful @MasonR?

• Hey @jbiloh good job on the things done so far.
    I honestly just noticed that the top bar exists, so I don't really have an opinion on that.
    The one thing I would like see changed (maybe it has been discussed, but the other thread is a little too big to look for that):
    Either remove the @LEBFeed crap, or at least let us comment on the posts, whenever a "deal" is posted.
    Not being able to comment on that makes me feel like someone is forcing it on me. Probably because this is literally what is happening.
    Ideally - keep the two (LEB and LET) completely separate.

Thanks!

• Have one Link reserved for winner of the most recent provider award.

• Give me back my god damned drafts link and leave shit alone.

• Here's a suggestion @jbiloh -- why don't you remove the LowEndBox part of the footer? This ain't LEB, this is LET.

@FlamesRunner said:
    Here's a suggestion @jbiloh -- why don't you remove the LowEndBox part of the footer? This ain't LEB, this is LET.

What are you referring to?

@AuroraZ said:
    Give me back my god damned drafts link and leave shit alone.

Will look at this.

@pike said:
    Have one Link reserved for winner of the most recent provider award.

Great idea.

@t0ny0 said:
    Hey @jbiloh good job on the things done so far.
    I honestly just noticed that the top bar exists, so I don't really have an opinion on that.
    The one thing I would like see changed (maybe it has been discussed, but the other thread is a little too big to look for that):
    Either remove the @LEBFeed crap, or at least let us comment on the posts, whenever a "deal" is posted.
    Not being able to comment on that makes me feel like someone is forcing it on me. Probably because this is literally what is happening.
    Ideally - keep the two (LEB and LET) completely separate.

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment and solid feedback. Will consider the idea regarding enabling comments that might be a good start as we strive for common ground there.

• @jbiloh

The desktop version has a LEB footer

Thanked by 1default
  • Maybe also update the copyright and remove the "VSNX family" while you're at it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited February 2020

jbiloh said: Also what are your thoughts about moving or removing the mailing list submission block from the right side?

Is there a mailing list? I don't think I've ever received anything from it.

EDIT: Searching my email I see I've erratically gotten promo emails from [email protected] - is that the newsletter?

• jbiloh said: Will consider

And you'll probably reject

@Unixfy said:
    Maybe also update the copyright and remove the "VSNX family" while you're at it.

Yep will get this removed.

@raindog308 said:

jbiloh said: Also what are your thoughts about moving or removing the mailing list submission block from the right side?

Is there a mailing list? I don't think I've ever received anything from it.

EDIT: Searching my email I see I've erratically gotten promo emails from [email protected] - is that the newsletter?

To be honest I'm not sure where the email list lives at the moment as that was run by the Deluxe marketing team. I figured I was just going to remove it.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

This is how I want it to be: http://prntscr.com/r2zp5y

EDIT:
    I know that ads are important since "a brother gotta eat" and it's fine if it stays there. I never look at them anyways. Instead, please remove the "subscribe to newsletter box" as its pretty useless. We don't want to have any newsletters. LET is like an addiction, people visit it daily by default. I don't want anyone reminding me to visit LET again and again.

• @raindog308 said:

This domain has shared its account with the cloudflare account used by hudsonvalleyhost.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited February 2020

I only need 'mark all viewed' and would consider a link to the 'rules' important.

other than that easy access to the drafts might be useful, that's kind of fucked up or gone since quite some time.

the sidebar I don't need at all, only the profile box for the notifications and PM access. maybe move that into the header and use full width for threads and posts.

something like that:

PS: yes, you can do this with just CSS.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • left side bar or right side bar? obviously the LEB offers stands out on the right sidebar.
    I only want to see the "OFFERS" category so that I can click on it fast. It sucks if I click accidentally the one below. So now I dont want to try clicking the categories anymore.

• Remove LEB. Add ads is fine. Then stop interfering and let us be.