Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Offerings similar price/performance point to contabo VPS S SSD but without the obnoxious setup fee?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Offerings similar price/performance point to contabo VPS S SSD but without the obnoxious setup fee?

lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
edited February 2020 in Providers

I'm really happy with contabo VPS S SSD services for the price and performance however I want to scale up my operation and get several more servers and having forgotten about the setup fee it makes the prospect of using contabo for this a lot less palatable.

I think that setup fees are an archaic relic from the past now aren't they? having tried a few different companies over the years the setup fees are not generally a thing now in this competitive market if I am right in my thinking?

I wondered if there are competitive offers from other companies without that ugly setup fee as it would really add up as I multiply the server count, which I want to do.

So what else could be similar?

Requirements are a fairly modest HDD (I think 100gb would be fine) as much CPU bang as I can get for my buck (most important) and ram and network speed is an afterthought really.

Suggestions? The cheaper the better for what I asked for since I am thinking strength in numbers (on the cheap) rather than single hefty server as I believe that many small servers will outperform (in processor power) any single big server for what you could afford of cheap ones vs expensive.

Oh yes and another thing is it should support archlinux OS or easily allow custom image but preferably the first so then it is a lot more plug and play.

Comments

• Hetzner cloud or netcup.

Kinda disagree with all the strength in number in terms of power tho. But maybe depends on the use case.

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited February 2020

@kennsann said:
    Hetzner cloud or netcup.

Kinda disagree with all the strength in number in terms of power tho. But maybe depends on the use case.

Well my rationale is that I currently have an 8core at home and it takes around 10 hours to do a run of encoding with my bot whereas on $5 server it takes 2-3days. So 2-3 days is a lot more efficient than 1/10th of my home 8 core. if it were 1/10th it would take 10 days for them to complete 1 run.

I used hetzner before switching to contabo, Hetzner I found way too stingy on most resources but especially HDD while paying a premium price.

• @lowendguy7 said:

@kennsann said:
    Hetzner cloud or netcup.

Well my rationale is that I currently have an 8core at home and it takes around 10 hours to do a run of encoding with my bot whereas on $5 server it takes 2-3days. So 2-3 days is a lot more efficient than 1/10th of my home 8 core. if it were 1/10th it would take 10 days for them to complete 1 run.

I used hetzner before switching to contabo, Hetzner I found way too stingy on most resources but especially HDD while paying a premium price.

I dont really have the numbers but I would still argue that a dedicated server will always be cheaper than a VPS if you need an equal power the dedi offers vs x-number of vps.

• Get a cheap dedi, so you don't bother others on the server. Quite a few under $20 a month if you can grab one.