Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner's 10G dedicated uplink bandwidth pricing makes no sense. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner's 10G dedicated uplink bandwidth pricing makes no sense.

2»

Comments

• When I had many servers at Hetzner, I seriously thought about this issue - at that time I needed burst traffic of 10G bandwidth, but it was not possible to achieve, and I was surprised at Hetzner's high cost for 10G ports and separate charges for excess traffic.

In the end, I chose a US service provider that offered a billing plan based on the 95th percentile. I could get 10G burst bandwidth while paying for a 2G port, but the cost for bandwidth was much higher.

This is a digression, for Hetzner, 10G bandwidth is undoubtedly a greater burden. However, they only offer one billing model, which I feel is somewhat inadequate. They could do better, such as selling genuine 10G unlimited ports, of course, that would be expensive.

In the current situation, the best practice for Hetzner (if you really need more outbound bandwidth), I believe, is to upgrade to a 10G port and purchase several lowest-spec HetznerCloud instances in the same region.

Considering that Germany is still the most important region for Hetzner, choosing the cheapest HetznerCloud instance in Germany with Arm architecture is the most reasonable choice. If your account is eligible for tax exemption, you can get 20T of outbound traffic for as low as 3.79 euros. According to your assumption, if you need to fully utilize 330TB bandwidth (which can basically be understood as the total burst amount on a 1G port), you would need at least 17 servers like this, with a total cost of less than 65 euros per month.

In this way, by connecting these HetznerCloud servers to dedicated servers through free internal network traffic, you can have 340T (outgoing) of 10G bandwidth. All this can be achieved through automated scripts combined with DNS load balancing, and there will be hardly any excess traffic.

Of course, this implementation may be a bit cumbersome, but it is highly operational and fully compliant with Hetzner's policy. The cost is also completely acceptable, isn't it?

• @danblaze said:
    When I had many servers at Hetzner, I seriously thought about this issue - at that time I needed burst traffic of 10G bandwidth, but it was not possible to achieve, and I was surprised at Hetzner's high cost for 10G ports and separate charges for excess traffic.

In the end, I chose a US service provider that offered a billing plan based on the 95th percentile. I could get 10G burst bandwidth while paying for a 2G port, but the cost for bandwidth was much higher.

This is a digression, for Hetzner, 10G bandwidth is undoubtedly a greater burden. However, they only offer one billing model, which I feel is somewhat inadequate. They could do better, such as selling genuine 10G unlimited ports, of course, that would be expensive.

In the current situation, the best practice for Hetzner (if you really need more outbound bandwidth), I believe, is to upgrade to a 10G port and purchase several lowest-spec HetznerCloud instances in the same region.

Considering that Germany is still the most important region for Hetzner, choosing the cheapest HetznerCloud instance in Germany with Arm architecture is the most reasonable choice. If your account is eligible for tax exemption, you can get 20T of outbound traffic for as low as 3.79 euros. According to your assumption, if you need to fully utilize 330TB bandwidth (which can basically be understood as the total burst amount on a 1G port), you would need at least 17 servers like this, with a total cost of less than 65 euros per month.

In this way, by connecting these HetznerCloud servers to dedicated servers through free internal network traffic, you can have 340T (outgoing) of 10G bandwidth. All this can be achieved through automated scripts combined with DNS load balancing, and there will be hardly any excess traffic.

Of course, this implementation may be a bit cumbersome, but it is highly operational and fully compliant with Hetzner's policy. The cost is also completely acceptable, isn't it?

Just to add to your suggestion; Hetzner Cloud’s CCX plans (dedicated vCPU) have 10Gbps uplink. It’s shared but most of the time they’ll reach 2Gbps+ and they’ll always reach 10Gbps for internal connections.