Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage-nvme-English class for free ! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage-nvme-English class for free !

Comments

• @Scott15 said:

@marvel said:

@Falzo said:
    @cociu you really run 14x12TB in a plain raid 5 setup ?

just curious: how does your disaster recovery plan look like in case one of the HDD fails?
    replace and rebuild?

with that number and size of disks and the URE topic, I'd probably rather go with JBOD ...

Oh no please don't ask it's forbidden you get your sig removed! :smiley:

But you see he is asking a question, Not a host slamming his business.

Also looks nice without your signature as I am trying to avoid these LET "cowboys" makes it a lot easier, thanks for the tip :-)

You're very welcome and a nice weekend to you as well.

Thanked by 1Scott15
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited February 2020

@cociu said:
    i have saved yet ... so what to do now ?

In all seriousness, the image I made just now is just a joke so I only used the preview version instead of paying for full resolution. The photo is available on different stock photo marketplace, in the case you really want to use it for commercial purpose, I believe paying for any of them should work fine.

• FAT32 said: We actually thought of banning instead but decided to be lenient and just removed the signature.

Ah. Looks like they haven't learnt though.

• Holy cow, again a classic let drama

• marvelmarvel Member
    edited February 2020

@FAT32 said:

@saibal said:

Details please.

He repeatedly got severe warned for 3 times in the past 7 months, and temp banned for 1 week in the past. We actually thought of banning instead but decided to be lenient and just removed the signature.

Thanks for showing so much mercy.

You should change your nickname to mercyfull FAT32 :sweat_smile:

Ps you can ban me I don't care. This forum stinks anyway you would do me a favor.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@marvel said:

@cociu said:

marvel said: I didn't say that but I am happy it's almost weekend!

i will tell this phrase withowt any joke :

i take a look to your signature (just courious who is targeted to blame my company ) and i have see a reselling person who try to make a penny like me, the difference between me and you is i own all what i have here including the cables , you rent them from some big company what is invert milions in structure wich is not my case. So try to not make the perfect due of your reseller plan , i can assure you have market for all including you . MAYBE and just MAYBE will came a day when i can compare with such company like you used to rent your servers and this will proof i am in the right way. My true advice is better to not proceed how you proceed now,

No need response because you mess all this thread , so take it like a advice or not .

Well I'm just doing this for fun. I'm a freelance IT consultant in my daily life which is how I make all my money. To be honest I'm even selling at a loss at the moment but I'm just interested to see what it takes to provide hosting so for me this is just a learning project, not something to make a profit on. Let's be honest there is almost no profit to be made in the low-end server business.

Eventually I want to provide fully managed hosting and IT services in my own country to local businesses, this is a great place to see how to do things the right and the wrong way. I already learned a lot from other providers like finalhosting, hostdoc etc and you. good and bad stuff.

Anyway I don't think someone deserves more respect when they own the hardware instead of renting it. You think the customer cares? They just want high quality affordable hosting.

I wouldn't hire you even if you paid me.

Just buy whatever offers you want from whatever provider. Stop attacking Marius. Enough is enough. Such attitude won't get you far mate.

Thanked by 3dahartigan sgno1 Kyle_

@FAT32 said:

@cociu said:
    i have saved yet ... so what to do now ?

In all seriousness, the image I made just now is just a joke so I only used the preview version instead of paying for full resolution. The photo is available on different stock photo marketplace, in the case you really want to use it for commercial purpose, I believe paying for any of them should work fine.

I think Marius won't resist and he'll purchase that and probably setup a signature for his email with that huge image haha!!!

Thanked by 2FAT32 sgno1

@marvel said:

@FAT32 said:

@saibal said:

Details please.

He repeatedly got severe warned for 3 times in the past 7 months, and temp banned for 1 week in the past. We actually thought of banning instead but decided to be lenient and just removed the signature.

Thanks for showing so much mercy.

You should change your nickname to mercyfull FAT32 :sweat_smile:

Ps you can ban me I don't care. This forum stinks anyway you would do me a favor.

Respect the mods spending their time here with us.

It's much better to troll you, but on a different thread if you want. I can also test your IT management skills.

Thanked by 2dahartigan sgno1
  • marvel said: I already learned a lot from other providers like finalhosting, hostdoc etc and you. good and bad stuff.

marvel said: I don't think someone deserves more respect when they own the hardware instead of renting it.

Thanked by 2MikePT uptime
  • @MikePT said:

@marvel said:

@cociu said:

marvel said: I didn't say that but I am happy it's almost weekend!

i will tell this phrase withowt any joke :

i take a look to your signature (just courious who is targeted to blame my company ) and i have see a reselling person who try to make a penny like me, the difference between me and you is i own all what i have here including the cables , you rent them from some big company what is invert milions in structure wich is not my case. So try to not make the perfect due of your reseller plan , i can assure you have market for all including you . MAYBE and just MAYBE will came a day when i can compare with such company like you used to rent your servers and this will proof i am in the right way. My true advice is better to not proceed how you proceed now,

No need response because you mess all this thread , so take it like a advice or not .

Well I'm just doing this for fun. I'm a freelance IT consultant in my daily life which is how I make all my money. To be honest I'm even selling at a loss at the moment but I'm just interested to see what it takes to provide hosting so for me this is just a learning project, not something to make a profit on. Let's be honest there is almost no profit to be made in the low-end server business.

Eventually I want to provide fully managed hosting and IT services in my own country to local businesses, this is a great place to see how to do things the right and the wrong way. I already learned a lot from other providers like finalhosting, hostdoc etc and you. good and bad stuff.

Anyway I don't think someone deserves more respect when they own the hardware instead of renting it. You think the customer cares? They just want high quality affordable hosting.

I wouldn't hire you even if you paid me.

Just buy whatever offers you want from whatever provider. Stop attacking Marius. Enough is enough. Such attitude won't get you far mate.

What a relief lol

• I ran some tests and found the cpu performance to be problematic.

Here are some sysbench cpu test results of vps offerings from some different providers:

Hetzner OVH (VPS SSD) AWS t2.micro AlphaVPS HostSolutions
    SysBench CPU 1t 364.99 288.39 335.63 226.88 137.28
    SysBench CPU 2t 458.05 136.12

Shown in the table are events per second as reported by this command:

sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 --num-threads=1 run
    OR below in case there are two cores:
    sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 --num-threads=2 run

AlphaVPS: 1TB, 2GB RAM, 2vCores kvm storage vps
    HostSolutions (newly bought): 4TB, 4GB RAM, 2 vCores kvm storage vps

The problems I see:

1. vCPU performance is low.
    2. When both cores are being used, overall cpu performance drops. First time I see this. Typically it should double for two cores.

Thoughts and solutions?

Thank you.

Thanked by 3uptime Ganonk vimalware
  • @KamalW said:
    I ran some tests and found the cpu performance to be problematic.

Here are some sysbench cpu test results of vps offerings from some different providers:

The problems I see:

2. When both cores are being used, overall cpu performance drops. First time I see this. Typically it should double for two cores.

Thoughts and solutions?

Thank you.

Hostsolutions is not famous for high performance VPS on premium hardware. It's famous for dirt cheap VPS that works (if you are lucky). Just accept the low performance if you like the cheap price. You can't compare Hostsolutions with Hetzner/OVH/AWS. They are not in the same category.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2020

@KamalW - possibly there could be some room for improvement (as in actually within reach via configuration / tuning) so I would at least put in a ticket to check.

My general impression of hostsolutions price/performance is that their standard prices are not crazy low and one should expect reasonable performance even with discounted rates . Sometimes (often) there may be some "work in progress" situation which may be incompatible with deploying some crucial production website or whatever. But I suspect that they aim for reasonable performance for all their offers.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @cociu said:

TimboJones said: "fell off the back of a truck"

Sorry, I should have been clear. The super low price gave me that initial reaction, but I don't believe they were stolen. It was just to emphasize just how much cheaper you could buy it than us.

• @uptime said:
    I am learn good English from watch movie :)

I've had so many people tell me they've learned English from Bugs Bunny and the tv show Friends.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @KamalW said:
    I ran some tests and found the cpu performance to be problematic.

The problems I see:

Thoughts and solutions?

Thank you.

He pays 90 euro for a CPU, 14 bay hot-swap chassis and motherboard... that's less than the price for just one of those things the rest of us can buy. Don't expect dual Xeons with 16 cores...

• jamujajamuja Member
    edited February 2020

@TimboJones said:

@cociu said:

TimboJones said: "fell off the back of a truck"

Sorry, I should have been clear. The super low price gave me that initial reaction, but I don't believe they were stolen. It was just to emphasize just how much cheaper you could buy it than us.

When a company buys few thousands of HDD every month they usually have Master Service Agreement with the hardware vendor. The MSA list hardware prices so cheap compared to retail prices. At least that's how things are done at Amazon Web Services. When I worked for them, I remember the hard drives prices from all vendors were dirt cheap looks almost free.
    We used to buy HP racks every days,each rack could cost almost 100k for high performance DB server products.
    HP racks even come with a beautiful engineering support staff who will come to your DC and insert that "hard disk" for you lol.
    This was like 10 years ago. I imagine nowadays hardware vendor employ more aggressive price and tactics to get a commitment to purchasing. I'm not surprised if cociu is drowning in sisters sent by Cisco/HP etc.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited February 2020

Wow this thread will certainly improve my English reading skills.

• @jamuja said:
    I'm not surprised if cociu is drowning in sisters sent by Cisco/HP etc.

I want to own a big DC now.

• Can somebody tell me in which way hardware and network on the host node
    is different between your recent "Storage kvm 3.6tb" offer and the "Storage KVM" line?

• jamuja said: This was like 10 years ago. I imagine nowadays hardware vendor employ more aggressive price and tactics to get a commitment to purchasing. I'm not surprised if cociu is drowning in sisters sent by Cisco/HP etc.

i got this from juniper instead , 2 guys was stay in Oradea durring 1 week.

• I want to buy one, but when I try to pay it using BTC it only say "Could not generate new bitcoin address.". Is BTC payment really allowed?

• ricannardo said: I want to buy one, but when I try to pay it using BTC it only say "Could not generate new bitcoin address.". Is BTC payment really allowed?

we working in this issue. Meantime you can open a tiket , we will share our btc adress and you can pay directly , after this we will mark your payment manually. Sorry for trouble

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited February 2020

cociu said: we will prepare some disscount in the less 1tb plan in the next month

Looking forward to it

cociu said: is difficult due of paypal fee but we will see.

Maybe by setting the billing cycle per 2 or 3 year, will help ?

benj0x said: Is this a place for shitposting now? 🤨

What's wrong with the idea of sister's riding a Volkswagen Caddy around the DC ?

• @Kiwi83 said:
    Hostsolutions is not famous for high performance VPS on premium hardware. It's famous for dirt cheap VPS that works (if you are lucky). Just accept the low performance if you like the cheap price. You can't compare Hostsolutions with Hetzner/OVH/AWS. They are not in the same category.

@uptime said:
    My general impression of hostsolutions price/performance is that their standard prices are not crazy low and one should expect reasonable performance even with discounted rates . Sometimes (often) there may be some "work in progress" situation which may be incompatible with deploying some crucial production website or whatever. But I suspect that they aim for reasonable performance for all their offers.

@TimboJones said:
    He pays 90 euro for a CPU, 14 bay hot-swap chassis and motherboard... that's less than the price for just one of those things the rest of us can buy. Don't expect dual Xeons with 16 cores...

Thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions. I have cancelled the server and made a refund request.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @KamalW - refound is final opention! :)

Thanked by 2vyas11 dahartigan
  • refund

Refound

Thanked by 3sgno1 uptime dahartigan
  • Refound is the new found refund

• @cociu Stock on storage? :open_mouth:

• sgno1 said: @cociu Stock on storage?

3.6 offer 10 more , and cupon code 120 more.

Thanked by 1sgno1