Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Panel : Feathur vs SolusVM - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Panel : Feathur vs SolusVM

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

As I said, it only shows the hate for solus, at the end of THIS day, feathur is far from complete, far from tested thoroughly far from bugless.
    I do not claim Solus is all of those things, but is a technology many people know and tested through time with the good, the bad and the ugly.
    In 6 months we need to have another vote and I hope Feathur will win a vote where people actually tried and used the both of them.

• feathur bitches!!

• Feathur. I've never really had problems with SolusVM (just one reinstall bug where I had to reboot because the reinstall shut it down and then didn't work). I'm mostly saying Feathur because it looks awesome and I support OSS and FOSS.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@lukasubo said:
    Feathur. I've never really had problems with SolusVM (just one reinstall bug where I had to reboot because the reinstall shut it down and then didn't work). I'm mostly saying Feathur because it looks awesome and I support OSS and FOSS.

Feathur is source-available software, not OSS or FOSS.

• @perennate said:
    Feathur is source-available software, not OSS or FOSS.

Fair enough, but I still support a business model where one can see the source code, check for bugs himself and modify it as he wishes.

• Years ago HyperVM was widely used, however it was replaced by SolusVM (we all know what happened with HyperVM and Kloxo). vePortal was not as successful as SolusVM, because it did had a lot of problems (wrong bandwidth calculation for example, I'm not even sure if they actually fixed that even now).
    SolusVM was simply the most stable, working and full featured product at that time and a good VPS management software was needed as soon as possible.

A hosting company does not simply change a control panel for no good reason, especially if it works and is basically an "industry standard". Imagine thousands of VPS containers, servers, different virtualisations, etc. that need to be moved over to the new panel (even if there's a migration script, problems could occur).

My point is that Feathur must have all of the features of SolusVM + more in order to replace Solus. Unfortunately open source and better security (time will tell) will not be enough, but it's a start. When it does have all of the functions that Solus have, a lot of hosting companies will simply move to it as a superior product.

Also some words about SolusVM - every software have security issues, however, the ones found in Solus were quite shocking - the coding looked like someone was in a hurry to complete the project without any audits. It was very disappointing to see how poorly things were done under the hood of this "industry standard" software.

• How great if the Feathur can implement the AJAX based Console?

• ReeceReece Member
    edited November 2013

I can't even believe these 2 are being compared at all.....

Feathur needs to mature a hell of a lot more.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited November 2013

Well Solusvm is better due to more time spent on it and a bigger team working on it, But then Feathur is probably good if you are tech savvy and know what your doing, But I fail to see how an open source project "Feathur " turns into another paid control panel.... :s Although granted it does cost less then its competition.

• In Feathur does it support Xen or HyperVM containers

• jhjh Member

@Reece said:
    I can't even believe these 2 are being compared at all.....

Feathur needs to mature a hell of a lot more.

And for that to happen people need to start using it now.

• Does Feathur do Xen?

• @XLvps - Not yet. It's in the works.

• @BlueVM You guys accept pull requests? I have a few features I'd be happy to add in time.

• @Adly - Yes. Assuming the pull makes sense. We'll likely test it first before including anything major.