Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SG VPS/Dedi to replace my Hostdoc?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SG VPS/Dedi to replace my Hostdoc?

Currently with Hostdoc and they are sadly shutting down. My KVM VPS has the following details:

9vCPU x i7 7700
12GB Ram
70GB NVMe + 150GB HDD
7TB @ 250mbps
$160/annually

Can anyone recommend a replacement? TIA

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2020

9vCPU x i7 7700

Is this correct? i7 only has 4 cores / 8 threads. Pretty unbeatable at $1/GB in Asia tho. Can you do with less RAM? If not you won't get this from anyone anywhere near that.

• @MikeA said:

9vCPU x i7 7700

Is this correct? i7 only has 4 cores / 8 threads. Pretty unbeatable at $1/GB in Asia tho. Can you do with less RAM? If not you won't get this from anyone anywhere near that.

Yeah not sure how it happened, but that's my VPS with them. Since he allowed combining different VPS plans, it got like that.

I can do less ram and no HDD, but the everything else is probably non negotiable in my use case.

• @MikeA said:

9vCPU x i7 7700

Heh.. trade secret number 473.. have a guess :-P

Seriously though, at this stage, price can't be a good comparison. Nobody can compete against a deadpooled unsustainable deal, and anyone who can is either insane or in an amazingly profitable position to do so.

• @dahartigan said:

@MikeA said:

9vCPU x i7 7700

Heh.. trade secret number 473.. have a guess :-P

Seriously though, at this stage, price can't be a good comparison. Nobody can compete against a deadpooled unsustainable deal, and anyone who can is either insane or in an amazingly profitable position to do so.

Indeed, I'm not asking to price match it, but looking to find something close to it.

I'm leaning for the Leaseweb SG VPS L. It might be a good alternative. Just want to know what the community can offer.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

I'll be damned, you can assign more cores than exist in the host to a VPS.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited February 2020

@georgedatacenter I saw you secretly liked someone's post...

Can I ask you kindly to bring us some $2.99/yr magic? :)

Thanked by 2vyas11 timelapse
  • @IonSwitch_Stan said:

I'll be damned, you can assign more cores than exist in the host to a VPS.

Did you just leak trade secret 473?

Thanked by 2dahartigan benj0x
  • IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

My next offer. The only provider with 220 fair-use cores in a single VPS. KVM wont let you boot with over 255 unless your in q35 mode... and even then wouldn't work. Would love to offer 1k cores.

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

@FAT32 said:

Not right now.

I've offered you a plan which you can test for a few days.

Intel Xeon E5-2680
    8 Cores
    12GB RAM
    200GB SSD
    Unmetered bandwidth
    1 IPV4
    NJ
    Vmware
    $99. /year

• @IonSwitch_Stan said:

My next offer. The only provider with 220 fair-use cores in a single VPS. KVM wont let you boot with over 255 unless your in q35 mode... and even then wouldn't work. Would love to offer 1k cores.

Although it is technically possible to assign 9 threads to an 8 thread host node, that's clearly fraud for selling something that isn't possible. And the good Doc is going around saying people have malicious intentions. Facts are facts.

• @georgedatacenter said:

@FAT32 said:

Not right now.

Intel Xeon E5-2680
    8 Cores
    12GB RAM
    200GB SSD
    Unmetered bandwidth
    1 IPV4
    NJ
    Vmware
    $99. /year

What is the location? THx

• @poisson said:

@IonSwitch_Stan said:

Although it is technically possible to assign 9 threads to an 8 thread host node, that's clearly fraud for selling something that isn't possible. And the good Doc is going around saying people have malicious intentions. Facts are facts.

You are a conundrum @poisson and a very confused academic
    So, you have very quickly forgotten your favourite hosts plan in Germany for a certain member with more cores than the host system?
    Yet, you praised that plan and encouraged more users to spend their cash on the same node???

Yes, it is possible to sell more cores than a system has you numpty and it is not fraud.
    You are just very salty.

Fraud. Shill. A lot of words that some may say sums "you" up perfectly.

• @vyas11 said:

@georgedatacenter said:

@FAT32 said:

Not right now.

Intel Xeon E5-2680
    8 Cores
    12GB RAM
    200GB SSD
    Unmetered bandwidth
    1 IPV4
    NJ
    Vmware
    $99. /year

@vyas11 said:

@georgedatacenter said:

@FAT32 said:

Not right now.

Intel Xeon E5-2680
    8 Cores
    12GB RAM
    200GB SSD
    Unmetered bandwidth
    1 IPV4
    NJ
    Vmware
    $99. /year

NJ = New Jersey ?

Thanked by 2vyas11 Ganonk
  • @HostDoc said:

@poisson said:

@IonSwitch_Stan said:

So, you have very quickly forgotten your favourite hosts plan in Germany for a certain member with more cores than the host system?
    Yet, you praised that plan and encouraged more users to spend their cash on the same node???

Yes, it is possible to sell more cores than a system has you numpty and it is not fraud.
    You are just very salty.

Not sure where you are going with multiple personal attacks, but well, nothing new.

@FAT32 said:

Not right now.

Intel Xeon E5-2680
    8 Cores
    12GB RAM
    200GB SSD
    Unmetered bandwidth
    1 IPV4
    NJ
    Vmware
    $99. /year

OMG can we pm you specs to price match?

@FAT32 said:

Not right now.

Intel Xeon E5-2680
    8 Cores
    12GB RAM
    200GB SSD
    Unmetered bandwidth
    1 IPV4
    NJ
    Vmware
    $99. /year

How to buy this plan?

• Dam Paypal tax. Nearly 6$ !

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • @vyas11 said:
    Dam Paypal tax. Nearly 6$ !

I know other hosts that also pass over the Paypal fee to clients haha

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • @timelapse said:

@vyas11 said:
    Dam Paypal tax. Nearly 6$ !

I know other hosts that also pass over the Paypal fee to clients haha

I am actually okay seeing that line item there. One way or another, there will be one party in the transaction who will have to pay the PayPal Tax. If not disclosed/ called out as such, the buyer in most cases would not even be aware.
    But just because I am okay seeing it does not mean I like it.

• ouvounouvoun Member
    edited February 2020

georgedatacenter said: Not right now.

Intel Xeon E5-2680
    8 Cores
    12GB RAM
    200GB SSD
    Unmetered bandwidth
    1 IPV4
    NJ
    Vmware
    $99. /year

That...seems too cheap man lol.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@ouvoun said:
    That...seems too cheap man lol.

But too luxury to idle. Some of us (including me) want something not too expensive, monthly payment and idle-able.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @isunbejo said:

@vyas11 said:

@georgedatacenter said:

@FAT32 said:

Not right now.

Intel Xeon E5-2680
    8 Cores
    12GB RAM
    200GB SSD
    Unmetered bandwidth
    1 IPV4
    NJ
    Vmware
    $99. /year

@vyas11 said:

@georgedatacenter said:

@FAT32 said:

Not right now.

Intel Xeon E5-2680
    8 Cores
    12GB RAM
    200GB SSD
    Unmetered bandwidth
    1 IPV4
    NJ
    Vmware
    $99. /year

NJ = New Jersey ?

OK thanks i'm noted

• Ah, guys, focus!

We're looking for a SGP VPS! :lol:

Thanked by 2uptime AK_KWH
  • @pullangcubo said:
    Ah, guys, focus!

We're looking for a SGP VPS! :lol:

Everybody got excited with @georgedatacenter's offer. LOL. Can't deny, he peaked my interest too.

• @poisson said:

@HostDoc said:

@poisson said:

@IonSwitch_Stan said:

You are just very salty.

Not sure where you are going with multiple personal attacks, but well, nothing new.

Try not take the attack personally. Try to detach yourself, recognizing the attack as more about the attacker’s emotional needs and communication skills. The attack is not a reflection on you.

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited February 2020

@dahartigan said:

@poisson said:

@HostDoc said:

@poisson said:

@IonSwitch_Stan said:

You are just very salty.

Try not take the attack personally. Try to detach yourself, recognizing the attack as more about the attacker’s emotional needs and communication skills. The attack is not a reflection on you.

I only worry if I don't have the facts. Here are the facts:

1. I have consistently given HostDoc high marks and recommended him on numerous occasions in the last 6 months based on available evidence, even in the Reliablesite spat (my words are publicly available for verification on relevant threads in LET).

2. When the evidence suggests serious issues with HostDoc's operations, I didn't continue to recommend him based on mounting new credible evidence. I left HostDoc the door open to recommending him again once the issues were addressed. Again, my words are verifiable with a search on LET.

What I got in return were those kinds of baseless accusations. Basically, what Doc is saying is that I should continue recommending him despite the serious problems I saw. Actually, HostDoc doesn't mind people being a shill it seems, as long as you are his shill.

Therefore, it is rich that he is decrying others for being a shill. I have no problems with HostDoc per se. If he had worked in his operational issues I would have gladly recommended him again because what the community need is more reliable providers, not fewer. However, he prefers not to work on being one, and that is not something any of us can help him with.

• kennsannkennsann Member
    edited February 2020

Ok, things just escalated quickly here.!

I never thought, you'll move your feud here, even if this was a thread asking for recommendation.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • @kennsann said:

I never thought, you'll move your feud here, even if this was a thread asking for recommendation.

Was just giving an opinion that your case looks like fraud because you were promised 9 cores on a 8 core host node and then the good Doc jumped in with his usual stuff. Actually, I don't have a feud with him; he has one with me.

• vyas11 said: I am actually okay seeing that line item there. One way or another, there will be one party in the transaction who will have to pay the PayPal Tax. If not disclosed/ called out as such, the buyer in most cases would not even be aware.

image ??

• @poisson said:

@kennsann said:

Was just giving an opinion that your case looks like fraud because you were promised 9 cores on a 8 core host node and then the good Doc jumped in with his usual stuff. Actually, I don't have a feud with him; he has one with me.

I didn't mind the 9vCores, Its probably just for purposes of knowing what I was sold. Since I wanted to combine everything that I bought from them into one VPS.