Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brexit - what now? How about VAT? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Brexit - what now? How about VAT?

2»

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I used to support Scotland independence back in 2014.
    Not anymore since they voted no to that referendum.

Economically, Scotland has got nothing. Greece at least has the nice weather and prime location as a trading hub. Scotland has virtually nothing. If they leave UK, I am sure EU will let them in, only because of their sea. Other than that, Scotland will sink to the very bottom economy wise.

N. Ireland should rejoin Ireland and become whole again. Wales is better off being a part of England.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@deank said:
    I used to support Scotland independence back in 2014.
    Not anymore since they voted no to that referendum.

Economically, Scotland has got nothing. Greece at least has the nice weather and prime location as a trading hub. Scotland has virtually nothing. If they leave UK, I am sure EU will let them in, only because of their sea. Other than that, Scotland will sink to the very bottom economy wise.

N. Ireland should rejoin Ireland and become whole again. Wales is better off being a part of England.

Waaa? Scotland didn't support Brexit and do want their independence. I'm confused with your comment. Maybe I didn't read the news properly?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Scotland had a referendum in 2014 for independence.
    They voted no.

Brexit vote happened in 2016. SNP (Scottish Nation Party) is using that for another referendum.

In my opinion though, just because circumstance changed, that doesn't mean it warrants another referendum. A referendum is once in a life time thingy, at least in my book.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You really need a new accountant that keeps up with the changes. Imagine how many other regulations he or she ignored that changed same as MOSS.

Also, really? MOSS is really simple.

Thanked by 1pike
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited January 2020

deank said: Economically, Scotland has got nothing. Greece at least has the nice weather and prime location as a trading hub. Scotland has virtually nothing. If they leave UK, I am sure EU will let them in, only because of their sea. Other than that, Scotland will sink to the very bottom economy wise.

Talking out of your arse. Scotland as a region is only surpassed by London and the South East when it comes to GDP. Tens of millions in England and Wales generate 50% less wealth. Much of that wealth could potentially be as a result of being in the EU, we will see.

On top of that, 40% of disposable income in the South East is spent on mortgages while the rest of us spend on VAT rated goods.

Scotland is the only part of the UK with a healthy surplus in its balance of payments. 10s of billions a year.

A lot of wealth is counted in London due to companies being headquartered there.

Add to that the fact Scotland is reckoned to have 25% of Europe's entire renewable energy potential, as well as the several hundred billion GBP that has been extracted from the North Sea to date. Saying 'Scotland has virtually nothing' suggests you should stick to your short sentences.

Thanked by 2pike MikePT
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited January 2020

^ Just need the population density, hydro generation (Doubtful Sound) and points immigration system of NZ, along with EFTA. Sorted.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • LeeLee Veteran

MikePT said: but small companies need to know what to do.

Nothing, today is largely symbolic, all laws and rules are still the same, still got the same freedom of movement and everything else until some point in the future when a full exit deal is agreed.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint MikePT
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited January 2020

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    You really need a new accountant that keeps up with the changes. Imagine how many other regulations he or she ignored that changed same as MOSS.

Also, really? MOSS is really simple.

Dom, Portugal isn't UK, if you have 100 companies out of 100k, that's perhaps too much already.

As for a new accountant, definitely.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

RIP to all the UK businesses

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@lonea said:
    RIP to all the UK businesses

Lol

Thanked by 1Lee
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

UK businesses will be fine, they will do gut and it will all be prem.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @Jord said:
    UK businesses will be fine, they will do gut and it will all be prem.

You dream, general.
    Only in matter of months or a year at best,
    Can't really say how deep the roller coaster for GBP after that.

• I am finding this whole thing so hard to comprehend haha.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited January 2020

FrequentNetworks said: I am finding this whole thing so hard to comprehend haha.

You talkin' World Series (sic)/ Superbowl?

• pikepike Veteran

Aaaaand they gone. (on paper)

In fact nothing changes now, they still have not decided to go for or against a specific deal, now they want to negotiate disregarding the fact that EU already said (like 3-4 times) there will be no substantial changes to the deal. They just digged a deeper hole to sit in now, zero influence on EU regulations but still need to obey them aswell as the european courts.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2020

FrequentNetworks said: I am finding this whole thing so hard to comprehend haha.

I am thinking many on here should stick to hosting as a discussion, well those that do it well.

• terrorgenterrorgen Member
    edited February 2020

Not sure why Farage did the flag waving thing in European parliament, makes him more like a clown.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @deank said:
    Finally, Sweden is a lost cause. It will be a Muslim country soon and, at that point, they will be kicked out of EU.

That’s such an Islamaphobic comment. You should be ashamed and disgusted of yourself and also anyone who “liked” your comment.

• Can't say anything these days anymore. You'll be either a racist or some phobic instantly.

Thanked by 1default
  • corefluxcoreflux Member
    edited February 2020

@deank said:
    Finally, Sweden is a lost cause. It will be a Muslim country soon and, at that point, they will be kicked out of EU.

Careful what you wish for, it's better for EU to settle their debts before you saying that.
    Even US which always selling their sh*tty gold without paying a dime for debts they own.
    Plus not to mention UK debts too,... #lol

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

After the implementation period, without an agreement in place, lets say we default to WTO, there will be no VAT due between EU and UK in either direction.

I wont be charging VAT from our LT company to UK individuals without an explicit law that compels us to do so.

• @terrorgen said:
    Not sure why Farage did the flag waving thing in European parliament, makes him more like a clown.

I find Farage to be a rather puzzling personality.

On the one hand, there are interviews with him where he comes across as fairly intelligent and reasonable, and even if I personally don't agree with a lot of what he says, I can kind of understand where he's coming from.

On the other hand, whenever he speaks (spoke) in the European Parliament, he comes (came) across as a madman, not much different from the "bad boys' in school that liked to misbehave just for the sake of misbehaving and of creating a scene.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

@deank said:
    I, too, doubt he will extend. His whole election campaign was based on getting Brexit done ASAP.

Taking Johnson at his word is a bold move. Here's a few of his lies and instances of dishonesty (not his exact words though)

1. I will lie in front of the bulldozers before Heathrow gets a new runway
    2. I did not allocate public funds to my mistress
    3. I will not confirm how many children I have
    4. Denied hiding in a fridge
    5. I'd rather be dead in a ditch than ask for a brexit extension
    6. ... Etc.
    Thanked by 1MadRabbit