Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Understanding AUP's CPU Load Terms - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Understanding AUP's CPU Load Terms

13»

Comments

• @hostnoob said:
    My advice would be to run what you're planning to run on Ramnode, and see what happens. If it doesn't cause issues, then you won't have any problems. If it constantly impacts the node, then Ramnode will deal with it how they see fit

I got an email from them about my high CPU usage. After just a few hours before I even checked my emails, they already shut down my server proactively. Here is the RamNode reply:

"you need to keep your usage below 1.0 at all time, but can spike to the amount of cores your plan provides for up to an hour".

That is why I searched the Internet to understand this problem more (I don't think I could figure this out simply by reading the AUP even after fact) and found these discussions across many forums.

Usually a VPS buyer shops for a 4-cores package because he needs 4 cores consistently, at least for a newbie like me. I don't see who would look for a 4-cores package with the idea in mind that he just needs 1.0 load except for the spikes. Maybe in real-life situations, RamNode can take care most of the cases, so it's totally fine for most of the users even when a lot of them have not read the ToS. But for people who use 4 cores consistently and don't read the ToS, just take the fault and move out. Time wasted but it's totally your fault. Thanks for the lesson from both customer and business points of view.

Thanked by 24n0nx howardsl2
  • @joe0528 It's virtual services dude, it's a shared resource that's no different than cPanel, if you use more than your fair share and causes a denial of service to other customers on the same node, of course they're going to have a problem with you. Tell me how CPU is different from having access to a 1 gigabit ethernet port or harddrive I/O. With each customer the usage adds up and if you want dedicated resources then get a dedicated server, that way everyone will be happy.

• I asked a few VPS I have used and am using. They all replied similarly that 4 cores package means I can use 4.0 CPU load consistently.

Again, I am not asking for dedicated resources. But a reply like "you need to keep your usage below 1.0 at all time, but can spike to the amount of cores your plan provides for up to an hour" for a 4-core packages is totally new to me.

• @joe0528 said:
    I asked a few VPS I have used and am using. They all replied similarly that 4 cores package means I can use 4.0 CPU load consistently.

Again, I am not asking for dedicated resources. But a reply like "you need to keep your usage below 1.0 at all time, but can spike to the amount of cores your plan provides for up to an hour" for a 4-core packages is totally new to me.

Which hosts? I might be needing a box that can do a LOT of video encoding soon

• hostnoob said: Which hosts? I might be needing a box that can do a LOT of video encoding soon

contabo, server4you (careful, written cancellation may be required), webtropia and maybe keyweb and hetzner server auction.

1blu and netcup only have German language websites.

• @hostnoob said:

I don't get it why many think 1.0 load for a 4-cores package is the norm. Using up to 4.0 load at all time for a 4-cores package is the standard. Try Linode or Droplet that I have been using and I also confirmed with them after this event.

If you provide something different than the standard, I still think it's a right thing to do by noting it in the package list page or some marketing page where people receive information about your products/services, or you are utilizing the fact/phenomenon that some ppl/newbies just don't read ToS.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

@hostnoob said:

prometeus, iperweb, edis (not waveride), urpad, many others, even bluevm, budgetvm allowed me to use all cores permanently, Bluevm did suspend me, but i went over the maximum load which happened with others too, but not permanently.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @hostnoob said:

If you're gonna do that, why not use Amazon EC2 instances that have the NVIDIA GPU's installed so you can have acceleration in the encoding?

• In conclusion using 20-25%/alltime is a fair usage?

• @getvps said:
    In conclusion using 20-25%/alltime is a fair usage?

I will never use it when others provide up to 100%/all time. Besides, I can't endure to take the risk that my server might get shutdown any time if it stays 1.0+ load over an hour. I can't live with the tension like this.

• it also depends what cpu's they use slow E5 or fast E3. E5 you will have less to use.

• 4n0nx said: contabo, server4you (careful, written cancellation may be required), webtropia and maybe keyweb and hetzner server auction.

You just listed the worst hosts (-keyweb) that exist in Germany when in comes to VPS.

• Our AUP does not say you can't max out your cores but it does say you can't do it all day. We updated it a while back to be more flexible and favorable compared to when this thread started.

@Nick_A I was shopping for a VPS a while back, when you had the old AUP, and I ended up excluding RamNode because I'm used to compile software from sources on my VPS and dedicated boxes and I was worried that the service would be suspended.

After seeing this thread I've read again your AUP today, and I would still exclude RamNode from my shortlist: the more flexible policy is much less clear on what could actually trigger a suspension or termination.

• tr1cky said: You just listed the worst hosts (-keyweb) that exist in Germany when in comes to VPS.

My experience was good, even with server4you.

• 4n0nx said: My experience was good, even with server4you.

You ran cpu-heavy stuff there? They throttle the hell out of you if you try.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@quicksilver03 - Happy to talk it over via PM, ticket, etc.

• @4n0nx said:

>

You get dedicated RAM and HDD with a VPS

Who'd hell told you that you can always get a dedicated HDD with a VPS?

The only dedicated HDD plan I've ever seen is the send-your-hdd-here plan from Delimiter's, which is basically $10(?) for an empty HDD slot where you buy a drive and fill it in. Please correct me if I lost my mind somehow.

All other providers, include Linode, are providing a shared HDD/SSD (in an array) where hundreds of VPS read and write from the same device(s).

• msg7086 said: Please correct me if I lost my mind somehow.

Yes of course it's all shared. All VPS's use the same RAM sticks,too lol. I was referring to dedicated resources that you can use as much as you want. (e.g. not "burst RAM" ). No one has called CPU cores "burst CPU" yet, when that would be a fitting description.

Thanked by 1joe0528
  • tr1cky said: You ran cpu-heavy stuff there? They throttle the hell out of you if you try.

I don't remember details, just that I used the VPS to the fullest extent (bandwidth, RAM, HDD and CPU). Minecraft? ffmpeg? Not sure..