Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW YEARS EVE/DAY BANGING DEALZ MEGATHREAD - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NEW YEARS EVE/DAY BANGING DEALZ MEGATHREAD

Comments

• @thedp said:

@angstrom said:

@Freelogic said:

@freerangecloud said: What command are you using to get the memory?

Any tests(bench/nench/bench.monster).
    top show "KiB Mem : 1015428" == 991M

In my VPS, top shows:

KiB Mem : 1015796 total

which is == 1040 MB (== 1,04 GB)

@Freelogic

1015428 KiB == 1039 MB (== 1,03 GB)

Here's mine.

MiB Mem :    987.2 total,    727.2 free,     65.4 used,    194.5 buff/cache

Right: 987.2 MiB == 1034 MB == 1.03 GB

It's all good :smile:

• @thedp said:

@angstrom said:

@thedp said:

@freerangecloud said:
    Probably best to address this in a support ticket as it's more suited, but what is the specific error? The link seems to work for me in Chrome.

@angstrom said:
    @freerangecloud

The link https://manager.freerangecloud.com/Documents/Guide-Re-Install.Console.pdf gives a warning about the certificate

(The plain http version of this link works)

It's fine on Chrome but not FF.

I'm on FF.

According to FF, the problem is that the certificate is valid for the domain www.manager.freerangecloud.com but not for the domain manager.freerangecloud.com

Which means that https://www.manager.freerangecloud.com/Documents/Guide-Re-Install.Console.pdf works on FF

Correcto! :)

@freerangecloud

The only reason that I mentioned this is because the link given in the email "New VPS Created" is https://manager[...] and not https://www.manager[...], and FF doesn't like the former because the certificate isn't valid for https://manager[...]

(Sorry, perhaps I should have opened a ticket about this, but I thought that there were probably others reading this thread who were puzzled by the certificate issue on FF. Anyway, this is the diagnosis of the problem)

Thanked by 2DP freerangecloud
  • @angstrom said:

@Freelogic said:

In my VPS, top shows:

@Freelogic

Hmm, all the tests (and I, too) come from 1M = 1024K, etc. I bought VDS from other providers, they are also considered based on this formula (1M = 1024K). As I understand it, this is such an element of marketing :(

• what absolute BANGING DEALS, COULDNT BANG ANY HARDER IF THEY TRIED.

Thanked by 1MatthewLeigh
  • @Jord said:

@zomby1 said:

@Jord said:

@zomby1 said:

@Jord said:

@zomby1 said:
    Any shared hosting or Dedis?

No like my dealz sir :(

maybe more then
    "CPU: 100%
    Mem: 1G
    Entry Processors: 30
    I/O: 10MB/s
    " :)?

Depends what you need?

For know to host game server site + game panel

Just the panel and site? Connecting to a server with the games on I'm guessing?

Kind of. It is just for the developers

• @Freelogic said:

@angstrom said:

@Freelogic said:

In my VPS, top shows:

@Freelogic

Hmm, all the tests (and I, too) come from 1M = 1024K, etc. I bought VDS from other providers, they are also considered based on this formula (1M = 1024K). As I understand it, this is such an element of marketing :(

I'm not sure what you mean by "an element of marketing"

This VPS is advertised as having 1024MB RAM, and this is what you received (me too, and @thedp too)

By the way, the formula "1MB = 1024KB" is incorrect because 1MB = 1000KB; but it's true that 1MiB = 1024KiB . Misunderstandings can arise if one simply writes "1M" (or "1024K") because it's not always clear whether MB or MiB (or KB or KiB) is intended

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@angstrom said:

@Freelogic said:

@angstrom said:

@Freelogic said:

In my VPS, top shows:

@Freelogic

This VPS is advertised as having 1024MB RAM, and this is what you received (me too, and @thedp too)

By the way, the formula "1MB = 1024KB" is incorrect because 1MB = 1000KB; but it's true that 1MiB = 1024KiB . Misunderstandings can arise if one simply writes "1M" (or "1024K") because it's not always clear whether MB or MiB (or KB or KiB) is intended

@Freelogic Run this and it might satisfy you :joy:

free --mega

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited January 2020

@angstrom said:

@Freelogic said:

@angstrom said:

@Freelogic said:

In my VPS, top shows:

@Freelogic

those old enough, will understand 1MB = 1024KB. MiB is just some stupid bs for people not getting a grip of a binary system. at least windows still understands :-P

maybe ask M.Welsh & L.Kaufmann what they'd consider 4MB of RAM ;-) ;-)

@Freelogic yes marketing bs, introduced in '98. came in handy to f*ck people over capacities ever since then.

• thedp said: @Freelogic Run this and it might satisfy you :joy:

@thedp,
    Do you really think that I cannot divide the number of RAM bytes in VDS by 1,000,000? I just bought VDS from other providers, and there the offers were based on the "1024x" formula. Which seems more honest to me. They could also be divided into "1000x" and promoted by higher digits.

• Nitpicking for a $15/yr VPS is a great way to start the year...

• @Falzo said:

@angstrom said:

@Freelogic said:

@angstrom said:

@Freelogic said:

In my VPS, top shows:

@Freelogic

those old enough, will understand 1MB = 1024KB. MiB is just some stupid bs for people not getting a grip of a binary system. at least windows still understands :-P

@Freelogic yes marketing bs, introduced in '98. came in handy to f*ck people over capacities ever since then.

@Falzo, I'm definitely old enough to remember those days :smiley:

I was just trying to defend @freerangecloud , because they didn't say anything incorrect. Indeed, by the "old reasoning", just as 1MB = 1024KB, we used to say that 1GB = 1024MB. @freerangecloud said that this VPS has 1024MB, which is indeed what it has.

But I can also sympathize with @Freelogic's reaction. Here's a Geekbench of this VPS that I did a couple of hours ago:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15093695 (a decent score, by the way!)

Geekbench says that the memory is "991 MB" -- what a disappointment! What happened?! Well, technically, this is 991 MiB, which is indeed == 1024MB == 1GB.

Thanked by 2DP Falzo
  • @t0ny0 said:
    Nitpicking for a $15/yr VPS is a great way to start the year...

Hey, but this is LET, a place where some would swap their sister for a VPS!

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for the diligence, I'll update email that get's sent out.

@angstrom said:

@thedp said:

@angstrom said:

@thedp said:

@freerangecloud said:
    Probably best to address this in a support ticket as it's more suited, but what is the specific error? The link seems to work for me in Chrome.

@angstrom said:
    @freerangecloud

The link https://manager.freerangecloud.com/Documents/Guide-Re-Install.Console.pdf gives a warning about the certificate

(The plain http version of this link works)

It's fine on Chrome but not FF.

I'm on FF.

According to FF, the problem is that the certificate is valid for the domain www.manager.freerangecloud.com but not for the domain manager.freerangecloud.com

Which means that https://www.manager.freerangecloud.com/Documents/Guide-Re-Install.Console.pdf works on FF

Correcto! :)

@freerangecloud

The only reason that I mentioned this is because the link given in the email "New VPS Created" is https://manager[...] and not https://www.manager[...], and FF doesn't like the former because the certificate isn't valid for https://manager[...]

(Sorry, perhaps I should have opened a ticket about this, but I thought that there were probably others reading this thread who were puzzled by the certificate issue on FF. Anyway, this is the diagnosis of the problem)

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Falzo said: those old enough, will understand 1MB = 1024KB. MiB is just some stupid bs for people not getting a grip of a binary system. at least windows still understands :-P

It was messed up by Hard Disk manufacturers' marketing and sale teams...

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited January 2020

@greattomeetyou said:

Falzo said: those old enough, will understand 1MB = 1024KB. MiB is just some stupid bs for people not getting a grip of a binary system. at least windows still understands :-P

yeah, that's why no one ever cared to finally make a byte ten bit instead of only eight. I mean we don't want to suddenly give out more instead of less, right? :-D

actually it was IEC who introduced Kibi and Mebi as prefixex for factor 2^10 in 1998 afaik. while the intention to seperate it from kilo/mega prefixes some might consider an... idea... it IMHO it was a poor approach to regulate stuff that was totally unneccessary.

as we can clearly see 22 years later it only adds more to the confusion and is still not really accepted as a standard. that's about the same as with starting to eradicate genderized language. so much crap as outcome...

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @Falzo said:

@greattomeetyou said:

Falzo said: those old enough, will understand 1MB = 1024KB. MiB is just some stupid bs for people not getting a grip of a binary system. at least windows still understands :-P

yeah, that's why no one ever cared to finally make a byte ten bit instead of only eight. I mean we don't want to suddenly give out more instead of less, right? :-D

actually it was IEC who introduced Kibi and Mebi as prefixex for factor 2^10 in 1998 afaik. while the intention to seperate it from kilo/mega prefixes some might consider an... idea... it IMHO it was a poor approach to regulate stuff that was totally unneccessary.

as we can clearly see 22 years later it only adds more to the confusion and is still not really accepted as a standard. that's about the same as with starting to eradicate genderized language. so much crap as outcome...

I may not be quite so pessimistic as you about the terminology. :smile: After all, these things take time. It's a matter of educating ordinary people/users about these two different standards. But I think that there's much more awareness of this difference now than there was back in 1996 when the second edition of Welsh & Kaufman appeared. :smile:

(I've just checked: as far as I can tell, Welsh & Kaufman 1996 say nothing about the difference between megabyte and mebibyte -- also nothing about the conceptual/technical difference between these two notions.)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • This has come up before, it's just overhead for running the VM. Happens with ovz, kvm, esxi, etc.

• Guess i missed all teh offers... stewpid alcohol!

• @Melita said:
    @FAT32 @NanoG6

Okay then, LEBSGPOPSSD-A is now applicable to monthly payment as well. So $24/year or $2/month. We don't normally accept amount this low and prefer $5 or above payment because in the past some hackers is using us to test their harvested credit card :(

@nem can I squeeze apnscp on this 512MB KVM?

• DelongDelong Member
    edited January 2020

@dahartigan said:

@poisson said:
    @Delong are you bringing Robin Hood and the Merry Men for some banditlicious offers?

Good call, I'm always looking forward to what the Bandit has to offer.

Laid low my dudes! So we enjoyed the holidays and kicked out that 20% promo before :) still active btw! Code: XMAS-NYE2020 for 20% off everything!

@Jord said:
    Not allowed since I bought my VPS :joy:

Hopefully you're enjoying it! Looking to get the east coast stood up later this month, early Feb so long as no more delays pop up haha.

Thanked by 3dahartigan poisson Jord
  • @Delong said:

@dahartigan said:

@poisson said:
    @Delong are you bringing Robin Hood and the Merry Men for some banditlicious offers?

Laid low my dudes! So we enjoyed the holidays and kicked out that 20% promo before :) still active btw! Code: XMAS-NYE2020 for 20% off everything!

@Jord said:

Hopefully you're enjoying it! Looking to get the east coast stood up later this month, early Feb so long as no more delays pop up haha.

Which are the LA VPS?

• @zhujiwiki said:

@Delong said:

@dahartigan said:

@poisson said:

@Jord said:

Which are the LA VPS?

Hey @zhujiwiki we don't currently have nodes in LA. Our servers are based out of Ogden, UT, a bit north of Salt Lake City. You can find some network benchmarks in our latest offer thread here if you're interested. Let me know if you have any questions or have any specific requirements and I'd be more than happy to figure it out with you!

• @zhujiwiki said:

@Delong said:

@dahartigan said:

@poisson said:

@Jord said:

Which are the LA VPS?

UT location is also very good for Asia and Australia, you should consider it as a good alternative to LA :-)

• Need MORE DEALSSSSS :smile:
    Some providers please

Thanked by 1MatthewLeigh
  • @zomby1 said:
    Need MORE DEALSSSSS :smile:
    Some providers please

What do you need?

• webdevwebdev Member
    edited January 2020

@BharatB said:
    https://readydedis.com/cloud-servers

Any plan 50% off for cloud servers, free DA license under this offer would then be applicable only for 8GB and 16GB options.

Coupon Code NEWYEAR2020

Applicable for only 1 order per client and only new signups.

Does LA has IPV6? If I buy 1G, can I upgrade to 2G later and keep the Coupon?

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@webdev said:

If it's really needed we will get them, for now, we don't and no, this is like a one-time use coupon, an upgrade would override it. If you want a refund within 7 days just open a ticket, I'll personally handle it for you.

• @dahartigan said:

@zomby1 said:
    Need MORE DEALSSSSS :smile:
    Some providers please

What do you need?

Share hosting and dedis (EU)

• any offers that are "torrent friendly" ?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Don't think there'll be any more offers tbh.

This discussion has been closed.