Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MXroute - Abrupt service cancellation - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MXroute - Abrupt service cancellation

2»

Comments

• @jar said:

@t0ny0 said:
    Just to confirm - its completely fine to use the service as SMTP to send out order emails from an ecommerce site, right?

Not only fine, it's something I've spent far too much money to make sure you can do with the highest success rates :)

Gotcha, thanks for your reply. Service is awesome, so your time and money are definitely well spent on it :-)

Thanked by 1jar
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

From my personal experience some of these Microsoft SPAM reports are not true indication of SPAMing.

• jar said: It's not documented and Microsoft won't acknowledge that it's different for everyone. For us, right now, they'll send 100% of them regardless. Not everyone gets the same treatment, we didn't until recently.

Jarland, if his clients acted like morons and stated their transactional/receipt email as spam, aren't they responsible for their act? I mean, if I buy something from a legitimate store and mark the receipt as spam, wouldn't I commit a fraud to MS mail and the owner of the store? Is there any way to inform MS that their free client marked incorrectly the sender's account mail as spam?

• His clients marked as spam for what ever reason. MS logs the IP of the mailer, then blocks that IP from their world. Jarland now holds useless IP addresses at his own expense. I want to send to my grammy on Hotmail and now I can't until Jar spends more money on clean IP space. The account owner gets a full refund. The only person that takes a hit is Jarland.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2019

jvnadr said: Jarland, if his clients acted like morons and stated their transactional/receipt email as spam, aren't they responsible for their act? I mean, if I buy something from a legitimate store and mark the receipt as spam, wouldn't I commit a fraud to MS mail and the owner of the store? Is there any way to inform MS that their free client marked incorrectly the sender's account mail as spam?

Blame isn't as important as who pays the price for the actions. There's no one listening at Microsoft for this situation. As great as they've been to me, I understand that courtesy to only continue so long as I pay attention to their needs, and the JMRP is their way of letting me know what those are. It's up to me to take care of recurring themes from it, because I don't know how many I can ignore before it's game over. I just know that ignoring them is the primary path to getting IPs blocked.

There's no one to contact and notify, no one to speak to. The only conversation they'll have with you is if emails start bouncing for IP rejection, and then only so long as they've deemed you worthy of responding to. I aim to continue to show that I'm working to balance the needs of my customers and the needs of the recipient services they want to email.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • Jar, one thing that may be helpful (and is really nice) that Postmark does is to keep account owners aware of things as far as transactional email and spam. I get a weekly notice for my routes and the ability to see where I need to fix things before I get warnings.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2019

jar said: Blame isn't as important as who pays the price for the actions. There's no one listening at Microsoft for this situation. As great as they've been to me, I understand that courtesy to only continue so long as I pay attention to their needs, and the JMRP is their way of letting me know what those are. It's up to me to take care of recurring themes from it, because I don't know how many I can ignore before it's game over. I just know that ignoring them is the primary path to getting IPs blocked.

I wasn't really talking about you, of course most of providers are small fishes for MS. my comment was more of a real theoretical question on the actions that MS and similar email providers should take not only against the sender, but against the "bad apples" using their services as (free) clients...
    Besides, a question: is it possible to use your service on my account as a low volume mail relay (no more than 100-200 mails per day, usually no more than 15-20 mails per day)?

Thanked by 1jar
    edited December 2019

jvnadr said: similar email providers should take not only against the sender, but against the "bad apples" using their services as (free) clients

That's actually a good point. I've blacklisted a small number of recipients that repeatedly reported opt-in emails as spam. Seems only fair that they shouldn't be able to receive the emails they opted into if they're going to try to punish the sender for sending them.

jvnadr said: Besides, a question: is it possible to use your service on my account as a low volume mail relay (no more than 100-200 mails per day, usually no more than 15-20 mails per day)?

Doesn't bother me any, just don't spoof yahoo/gmail/etc in From headers when sending out to major services. DMARC is getting pretty serious these days. Check out how bad it's getting, and I only wrote this from the Google perspective because that's where the volume goes, but it's the same story elsewhere: https://mxroute.com/google-does-not-respect-srs-do-not-forward-email-to-google/

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • The "discussion" owner should ask the mods to remove his customer URL, your customer wouldn't want this trendy on Google when somebody search for the domain. Always be careful when posting stuff around.

Thanked by 1rafanake
  • @Hxxx said:
    The "discussion" owner should ask the mods to remove his customer URL, your customer wouldn't want this trendy on Google when somebody search for the domain. Always be careful when posting stuff around.

This is also an interesting attack vector. Find someone you don't like, order four cheap products from them (or heck, just e-mail them four times and wait for their replies), then mark their e-mails as spam.

Thanked by 3Hxxx jar Unixfy
    edited December 2019

@barik You don't know just how right you are, how unavoidable it can be, and how much it already happens. It's a tad embarrassing when my invoices and welcome emails go to spam folders because of people doing just that. Thanks to those who mean harm, my customers often get better delivery than I do ;)

There are some vulnerabilities we all have to endure by the design of those who manage large enough portions of the internet.

• sirs, please how do i flag mails as spam? send the "spam"-mail to abuse@provider?

• @hyperblast said:
    sirs, please how do i flag mails as spam? send the "spam"-mail to abuse@provider?

There is no universal way, but https://www.spamcop.net/ will do effectively what you say above, find the abuse@ address after looking at the full headers and e-mail it to them.

Thanked by 1hyperblast