Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Intermittent?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Intermittent?

I got new VPS on cyber monday, to replace my old VPS. This is personal use VPS for monitoring my stuff and some test development. Nothing heavy.

It's from virmach, 3GB of ram with 1 CPU.

I set up cacti on ubuntu. Mostly running on default config, except for SNMP timeout which i up till 5 secs. The cacti query to my home router (for bandwidth monitoring). Unfortunately, the reading mostly failed (> 50%). Not sure timeout or what but the machine seems intermittent. If that's possible to happen? Also when I try to access the cacti web.. It's also failed a few time.. Something like 2-3 time connection error per 5 minutes browsing session.

My old VPS with 2GB ram never have this problem. Any idea what went wrong before I contacted the provider.

Last 12 hour

From old VPS

Comments

• Check system uptime.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited December 2019

hello @aneip

might help to add some more standard diagnostic info to your trouble ticket - I'm not sure exactly what the overlap with cacti reports would be, but generally for network issues you might expect to use an mtr report to assess connections both to and from the server. (Look for the mtr-tiny package for an apt install)

might also want to check for anything unexpected happening with disk and cpu availability - atop is a simple monitoring utility which can track resource use over time. Default configuration logs a snapshot every 10 minutes - you can customize details and do a realtime display as well. Should be available on ubuntu via apt install.