Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small web resources...?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small web resources...?

sallysally Member
edited December 2019 in General

I'm a freelancer looking to set up a modest one-pager web presence advertising my services, but mainly serving as a point of contact for any referrals.

To gather the essentials together beforehand, I'm hoping for some kind advice on the following resources or ideas:

• A simple but modern one-page template
  • The essentials for a contact form, preferably where files can be uploaded also (SSL or not?)
  • A recommended UK or EU provider offering at least some of the essential server-side building blocks
  • A good tutorial on how stitch all this stuff together into the end product, which yours truly will be performing solo
  • I'm not beholden to WPress & Co, so any alternatives affording simplicity and compactness would be interesting

Many thanks in advance for any and all recommendations!

Comments

• @sally said:
    I'm a freelancer looking to set up a modest one-pager web presence advertising my services, but mainly serving as a point of contact for any referrals.

To gather the essentials together beforehand, I'm hoping for some kind advice on the following resources or ideas:

• A simple but modern one-page template
    • The essentials for a contact form, preferably where files can be uploaded also (SSL or not?)
    • A recommended UK or EU provider offering at least some of the essential server-side building blocks
    • A good tutorial on how stitch all this stuff together into the end product, which yours truly will be performing solo
    • I'm not beholden to WPress & Co, so any alternatives affording simplicity and compactness would be interesting

Many thanks in advance for any and all recommendations!

@armandorg @Ympker @Unixfy @imok will be able to help you :)

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

And I'm sure I can come up with some nice UK hosting for you too @sally 😊

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

If its just one static page and you plan to use almost no (or few) images then you can implement it serverless via Cloudflare workers. It works like a charm <3

Thanked by 2sally Unixfy
  • The title of your question has the answer. @smallweb

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited December 2019

Free works? ServedEz.com :)

• @seriesn you and @MikePT are awesome too. :-)

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2019

Like others said: @Mic-hael , @MikePT and @seriesn will have you covered. As for creating a snappy non wp site, have a look at Mobirise :)

• @Ympker said:
    Like others said: @Mic-hael , @MikePT and @seriesn will have you covered. As for creating a snappy non wp site, have a look at Mobirise :)

Thumbs up from the person who maintains a well documented list of shared hosting providers!

@sally do not wish to add to the problem of plenty (of awesome hosts) but excluding the location, carrd.co might also fit the bill. They had a pretty nice BF offer, not sure if that is still the case.

• @Ympker said:

Snappy and non WP are like music to my ears, so thanks a lot for the tip!
    Any advice for a 'snappy' little template to match (minimal or no images)...?
    Thanks to all for responding! :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@sally said:

@Ympker said:

Snappy and non WP are like music to my ears, so thanks a lot for the tip!
    Any advice for a 'snappy' little template to match (minimal or no images)...?
    Thanks to all for responding! :)

We'd be glad to host your website... :-).

As for your second request for a minimal template, @Ympker is the right guy for WordPress advice.

Thanked by 3Ympker sally timelapse
  • A simple site with a contact form, honestly, mobirise will do the trick. Has a simple contact form too. And free to go with your free @seriesn hosting.

It just so happens I provide simple ready to go business websites for people just like you. If you're willing to roll up your sleeves you'll save yourself at least $500 by doing that yourself if you look at it that way :-)

Thanked by 3sally seriesn timelapse
  • Thanks guys, looking into mobirise right now... :)

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

If static, how about bypassing hosting and host directly off a CDN at $14/TB of traffic that is completely non-expiring and rolls over to next year if needed?

Thanked by 1sally
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Hellow,

We have our datacenter in UK and i specialize in Web Design, but indeed, if you're asking for something minimal & cheap, go with those that the forum members are suggesting.

Thanked by 2timelapse sally
  • Thanks @timelapse

Lately I am playing around a lot more with WordPress, but my favorites for non-WP and snappy are Bootstrap Studio (outputs raw HTML, I just upload to a S3 bucket and serve with Cloudfront, fast and costs almost nothing!) and Grav (you can check out my demo at https://unixfy.xyz, I put together the site in about 10 minutes and it costs about $2/year - $1/year for the domain and $1/year for the VPS that hosts it).

Hope that helped.

Thanked by 2timelapse sally
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited December 2019

@Unixfy said:

$1/year for the domain and $1/year for the VPS that hosts it.

Smallweb BF Special and...?

Edit: I had thought it would be $1 Gullo's BF, but wanted to know if there was anything else. The Virmach 1/1/1/1 offer maybe :-) j/k

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • vyas11 said: Smallweb BF Special and...?

Smallweb BF special & @Cam $1/year "flash sale" coupon :wink:

• @Unixfy said:

vyas11 said: Smallweb BF Special and...?

Smallweb BF special & @Cam $1/year "flash sale" coupon :wink:

Its here, I missed it too. How many was it? I think it was limited

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3052564/#Comment_3052564

Thanked by 1sally
  • Thanks a lot guys!

Two things I should also have mentioned:

Domain name needed

I already have a tiny box running a private VPN (1GB ram, 5GB storage).
    Would I be stretching it a bit to host from this as well...?

• timelapse said: Its here, I missed it too. How many was it? I think it was limited

Not sure, I think it was (very short) time limited similar to the shared hosting deal.

sally said: Would I be stretching it a bit to host from this as well...?

No. Almost certainly fine. My Grav site and dependencies (webserver/php) fit nicely in the 3GB storage of the $1/year VPS.

• Unixfy said: No. Almost certainly fine. My Grav site and dependencies (webserver/php) fit nicely in the 3GB storage of the $1/year VPS.

Thanks for your help.

Memory: 1GB + 1GB swap
    Have about 2GB of HD space free