Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self-Hosted Audio Conferencing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self-Hosted Audio Conferencing

ricardoricardo Member
edited December 2019 in General

I've been using zulipchat with colleagues but find their audo conferencing a bit laggy due to the way it's set up.

Anyone have recommendations for conference audio chat that's self-hosted? Free is good but don't mind if there's decent paying alternatives.

No need for any fancy bells and whistles, just after non-laggy audio chat.

Comments

• mumble?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

have you tried the Jitsi.org, I know it's more video conferencing, but the project is great and supported by multiple platforms.

• I have no clue why you want this, if you can use the low latency Cleanfeed website for free. I have very good experiences with it.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited December 2019

Unless there are specific reasons for self-hosted audio chat, there are options aplenty in the saas space. There is the free (10 hours/ month) version of Zencastr as well if you are looking for a VOIP backed solution. We've used Zencastr extensively for our podcasts (paid version gives wav output with basic audio enhancements) Cleanfeed is awesome! Another option is appear. in (Now whereby. com) like jitsi, it is video conferencing, but works very well for audio as well. We used Uberconference yesterday for the first time (crystal clear btw- no lag). Many ppl recommend Zoom but I personally prefer a browser based tool and do not like the idea of installing an app on laptop/ phone just for task "x"

Thanked by 1fLoo
  • Try teamspeak or discord. Used teamspeak for couple of years, work well with very slow connections as you just need 7-10 Kbps.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited December 2019

Thank you for the suggestions all!

DennisdeWit said: I have no clue why you want this

Clearly cleanfeed is well regarded going by the comments here, it's just external services are subject to closing down / changing / price changes - and we have plenty servers to simply host it.

Thanked by 1pike
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited December 2019

Teamspeak is selfhosted. However you need a license to host more than 32 Slots on a single server instance. Mumble and Ventrilo are free alternatives.

• If you only need voice, then setup asterisk and have SIP users.

If you want video conf, then checkout bigbluebutton, riot(video based on jitsi), whatsapp video, google video etc.

• Sorry for bumping an old thread. Seems valid in this Covid19 time.

Try 3cx free setup in their cloud for free..

• Discord or

You know. Discord.

A good alternative would be discord.

Did I say discord?

• TejyTejy Member

Jitsi, or BigBlueButton