Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nagios to monitor 7 Servers, and alternatives to ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nagios to monitor 7 Servers, and alternatives to ?

Hello I manage 7 servers and i always used a basic tool to monitor cpu load, apache, mariadb, etc.... to give me an alert if something goes wrong. Looking for something, finally, more interesting like Nagios® Core and i'd like to understand if a basic vps with 1 or 2 dedicated cores (with a very very good uptime, no bandwidth limit) is ok for this work.

Do you have other suggestions for a tool for this job ? (p.s is not a problem if setup requires some work)

Comments

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

Monit + apprise. Have Monit perform passive monitoring + forwarding. For events beyond your control send to a centralized mail account and use apprise to deliver a suitable push notification. Don't desensitize yourself to the data, but focus on the anomalies.

Thanked by 1rudyme
  • You could use Nagios, Icinga, CheckMK / OMD etc.

I currently use Icinga, paired with a bot which sends me messages via Telegram if something goes wrong. You don't really need much ressources to get a reliable working setup with 7 client hosts.

Thanked by 1rudyme
  • We worked with https://bloonix-monitoring.org/. But have now switched to https://www.cloudradar.io/.

Both tools are highly recommended by us.

Thanked by 1rudyme
  • marvelmarvel Member
    edited December 2019

I'm using Nagios to monitor like 30 servers, works great.

Running it on a € 2,99 OVH sandbox VPS with very low specs.

What I like about Nagios are the many custom monitoring scripts you can download for it. I can't speak about the others, never used them.

Thanked by 1rudyme
  • ulayerulayer Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

Prometheus, AlertManager and Grafana with node_exporter put onto all servers. The modern way of doing things (also the best) :smile:

Just a snippet of what you can see, there's metrics for everything imaginable.

Thanked by 3rudyme t0m karjaj
  • Zabbix. It can be deployed on Raspberry PI.

Thanked by 1rudyme
  • @ulayer said:
    Prometheus, AlertManager and Grafana with node_exporter put onto all servers. The modern way of doing things (also the best) :smile:

I fully endorse this setup, I implemented it to replace Zabbix and while I absolutely loved Zabbix my infrastructure has never been this easy to monitor.

edited December 2019

@AtlantiaCloud_Alex said:

@ulayer said:

I fully endorse this setup, I implemented it to replace Zabbix and while I absolutely loved Zabbix my infrastructure has never been this easy to monitor.

Glad you like it. When we switched, life became a lot easier. We manage pretty much everything with Ansible so when we want a new Prometheus exporter on a server, I implement or create an Ansible role that installs, updates and manages the configuration for it on each server. To maintain it our monitoring we just have to add, remove or change a few variables in our playbook vars. I'm surprised people still use these old monitoring tools like Nagios, infrastructure as code is the way to go!

If anyone is interested in what our Ansible playbook looks like to do this, check it out! https://git.ulayer.net/snippets/52/raw

Thanked by 2vimalware hanoi
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

@ulayer said:

Any setup guides?
    Looks awesome

edited December 2019

@v3ng said:

@ulayer said:

Any setup guides?
    Looks awesome

We might make a blog post in the future, but it'll be about how to deploy this kind of setup with Ansible. :wink:

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

How does netdata compare to Prometheus+AlertManager+Grafana?

• havocxhavocx Member
    edited December 2019

ulayer said:

Prometheus, AlertManager and Grafana with node_exporter put onto all servers

Been hearing a lot about Prometheus and Grafana lately.

I'm keen to try a pure Python monitoring stack of some kind but haven't figured out what. Probably Graphite + something.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited December 2019

@v3ng said:
    How does netdata compare to Prometheus+AlertManager+Grafana?

Netdata is a local collection daemon AFAIK. It can sub in for node_exporter and export collected samples to prometheus.

Prometheus is primarily pull-oriented though by design.

AlertManager is a prom plugin IIRC

Grafana is a 3rd party graphing solution.

So The prometheus 'stack' is a giant pile of Legos; a.k.a Build your own monitoring DeathStar battle group.

• Endorse Prometheus and Grafana with bunch of exporters, we are heavy users of grafna, we have build many panels [in react] and data sources [node.js], also using many buildin data sources and panels comes with Grafana.