Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server with multiple network interfaces
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server with multiple network interfaces

Hi, it's me again :)
Anyone knows a provider where you can have multiple NICs on a server (at least two, more would be nice)? For packet.com I found one with two interfaces but the traffic is rather expensive ...

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

We can provide dual diverse NIC's.

Thanked by 1dedimark
  • AFAIK, you can ask Hetzner to add another NIC to certain servers, at least this was listed on their add-on page

• @Clouvider said:
    We can provide dual diverse NIC's.

What are dual diverse NIC's?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@toilettheft said:

What are dual diverse NIC's?

Diverse routing and cabling of the network ports over separate switches to different routers adding additional redundancy.

Thanked by 1pike
  • i can provide 4x with 4x different providers but depend of the config/budget. Also romania is ok?

Thanked by 2pike HostinganID
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

Most providers should be able to provide you with multiple network drops.

It really depends on if you need diverse connections to a second switch for redundancy or if you just want to blast more bandwidth.
    Do you need this over a 10Gbps or 20Gbps or just 1-2gbps?

• serveria_comserveria_com Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

Most dedis running on "real" server hardware should have at least 2 interfaces. Just inquire if they can add/connect it.

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

If you're looking for redundancy, I would suggest adding a second server, and confirming before hand that it would be on a different network & power segment. Just my 2 cents

• @cociu said:
    i can provide 4x with 4x different providers but depend of the config/budget. Also romania is ok?

Sounds interesting, can you share more info? Romania would be ok.

• toiletthefttoilettheft Member
    edited December 2019

Some add-on question:
    As @serveria_com mentioned many server motherboards have two NIC's.
    Does anyone know how these are connected under the hood? Yeah sure ... soldered to the motherboard. iirc they are some kind of PCI devices. I'm still looking (see my other thread) for some way to pass through a NIC selectively to a VM. So no bridging, NAT ... . SR-IOV would be most optimal and could work as long as the NIC does not share the iomu group with something important (like the other NIC) This depends a lot on the model of the motherboard, at least for the average desktop version. I think for server the situation is a bit better. Maybe someone here knows, or can easily check with some motherboards they have? I'm going to try this with some boards I have lying around.

Edit: Just checked a rather old intel desktop and one intel server motherboard. The server board could pass through the PCI device belonging to one of the NIC's without affecting other stuff. So chances are probably not that bad.

• toilettheft said: Sounds interesting, can you share more info? Romania would be ok.

for a real budget i can offer you this :smile:

1 link with 1ipv4 in UPC (liberty gloal)
    2 link with 1 ipv4 in GTS Telekom Romania
    3 link with 1 ipv4 in RCS-RDS
    4 link with 1 ipv4 in Telekom romania

The rest config can be discuted. If you are interesed pm with more details please , like traffic espected , what kind of server you want , etc etc.

• @cociu said:

toilettheft said: Sounds interesting, can you share more info? Romania would be ok.

for a real budget i can offer you this :smile:

Real budget = more then $7? My word!