Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted: Cheap very low-spec VPS in UK with IPV6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wanted: Cheap very low-spec VPS in UK with IPV6

NekkiNekki Veteran
edited November 2013 in Requests

I'm looking for an absolutely minimal IPV6 enabled (not IPV6 only though, I need an IPV4) VPS in the UK to use purely as a 'jump box' to allow me to connect to all my other VPS, including the IPV6 only ones.

Bandwidth, disk and ram can all be absolutely minimal, and I'm happy to pay yearly with reputable providers.

Comments

• How about lowendspirit.com ?

• @sc754 said:
    How about lowendspirit.com ?

I need the IPV6 enabled box to connect to Lowendspirit in the first place.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

What is wrong with simply getting yourself an IPv6 tunnel? http://tunnelbroker.net/

• @Nekki said:

If your ipv6 only are LES then you could just change the SSH port to one of your ipv4 ports to connect through ipv4

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @rm_ said:
    What is wrong with simply getting yourself an IPv6 tunnel? http://tunnelbroker.net/

It looked like too much aggro to set up for multiple locations.

• @sc754 said:

If your ipv6 only are LES then you could just change the SSH port to one of your ipv4 ports to connect through ipv4

I want to secure my VPS by only allowing SSH connections from the IP of the jump box.

• @Nekki said:
    I want to secure my VPS by only allowing SSH connections from the IP of the jump box.

Alternatively you could setup a vpn to give you a static ip at home

• @sc754 said:

Or use a key instead of using passwords

• @Jack has a 256MB KVM in Maidenhead for £2.2 a month, with IPv6.
    http://dotvps.co
    This is the cheapest I ever found in UK.

• @sc754 said:
    Alternatively you could setup a vpn to give you a static ip at home

I do appreciate the suggestions, but they're not viable. I use lots of different vpns from multiple machines as part of my daily routine, and I frequently change the VPN ip's too, meaning that it would be a lot of work up to keep all of my boxes updated with those IPs. What I'm asking for is the most straight-forward solution, IMO.

• You don't need to setup IPv6 tunnels to multiple locations, just once to your "jump box". he.net only gives 5 tunnels/person.

httpzoom.com has openvz 64MB of RAM for 8 pounds/year. I have one of their 128MB openvz boxes and it's extremely reliable. Their network is fast, disk I/O is sluggish, but I'm using it as a proxy server which works great.

I use a tunnelbroker IPv6 tunnel on it, which requires using "tb"
    http://code.google.com/p/tb-tun/ It was a pain to setup, but it only has to be done once.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

lowendspirit.com sounds like the perfect match, IPv4 (20 TCP+UDP ports on a shared external IP) and native IPv6 only €3.00 p/year.

• You could go with HTTPZoom. They provide IPv6 on request.

• @Jack DotVPS

• Can throw you a custom deal, your package, your price, our service

• "You could go with HTTPZoom. They provide IPv6 on request."

Do you know if they do rDNS for IPv6?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Lowendspirit.com cheapest and best you can get.

edited November 2013

AnthonySmith said: lowendspirit.com sounds like the perfect match, IPv4 (20 TCP+UDP ports on a shared external IP) and native IPv6 only €3.00 p/year.

MikHo said: Lowendspirit.com cheapest and best you can get.

I know reading is hard, but here you don't even need to read the whole thread, just messages #2 and #3

• nunimnunim Member
    edited November 2013

Nekki said: I need the IPV6 enabled box to connect to Lowendspirit in the first place

Why?

As Anthony said you get "20 TCP+UDP ports on a shared external IP", so you set one of those ports to be your SSH port. Then connect to LES over IPv4, then you can use LES as a 4to6 tunnel and connect to all your other VPSes or use it the regular IPv4 way, either way I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Honestly, I don't see much benefit to setting it up this way. I would probably just change the SSH port, disable Root login and use keys if I was really paranoid. If you were to set it up this way any of the following can happen:

Your "Jump" VPS is down = can't SSH into any of your vpses
    Your "Jump" VPS provider goes poof = can't SSH into any of your vpses
    Your "Jump" VPS provider does a move/changes your IP = can't SSH into any of your vpses
    If there's a network problem between you and the "Jump" box = can't SSH into any of your vpses
    edited November 2013

Honestly, I don't see much benefit to setting it up this way.

And I still don't see any benefit over simply getting IPv6 connectivity on all your boxes (which is 'the' most straightforward way to work with a LES VPS).

• @rm_ said:
    And I still don't see any benefit over simply getting IPv6 connectivity on all your boxes (which is 'the' most straightforward way to work with a LES VPS).

Yes, that would be the most straight forward and secure way to do something like this, but some people still buy VPSes without native v6. God knows why..