Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Samba SMB/CIFS Help Required
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Samba SMB/CIFS Help Required

Hi there

I am having issue installing samba becuase of the testparm

If I run testparm wtihout root it works

testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf

Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

With root it gives me error

sudo testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf

Unable to initialize messaging context!

My OS Details

Distributor ID: Parrot
Description: Parrot GNU/Linux 4.7
Release: 4.7
Codename: sid

Kernel

Linux parrot 5.2.0-2parrot1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.2.9-2parrot1 (2019-08-25) x86_64 GNU/Linux

My head is spinning

Any help is appreciated

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2019

Maybe this: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/543014/samba-tools-reporting-unable-to-initialize-messaging-context

Looks to be a bug with the current smbclient (4.10.10) and a fix has been included in the next release.

answered 11 hours ago

But their bugreport is saying that doesn't work without root.

In general, testparm is non-essential, it's basically just a syntax check for the config file. If it passes as non-root, just try restarting Samba itself and see if it works.

• @rm_ said:
    Maybe this: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/543014/samba-tools-reporting-unable-to-initialize-messaging-context

Looks to be a bug with the current smbclient (4.10.10) and a fix has been included in the next release.

answered 11 hours ago

But their bugreport is saying that doesn't work without root.

In general, testparm is non-essential, it's basically just a syntax check for the config file. If it passes as non-root, just try restarting Samba itself and see if it works.

Basically error occurs when installing samba

sudo apt-get install samba

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2019

noaman said: sudo apt-get install samba

Well, it shouldn't just plain fail on installing, presumably when you haven't even touched the config file in question. Unless it's some weird limited VM such as LXC or OVZ, but from the kernel name and version that doesn't seem to be the case.

noaman said: Distributor ID: Parrot

I suggest asking for advice from the distro developers on their forum or bug tracker.

• @rm_ said:

noaman said: sudo apt-get install samba

Well, it shouldn't just plain fail on installing, presumably when you haven't even touched the config file in question. Unless it's some weird limited VM such as LXC or OVZ, but from the kernel name and version that doesn't seem to be the case.

noaman said: Distributor ID: Parrot

I suggest asking for advice from the distro developers on their forum or bug tracker.

Its my office PC...

wanted to test new linux distros and ended up installing parrot os.

That was my biggest mistake

I was better of with ubuntu which I have more experience on it

Even though parrot os is also based on debian