Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best ISPConfig theme exactly like cpanel x3 theme for users and WHM layout for admin?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best ISPConfig theme exactly like cpanel x3 theme for users and WHM layout for admin?

Since cPanel just killed itself, as we all know, it's time to leave, finally. I have a dedicated server with nothing on it for testing the panels before pushing it to production.

DirectAdmin seems to be the closest replacement, but it's the same price as cpanel was before October 2019 ($30/mo), which is way too high. At least the people getting the money won't be the dicks at cpanel, but if I'm going to switch panels like I've wanted to for years, I'm not going to pay the same price as cpanel. Paying over a thousand dollars every few years on just the server panel, indefinitely, is not acceptable. I only paid it while I waited for the open source to improve to usability. Webmin is just too poor of a user interface for my usage.

Out of the open source panels, ISPConfig seems to be the best from what I've found. There are many others, but CentOS Web Panel (CWP) is closed-source and partially ioncube encrypted, meaning it's impossible to theme parts of it. The other panels seem to have less support but some other panels also look promising.

For now, I'd like to try ISPConfig, but without a cpanel-like theme, I can't use it as-is. I can write html and css, but don't have the time to make one from scratch, so I'm hoping one exists or there is one very similar that I can finish theming the css or icons to my liking.

I need to have a layout for the admin which looks nearly exactly like WHM, and a user theme that looks nearly exactly like cpanel's x3 theme (now called "classic"). NOT the atrocious "paper lantern" theme which is what started me in my quest to leave cpanel for good.

What's the best ISPConfig theme that is the same or close to the cpanel x3 theme and whm theme?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@lnx1002 said:
    For now, I'd like to try ISPConfig, but without a cpanel-like theme, I can't use it as-is.

Why not?

• @lnx1002 said:
    Since cPanel just killed itself, as we all know, it's time to leave, finally. I have a dedicated server with nothing on it for testing the panels before pushing it to production.

DirectAdmin seems to be the closest replacement, but it's the same price as cpanel was before October 2019 ($30/mo), which is way too high. At least the people getting the money won't be the dicks at cpanel, but if I'm going to switch panels like I've wanted to for years, I'm not going to pay the same price as cpanel. Paying over a thousand dollars every few years on just the server panel, indefinitely, is not acceptable. I only paid it while I waited for the open source to improve to usability. Webmin is just too poor of a user interface for my usage.

Out of the open source panels, ISPConfig seems to be the best from what I've found. There are many others, but CentOS Web Panel (CWP) is closed-source and partially ioncube encrypted, meaning it's impossible to theme parts of it. The other panels seem to have less support but some other panels also look promising.

For now, I'd like to try ISPConfig, but without a cpanel-like theme, I can't use it as-is. I can write html and css, but don't have the time to make one from scratch, so I'm hoping one exists or there is one very similar that I can finish theming the css or icons to my liking.

I need to have a layout for the admin which looks nearly exactly like WHM, and a user theme that looks nearly exactly like cpanel's x3 theme (now called "classic"). NOT the atrocious "paper lantern" theme which is what started me in my quest to leave cpanel for good.

What's the best ISPConfig theme that is the same or close to the cpanel x3 theme and whm theme?

Why not simply go with a vps provider who offers DA license for free or nominal cost?

• lnx1002lnx1002 Member
    edited December 2019

@deank said:

@lnx1002 said:
    For now, I'd like to try ISPConfig, but without a cpanel-like theme, I can't use it as-is.

Why not?

1. Because I want to see something resembling what they're used to and x3 was the best thing to ever exist in the hosting industry. It is simply the best layout for admins and users.
    2. Because clients need to see something resembling what they're used to.
    3. Because reasons.
  • @seriesn said:

@lnx1002 said:

Why not simply go with a vps provider who offers DA license for free or nominal cost?

Because I am my own host with dedicated servers. I require full 100% control (and security) and not to be dependent on any third party.

• @lnx1002 said:

What's your best budget to hire someone willing to skin ISPConfig to an outdated theme?

edited December 2019

There is none as far as I know.
    Personally, I quite like the default theme as is.

• lnx1002lnx1002 Member
    edited December 2019

@FlamesRunner said:

@lnx1002 said:

What's your best budget to hire someone willing to skin ISPConfig to beautiful x3 theme?

I didn't think about that. If no existing theme is available for me to modify to my liking then I am open to paying for it if for sure ISPConfig is the way to go. It's worth it to have an open source panel so I'm willing to pay some money. But, before paying money I'd have to be sure about the panel, it changes the game a little if you're talking about investing money into development.

• @lnx1002 said:

@seriesn said:

@lnx1002 said:

Because I am my own host with dedicated servers. I require full 100% control (and security) and not to be dependent on any third party.

Fair. So the question would be, are you planning to resell service? If no, go with webuzo or yunohost. you won't regret anything.

• lnx1002lnx1002 Member
    edited December 2019

@seriesn said:

@lnx1002 said:

@seriesn said:

@lnx1002 said:

Fair. So the question would be, are you planning to resell service? If no, go with webuzo or yunohost. you won't regret anything.

I do have clients, but even for my own usage I require a usable theme like x3 and whm. I manage many websites of my own as well. I simply prefer x3 type layout. I got CentOS Web Panel to look good, very similar layout to x3, but then found ioncube encryption on the admin panel and login pages. That is a deal-breaker. Admin page is ok because I can modify it locally using local chrome extensions that modify javascript and css and I wrote a bunch of code for it to look good, but I can't push it permanent on the server-side, and the login pages are public-facing and without ability to modify that on the server-side, it's a no-go.

Thus my continued quest.

I'd say "require" is an awkward verb to use in this case.

Adaptation is human's greatest weapon.

Thanked by 2seriesn webcraft
  • lnx1002lnx1002 Member
    edited December 2019

@deank said:

Incorrect. "Adapting" from guns and missiles to bows and arrows is a pointless endeavor. Adaptation is not always beneficial. Thus, I "require" a usable theme.

I'm not here to debate whether or not I want it. I require it, and my request was which theme is the same or closest, and if one doesn't exist, then I have to theme one myself or hire someone.

I have a right to want what I want. "Just accept it" is what losers say who can't be bothered to innovate. It's like when I go into Home Depot and ask if they have this thing that I want and the rep says, nope definitely don't have it, and then I look for myself and find the thing that "doesn't exist". There is always a way to have what you want, anyone who says it can't be done is wrong, and if it doesn't exist, you make it.

Adapting is not human's greatest weapon. Innovation is.

Thanked by 1fragpic
  • @lnx1002 said:

@deank said:

Wrong. "Adapting" from guns and missiles to bows and arrows is a pointless endeavor. Adaptation is not always beneficial. Thus, I "require" a usable theme.

I'm not here to debate whether or not I want it. I require it, and my request was which theme is the same or closest, and if one doesn't exist, then I have to theme one myself or hire someone.

I have a right to want what I want. "Just accept it" is what losers say who can't be bothered to innovate. It's like when I go into Home Depot and ask if they have this thing that I want and they rep says nope definitely don't have it and then I look for myself and find the thing that "doesn't exist" and say, looks you do have it after all. There is always a way to have what you want, and if it doesn't exist, you make it.

Welcome to LET. You will have fun.

Your best would be to hire someone boss and I am pretty sure, as long as no copyright issue, you would be able to sell that theme too :).

Yeah, he won't go far.

• lnx1002lnx1002 Member
    edited December 2019

@seriesn said:

@lnx1002 said:

@deank said:

Wrong. "Adapting" from guns and missiles to bows and arrows is a pointless endeavor. Adaptation is not always beneficial. Thus, I "require" a usable theme.

I have a right to want what I want. "Just accept it" is what losers say who can't be bothered to innovate. It's like when I go into Home Depot and ask if they have this thing that I want and they rep says nope definitely don't have it and then I look for myself and find the thing that "doesn't exist" and say, looks you do have it after all. There is always a way to have what you want, and if it doesn't exist, you make it.

Welcome to LET. You will have fun.

Your best would be to hire someone boss and I am pretty sure, as long as no copyright issue, you would be able to sell that theme too :).

Let's see what themes exist before I go reinventing the wheel.

Please tell me about the best themes for ISPConfig.

• What themes are for ISPConfig?

• edited March 2021

@lnx1002 said:
    What themes are for ISPConfig?

I found a few themes but none that look like "cPanel x3 Classic" as you're searching for:

1) Transparency Theme - Grey/white with blue buttons:
    https://www.wkwebbuilder.com/ispconfig/ispconfig_transparency_theme.rar

2) Pinky Theme - purple background with pink buttons:
    https://www.wkwebbuilder.com/ispconfig/pinky.rar

3) Yellow Submarine - Shades of yellow:
    https://www.wkwebbuilder.com/ispconfig/yellow_submarine.rar

Full List: https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/an-ispconfig-themes-to-share.82123/

• cazrzcazrz Member

Have you tried Directadmin? I think they have reasonable price for dedicated servers. You can compare the cost of developing/customizing/maintaining ISPconfig theme VS DA License ($29/mo).

• @cazrz said:
    Have you tried Directadmin? I think they have reasonable price for dedicated servers. You can compare the cost of developing/customizing/maintaining ISPconfig theme VS DA License ($29/mo).

Good point Cazrz, unless you choose a pre-made free ispconfig theme like:
    https://github.com/bluevisiontec/ispconfig-theme-adminlte