Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would there be any interest in hosted Raspberry Pi 4's in Bulgaria? Price range?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would there be any interest in hosted Raspberry Pi 4's in Bulgaria? Price range?

I currently own a small IT consulting firm in Bulgaria, and we have owned office space with good (multi gigabit) connectivity. Our ISP has allocated a /22 which we used to use for provisioning, hosting and testing servers for corporations in Bulgaria, but have since moved this to a proper datacenter.

We could always start renting out dedicated servers, but this is just an owned office space and NOT a datacenter for production use...

Would anyone be interested in renting Pi 4's with 2GB RAM, and say an extra $10 one time fee to upgrade to 4GB? Storage would be an 8GB SD card, and RAID10 network storage. Connectivity would either be 30TB on 1Gbps or unmetered 100mbit. The building has generator backup.

Additional addons could include a 1TB UB3 disk, where you either buy the disk outright and own it, or pay monthly?

Please let me know your thoughts on this and if you would be interested in it, and how much you would be willing to pay. I was thinking around the $20 a month mark, to cover IP and bandwidth costs.

P.S. A benefit that some might find useful is the lack of DMCA/copyright enforcement in Bulgaria, the 7th most popular website here is a torrent tracker...

Thanked by 1alilet

Comments

• $3-5/m is about the limit

Thanked by 1Creativity
  • @hzr said:
    $3-5/m is about the limit

Yeah that's around the existing pricing for pi 3 hosting I've found, however they are using NAT IPv4.

A few other providers do Pi co-location for $9 a month (space isn't an issue for us) or you buy the Pi outright on the order page for around $70 plus colocation costs - which isn't exactly low end...

Connectivity, bandwidth, IP's and physical space are all decently priced in Bulgaria outside of Sofia, but production grade they are not. Around every 3 months our ISP has a few minutes downtime and power brownouts are common (we have generator & UPS) - so this would be a strictly for fun project.

• Creativity said: so this would be a strictly for fun project

Yeah, to me, this throws $20/m out the door even further, since you can easily get <$7 rpi in "proper DC"

• Aren’t you a bit worried that your office could suddenly be seized one day because of CP?

• Creativity said: $20 a month mark

I can get a decent x86 dedicated machine with $20.
    It is just not worth it.
    May be when rpi 5 is faster than an old x86 dedicated machine. And you can price it to less than $10.

• @Creativity said:
    I currently own a small IT consulting firm in Bulgaria, and we have owned office space with good (multi gigabit) connectivity. Our ISP has allocated a /22 which we used to use for provisioning, hosting and testing servers for corporations in Bulgaria, but have since moved this to a proper datacenter.

We could always start renting out dedicated servers, but this is just an owned office space and NOT a datacenter for production use...

Would anyone be interested in renting Pi 4's with 2GB RAM, and say an extra $10 one time fee to upgrade to 4GB? Storage would be an 8GB SD card, and RAID10 network storage. Connectivity would either be 30TB on 1Gbps or unmetered 100mbit. The building has generator backup.

Additional addons could include a 1TB UB3 disk, where you either buy the disk outright and own it, or pay monthly?

Please let me know your thoughts on this and if you would be interested in it, and how much you would be willing to pay. I was thinking around the $20 a month mark, to cover IP and bandwidth costs.

P.S. A benefit that some might find useful is the lack of DMCA/copyright enforcement in Bulgaria, the 7th most popular website here is a torrent tracker...

Is not going To work - expensive price/ no datacenter/etc for DMCA we have @cociu with a proper DC.

Thanked by 1Creativity
  • CreativityCreativity Member
    edited December 2019

Thanks for all the feedback, maybe not the best side project then!

Still wondering what to do with basically free power (solar array), decent connectivity (AS41313) and lots of rented IP space....

• Creativity said: Still wondering what to do with basically free power (solar array), decent connectivity (AS41313) and lots of rented IP space....

If you don't have industry experience, it would be hard.
    Buy some used X86 VPS hardware, router, etc. Start small, and test the water.

Thanked by 1Creativity