Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oak Tower, Kansas - Outage - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oak Tower, Kansas - Outage

2»

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

Submit a ticket, thats all I can say at the moment... Not sure you will get any good answer from their first-line support, i dont have any good things to say about 1st line, but onces escaleted things get better.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

okay i have submitted a ticket. so far their support has been okay for me. i am with them for the 2nd year. so let me wait. 15hrs continuous downtime as of now ;)

This is my second year with my current vps with them.. my previous was deleted when virpus was hacked and lost ALOT of nodes... That one I had for 2-3 years i think, used it for shared hosting.... Lost a few good clients because that incident...

• yes, i almost had it today. the dns was in a cluster so the mails were coming to backup servers. i had a backup made prior to the warning, so i suppose not much is lost.

• Okay got a reply saying.. there is an issue with my node and DC is working on it. 921 minutes and counting...

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

@DotVPS said: Ouch!

1021 minutes ;) I have asked to re-provision me in a stable node and the answer i got is as short as "In Progress". and that was change in the status of the ticket.. Emmm...

Thats probably the same reason why I always ask for an escalation of the ticket.

If the host advertise 24/7 support I would like a better answer then 'we will look into that' and nothing happens for another 12 hours until the "tech who does everything" comes back from his nightshift.

I suspect the owner would find it nice to be able to go for a vacation,knowing that things would be taken care of while away.
    It doesnt have to be 10 guys/girls that have acces, it only takes one... But it doesnt have to be the same person 24/7.

Hope I make some sense :)

ell, i'm sure there are different levels even in hell.

It only takes one bad person with access to make something bad. I would really love (read accept) if the support for once said "this is above my head, i'll escelate to the correct person. It will be delt with in X hours/minutes"
    Most of the times you get the default answer "we are looking into this" but nothing happens for hours without any updates at all... And if you request an update by replying to the ticket, it get pushed to the end of the queue.

• 1421 minutes and counting ;(
    Just escalated the ticket...
    what is to be offered as SLA for 24hrs downtime?

provides up to 50% monthly recurring revenue credit to a customer if service is unavailable. For every hour of downtime, will grant a one day credit based off the monthly recurring cost, minus any control panel addons. Applies to the base service only.
    NOTE: Any service outage will need to be reported within 48 hours after restoration. After  48 hours, you will not be warranted a credit.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

coming back to the sad story again.. still down.. 1961 minutes downtime ;)

@peppr no update on your ticket either?

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

@MikHo Quite sad on that part, for any questions i ask, WHMCS updates the ticket and changes status to "Customer reply" Now comes the Virpus Support Staff in 5 to 10 min and changes the status to "Answered" and thatz it. Incredible customer service with 99.9% SLA. I am seeing them all in one day ;)) I dunno if that is only me or everyone on their so called ovzmebo node ;)) I escalated as per their terms and that is another magic stone which didn't create any ripples

34hrs of downtime ;))

Tech Support : Now every one close your eyes, just like ourselves who doesn't like downtime either!!!.  Only open when we ask you to do so. Ahh no.. FSCK pending.. Close your ears too so that you dont hear your clients, just like we do ;))

@peppr : Same things happens to me aswell the few times I actually send in a ticket.
    Try to get a message to Kenneth directly, I once pm:ed him on WHT to get things sorted. Hopefully it will come online sometime soon... since it it monday and people who actually can do something are getting back to work.

@DotVPS : This is what happens when only 1 or 2 people are able to access the nodes for repairs. Frustration!

• Why are you sending Kenneth private messages?

Virpus has been keeping their Facebook page updated, so you're going to start sending him messages probably like thousands of his other customers. Is this truly the end of the world for you?

They will update when they know something and life will be good for you again. It was terrible for a period of time but everything will be fine.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

@pdqso said: Virpus has been keeping their Facebook page updated

The DC is now back on utility. All nodes are fine from this switch, however we're still working on the remaining fsck's.

this was when the power was back 27hrs ago and this is how to keep updated?

• after 41hrs of downtime, the node was up for 21 minutes and again painting red ;( ok atleast someone is working on it for real ;)

@pdqso because i was having an error with the vps back then and their so called support did nothing about it. I also tried escalating 3 times during that time. Since Kenneth is the owner I decided to report to him how the supportdepartment was handling this case.

I did not post a public thread since that doesnt really help the situation.
    Without calling names or threating but instead giving facts about the situation, it was delt with and the issue was fixed. To bad the whole vps was deleted 2 weeks later.

And in some way thay was when I decided to give up my shared hosting business.
    Those two incidents cost me almost 75% of my clientbase.
    So, yes.. downtime costs money and could be crucial for a single person business.

I have a few customers left but when they are gone, so is my business.... I might use the name for some other things.

• Well you may lose some customers, but you have gained experience: you have learned the value of backups.

@pdqso said: Well you may lose some customers, but you have gained experience: you have learned the value of backups.

The experience I "gained" from that is choose supplier carefully and that people with websites (even vps) are not going to be around for ever.. They are quick to move on to another provider if "the shoe doesn't fit"

I also had all the backups I needed for "my part of the business", all users were recreated at another server, Nameservers got the new IPs etc.. within a few hours from when I got notified that my vps was no longer available.

But all that is history ... I've moved on to other things

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

just to update the thread, the vps is finally back and running for past 2 hrs. 43hrs downtime.. oops.. Even though i had backups and was able to move all sites to a different vps, the damage is done. 2 rollbacks as of now. ;(

I feel your pain @peppr

Thanked by 1upfreak