Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quantum Core - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quantum Core

Comments

• QuantumCoreQuantumCore Member, Host Rep

Depends on the node, we have a blend of Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6128 CPU @ 3.40GHz and Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6136 CPU @ 3.00GHz

• @QuantumCore said:
    Depends on the node, we have a blend of Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6128 CPU @ 3.40GHz and Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6136 CPU @ 3.00GHz

So a blend of high quality potassium with pure water = exothermic deal.

I can't believe you're not shouting this from the rooftops lol, a Gold in Australia for $5 AUD per month. I need to change my pants..

• @QuantumCore 😳are you guys trading from Canberra ? Saw the address while paying invoice

poisson said: 2690 v2

@s4suke7 said:
    @QuantumCore 😳are you guys trading from Canberra ? Saw the address while paying invoice

Yes, we are located in Canberra :smile:

• @dahartigan said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

dahartigan said: You can prepay for 6 months as soon as you get your credits

That's genius! Where do you find that option?

When you order the service you want, change the cycle in the cart to 6 months and add it. Checkout and pay with the store credit :-)

Edit: You still gotta cough up $5 initially to get the $50 credit, but since it expires in 60 days you just gotta choose the longest billing period you can afford.

Sorry I didn't understand. You mean if I deposit $5, then order a new service with 6 months duration, then it means I can use those $50 free credits for 6 months instead of just 2?

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @alilet said:

@dahartigan said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

dahartigan said: You can prepay for 6 months as soon as you get your credits

That's genius! Where do you find that option?

When you order the service you want, change the cycle in the cart to 6 months and add it. Checkout and pay with the store credit :-)

Edit: You still gotta cough up $5 initially to get the $50 credit, but since it expires in 60 days you just gotta choose the longest billing period you can afford.

Sorry I didn't understand. You mean if I deposit $5, then order a new service with 6 months duration, then it means I can use those $50 free credits for 6 months instead of just 2?

Correct. You can opt for 6 month billing period.

Or if we use the lowest plan at 5 AUD per month, you top up 10 get 50 total 60 you go for annual billing for this lowest plan you can have the VPS for a year.

Thanked by 2alilet dahartigan

Not many spots left :-) Get it while it's still available.

• I'm kinda lost for words, which is unusual for me lol.. My mind is still trying to comprehend the awesomeness of this deal, especially since it's been revealed we're dealing with Xeon Gold processors here.

This is me since I found out:

Honestly, anyone with a spare $5 should get this before it's gone and regret kicks your ass very hard, misses, and gets your nuts instead. It's like that.

• I've just signed up with them and couldn't agree more with @dahartigan - my initial impressions are awesome.

Thanks @QuantumCore - now that there's a bunch of us from here, we hope you'll be more active and perhaps have a few promotions every now and then for us.

I hope I can find a way to keep this over a longer term... (that credit promotion just made this probably the best value-for-price VPS this entire BF+CM).

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I opened this thread hoping to find a quantum computer to decrypt bitcoins. This isn't one.

• Damn! Means my node will get congested - I enjoyed the peaceful start, for months. :-p

• I really don't need another idling server even though this is a super deal. It's super value for money!

• @AlwaysSkint said: Means my node will get congested

Idlers are a peaceful tribe. They do not congest or otherwise reduce the value on node. In fact they are good for the community as they occupy slots that otherwise could have gone to abusers. 'tis the season to be thankful (to idlers, may their tribe increase, who also pay the bills!), for without them the world would be a hard place full of violent competition for resources.

• Got one!

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • poisson said: I really don't need another idling server

You know you want to. ;)

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @poisson said:
    I really don't need another idling server even though this is a super deal. It's super value for money!

Nobody needs idle servers, we just collect them like stamps or bottle caps lol

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Damn! Means my node will get congested - I enjoyed the peaceful start, for months. :-p

I actually have faith this won't happen, there are multiple of these beasts from what I understand (they said there's a mix of different golds, so at least 2) lol I haven't "felt" any new signups..

@Turboooo said:
    Got one!

Welcome to the quantum club lol :-)

@yoursunny said:
    I opened this thread hoping to find a quantum computer to decrypt bitcoins. This isn't one.

Good luck with your search :-)

• Noice.

• @dahartigan said:

@poisson said:
    I really don't need another idling server even though this is a super deal. It's super value for money!

Nobody needs idle servers, we just collect them like stamps or bottle caps lol

I was thinking more like wine or cigar collection.... But we are on LET. Stamps or bottle caps will do just fine. :smiley:

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2019

I've been using Quantum Core since April, for hosting a few sites that are primarily used by Australians. Honestly they're one of the best providers I use, on par with other well established providers like BuyVM. Highly recommended!

trewq said: I've noticed with NVMe some of the dd tests yeild wildly different results.

dd is not a good benchmark, please don't use it for benchmarking. It's not at all indicative of real world performance as it only tests sequential writes (which are very rarely performed, random writes are more common) and can be affected by caching on the host node. It's much better to use fio. Binary Lane have some great docs on this: https://support.binarylane.com.au/support/solutions/articles/1000055889-how-to-benchmark-disk-i-o

• Also, their support will enable host passthrough if you ask in a ticket, which lets you see the real CPU rather than "QEMU Virtual CPU" and improves performance in some use cases (as the real CPU flags will be visible to the system, so things like AES will be much faster)

• @Daniel15 said:
    Also, their support will enable host passthrough if you ask in a ticket, which lets you see the real CPU rather than "QEMU Virtual CPU" and improves performance in some use cases (as the real CPU flags will be visible to the system, so things like AES will be much faster)

I'm going to try that, but honestly, it feels fast enough even without the flags passed in my opinion.

• dahartigan said: I'm going to try that, but honestly, it feels fast enough even without the flags passed in my opinion.

I do daily backups using Borgbackup, and the extra CPU flags help speed up the encryption, which means the backups aren't using as much CPU power and compete more quickly :)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Daniel15 said:

trewq said: I've noticed with NVMe some of the dd tests yeild wildly different results.

dd is not a good benchmark, please don't use it for benchmarking. It's not at all indicative of real world performance as it only tests sequential writes (which are very rarely performed, random writes are more common) and can be affected by caching on the host node. It's much better to use fio. Binary Lane have some great docs on this: https://support.binarylane.com.au/support/solutions/articles/1000055889-how-to-benchmark-disk-i-o

We'll aware but it's results can't just be ignored as it's what the majority of people use.

• @trewq said:

@Daniel15 said:

We'll aware but it's results can't just be ignored as it's what the majority of people use.

Because most people don't know better. I think I will roll fio instead of dd for future benchmarking. Honestly, sequential writing is almost never the bottleneck for most use cases. It is like benchmarking RAM speed.

• people use it to get big numbers, not to actually test the appliance, most of them have no idea how sequential reads or random writes work

• trewq said: We'll aware but it's results can't just be ignored as it's what the majority of people use.

Sure, but people continuing to use it just perpetuates the myth that it's useful :)

I've seen providers where dd speeds are fine but actual real life performance is horrible, and fio results reflect that. Earlier in the year I had to switch one of my VPSes to another provider because their 'nvme' disk performance was so bad that it was actually affecting the performance of my app, but dd results were fine.

edited December 2019

@Daniel15 said:
    Also, their support will enable host passthrough if you ask in a ticket, which lets you see the real CPU rather than "QEMU Virtual CPU" and improves performance in some use cases (as the real CPU flags will be visible to the system, so things like AES will be much faster)

Host passthrough is now enabled by default for any future signups :)

If you're an existing customer you will need to open a ticket though.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited December 2019

Opening a ticket now!

Edit: done in 3mins.
    Results are beautiful.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15014696

• @QuantumCore Is it possible to upgrade CPU or RAM without upgrading to the next plan? If so, prices for an extra core and for an extra gig of RAM?

I want to find a sweet spot for using it as a remote desktop, 1 core and 1 gig works, but obviously more would work better.. just trying to work out how much more lol

@dahartigan said:
    @QuantumCore Is it possible to upgrade CPU or RAM without upgrading to the next plan? If so, prices for an extra core and for an extra gig of RAM?

I want to find a sweet spot for using it as a remote desktop, 1 core and 1 gig works, but obviously more would work better.. just trying to work out how much more lol

Hey mate,

Unfortunately we don't allow customizations of our plans at this time.

Cheers

Thanked by 1dahartigan