Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SYS: keep IP addresses ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SYS: keep IP addresses ?

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a BF server at soyoustart to replace my older server. The older server has some extra IP's (without monthly cost). Anyone knows whether I can keep the IP's (I intend to stay in the same location).

Thanks !

Comments

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@wlambrechts I believe you can, but I think you need to transfer them before you cancel the old server. I could be wrong as I've never used SYS before. Just OVH which could be the same. I used to move IP's around all the time like that.

Thanked by 1wlambrechts
  • Yes you can retain those extra IPs from your older server except for the main assigned IP address.

Thanked by 1wlambrechts
  • @bula said:
    Yes you can retain those extra IPs from your older server except for the main assigned IP address.

can confirm. been there, done that ;-)

you can reassign the additional IPs/subnets to another box, at least if the server is in the same account/branch/country. doesn't even cost anything.

Thanked by 1wlambrechts
  • Falzo said: at least if the server is in the same account/branch/country.

I am facing the same problem, as I would like to switch from an Dedi in Roubaix to an BF in Limburg.
    In the client-area, it seems to be possible to reassign them even to another datacenter. I havn't tried it yet and was a bit suspicious, so I phoned them:
    They will check, if it is possible right now, cause it was planed.
    I will update you about this.

Thanked by 1wlambrechts
  • @lorian said:

Falzo said: at least if the server is in the same account/branch/country.

I am facing the same problem, as I would like to switch from an Dedi in Roubaix to an BF in Limburg.
    In the client-area, it seems to be possible to reassign them even to another datacenter. I havn't tried it yet and was a bit suspicious, so I phoned them:
    They will check, if it is possible right now, cause it was planed.
    I will update you about this.

as far as I am aware for OVH it's still not possible to move IPs from e.g. france location to germany. I have a few 'parked' on a public cloud, waiting to be able to move them there. it still says something along the lines of 'continent change not possible' or so.

I guess SYS isn't any different - but as said, if you want to move addon IPs from a server in france to another server in france, that's gonna be no issue - regardles of their geolocation btw.

• bob1bob1 Member
    edited November 2019

You are supposed to be able to move the "failover" ip from server to server.

However when I tried to move failover ips that I bought 5 years ago, it doesn't work. Both servers were at OVH (not even SYS) Gravelines.

I tried contacting OVH support and they keep telling me I need to shutdown my server for 12+ hours so their senior technicians can inspect it when they have time...

So the only way you can tell if it will work is to try it out.

• FO IPs can be transfer between servers/vps as long as that is in same country.