Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers with good international peering
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers with good international peering

Hello,

I currently rent an online.net Dedibox which is by all means way oversized for what I do with it (hosting a wordpress of nginx/mariadb/php-fpm). The CPU basically never goes above 10% usage and same goes to the ram. The whole thing is so tiny it's always entirely in ram and the swap is never used.

Specs of said box:
Xeon 6C/12T
2x500 GB Soft RAID SSD
32 GB of RAM
300mbs "premium" bandwidth

Despite of this, website loads too slowly for my liking, indicating an issue with the peering from Online to my destination.

ALL providers proudly show their bandwidth, but none of them clearly state that hiting their box from Japan or Australia will net them a high latency, low bandwidth connection.

Which provider is in your opinion best for global peering? I'd be happy to trade these high specs for better network connectivity.

Comments

• OVH has a good network to Australia from Europe and US imo

• edited November 2019

Use BunnyCDN @BunnySpeed - that will make things A LOT faster. Works great with WordPress.
    And best of all - you don't need to change hosts :-)

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

This really depends on locations.
    East coast such as New York would give a pretty solid connection to Europe however not quite as good as being in Europe.
    LA, and Seattle can give some pretty decent connections to Australia and Asia however there is no best location from what we have seen before.

• @tonyvps said:
    Hello,

I currently rent an online.net Dedibox which is by all means way oversized for what I do with it (hosting a wordpress of nginx/mariadb/php-fpm). The CPU basically never goes above 10% usage and same goes to the ram. The whole thing is so tiny it's always entirely in ram and the swap is never used.

Specs of said box:
    Xeon 6C/12T
    2x500 GB Soft RAID SSD
    32 GB of RAM

Despite of this, website loads too slowly for my liking, indicating an issue with the peering from Online to my destination.

ALL providers proudly show their bandwidth, but none of them clearly state that hiting their box from Japan or Australia will net them a high latency, low bandwidth connection.

Which provider is in your opinion best for global peering? I'd be happy to trade these high specs for better network connectivity.

You sound like you need CDN + a good caching plugin. A good BF vps is more than sufficient for WordPress and much cheaper.

• @tonyvps said:
    Hello,

Specs of said box:
    Xeon 6C/12T
    2x500 GB Soft RAID SSD
    32 GB of RAM

Your best bet would be get multiple VM, setup poor man's cloud with Rsync and CloudNS/Cloudflare for DNS. Mirror and Replicate.

• @seriesn said:

@tonyvps said:
    Hello,

Specs of said box:
    Xeon 6C/12T
    2x500 GB Soft RAID SSD
    32 GB of RAM

Your best bet would be get multiple VM, setup poor man's cloud with Rsync and CloudNS/Cloudflare for DNS. Mirror and Replicate.

That said, @seriesn has good speeds to most places in his Germany location. I have gotten good speeds to most places except Australia (which is decent to me at around 2MB/s).

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • West Coast provider usually give better latency to Asia Pasic,

I think, all providers that use Equinix or Rackspace data center should have better latency to Asia Pasific

Thanked by 1DP
  • PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2019

If you are in AU and the server is in France, then whatever peering they have would not do that much for you. You can use Nginx's FastCGI cache or Varnish, or simply a plugin like WP fastest cache to avoid processing on every request, and then add a CDN to deal with latency. Proper caching will speed up your TTFB and the CDN will speed up the full page loading times. If you want to take it a step further, then contact the CDN, ask them to use their DNS, set the glue records on your domain properly to avoid the extra resolving steps, and then proxy the whole website, and avoid redirects (like non-www to www). It will then load as fast as the visitor's browser can render it.

• tonyvpstonyvps Member
    edited November 2019

Wow thanks I appreciate all the inputs!

I understand distributing the load across several local VMs but then how does that work with DNS? My domain will still respond to the same unique IP that is a single machine. Can we setup a DNS to respond with a set of IP that the browser will automatically select?

I'd rather not use a commercial provider (such as cloudflare) and roll out my own CDN if that's even possible.

@tonyvps said:

I understand distributing the load across several local VMs but then how does that work with DNS? My domain will still respond to the same unique IP that is a single machine. Can we setup a DNS to respond with a set of IP that the browser will automatically select?

You can do GeoIP and have it to resolve to a different IP depending on the edns data of the request.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • tonyvpstonyvps Member
    edited November 2019

Alright this guy answered all my questions it seems:

https://pasztor.at/blog/building-your-own-cdn

... And since my domain is managed by ovh I can add anycast DNS for 1 EUR/year. Fair enough.

• @PUSHR_Victor said:

@tonyvps said:

You can do GeoIP and have it to resolve to a different IP depending on the edns data of the request.

Is that compatible with cloudflare?

@Chievo said:

@PUSHR_Victor said:

@tonyvps said:

Very unlikely, but I have not checked Cloudflare recently.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@PUSHR_Victor said:
    If you are in AU and the server is in France, then whatever peering they have would not do that much for you.

+1 There is no getting around physical distance and the speed of light.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @PUSHR_Victor said:

@Chievo said:

@PUSHR_Victor said:

@tonyvps said:

Very unlikely, but I have not checked Cloudflare recently.

Thanks Victor

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I mean laws of physics are the limitation, naturally. If you’re however looking for a great network with many tier 1 carriers allowing for the best possible route in the particular location to be chosen then we can probably help.

Thanked by 2poisson seriesn
  • @Clouvider said:
    I mean laws of physics are the limitation, naturally. If you’re however looking for a great network with many tier 1 carriers allowing for the best possible route in the particular location to be chosen then we can probably help.

@tonyvps You should talk to @Clouvider to discuss how to optimize your budget so that you have better routing. He's one of the best in the business when it comes to this.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • For Asia, check out providers in/with

First-Colo Frankfurt
    Combahton
    LA (quadranet with Asia optimize or psychz)
    Hetzner FSN (not top but very decent)
    OVH UK maybe

Otherwise how about taking up a good VPS in vultr Tokyo

Take the looking Glass tour it helps

Thanked by 2poisson seriesn
  • If you actually want a provider with good "peering" (and not "good speed"), anything on the SG.GS network is pretty good even for international traffic.