Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happens when two types of disk are connected with LVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What happens when two types of disk are connected with LVM?

If I am running a system with say NVMe SSD and get additional block storage on regular SSD or HDD, will there be some reliability issues or will it just be general slowdown if more of the regular SSD/HDD is used?

I want to run OpenVZ or KVM on a VPS plans initial storage then extend the storage transparently of the VMs storage exceeds the plans basic storage.

Comments

• Basicly, it depend on which mode for LVM. But If you wanna use LVM on VPS rather than on a physical machine, you should not care about NVMe SSD or SATA SSD or HDD or MODE. All storeges you get from your provider are shared with other instance physically. Its performance more depends on "Share" condition. read more documentation about LVM

Thanked by 1k9banger
  • ulayerulayer Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2019

Not sure if I understand correctly, but it sounds like you want to extend your current LVM with another block device added to your VM?

Usually this isn't recommended, because if one of the block devices has issues it's like a hacky RAID 0. It could cause filesystem corruption if one of the block devices becomes unresponsive and starts generating I/O errors. If both of the block devices are coming from the exact same RAID array or original block device it should be fine. If both block devices are physically separate and not part of an array or part of a different array this could cause issues for you in the future, especially if it's a single SSD or HDD.

Thanked by 1k9banger
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@ulayer can you edit your signature, please. It's two lines only. You would have known that if you had read the rules.

• ulayerulayer Member, Host Rep

@Jord said:
    @ulayer can you edit your signature, please. It's two lines only. You would have known that if you had read the rules.

Edited. Not sure why you made a comment though, PM on stuff like this. It has nothing to do with the topic of discussion.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@ulayer said:

@Jord said:

Edited. Not sure why you made a comment though, PM on stuff like this. It has nothing to do with the topic of discussion.

So does everyone else, it's better me asking you nicely to change it, than people reporting you for it.