Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIPE has officially run out of IPv4 addresses
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RIPE has officially run out of IPv4 addresses

HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

https://www.ripe.net/publications/news/about-ripe-ncc-and-ripe/the-ripe-ncc-has-run-out-of-ipv4-addresses

Today, at 15:35 (UTC+1) on 25 November 2019, we made our final /22 IPv4 allocation from the last remaining addresses in our available pool. We have now run out of IPv4 addresses.

End is nigh.

Comments

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Ouch!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Like I always say, the end is nigh.

If you don't believe me, wait until you die.

• Call for Greater Progress on IPv6

That means you Verizon and ColoCrossing.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

We just need IPv4v2.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited November 2019

deank said: We just need IPv4v2.

We just need IPv4v2 NAT.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Time to hoard OVH "free" IP addresses.

• aliletalilet Member
    edited November 2019

ColoCrossing is going to introduce IPv6 anytime now.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I don't care a lot. Obvious reason: What happens if one preaches for years that IP4 are running out? Hoarding - or in other words, preaching the very soon end of IP4 addresses accelerates the process quite a bit.

But actually all that really has changed is who owns those "last" IPs. It's not Ripe anymore and there is exactly zero surprise in that.

I prefer to be scared by the "we'll all die within 10 years due to climate change!!!" fearmongering.

• RIP(E)

Thanked by 3pike webcraft maverickp
  • In fact so many companies already have lots of blocs they don't (really) use (or "use" to justify they have those but could avoid using with no trouble). IPv4 shortage isn't a problem. It will just make it harder (read: more expensive) for those late to the party and wanting to become big players in this industry.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Shot2 said:
    Time to hoard OVH "free" IP addresses.

OVH has a history or changing their policy retroactively towards IP space so that’s probably not a good investment at all/

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@datanoise said:
    In fact so many companies already have lots of blocs they don't (really) use (or "use" to justify they have those but could avoid using with no trouble). IPv4 shortage isn't a problem. It will just make it harder (read: more expensive) for those late to the party and wanting to become big players in this industry.

Fully expecting the prices in the market to rise significantly for v4.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep