Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Serverless as a Service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Serverless as a Service

yokowasisyokowasis Member
edited November 2019 in General

I am tired of managing a bunch of server for my Application. It's getting more confusing, especially when the traffic get high.

I am looking for a Serverless provider, where I don't need to give a shit about the server and just write the code. My current apps is written in php, but I can convert it into node.js.

Also I prefer relational database like mysql if possible.

Also, is it really cheaper to go serverless ?

Comments

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Serverless will always be more expensive since someone is managing these servers you're being hosted on. You can take a look at Heroku for node.js

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Well not exactly serverless but Platform as a Service (PaaS). Here are some alternatives:

• Heroku
    • Fortrabbit
    • Forge
    Thanked by 1uptime
  • @vfuse said:
    Serverless will always be more expensive since someone is managing these servers you're being hosted on. You can take a look at Heroku for node.js

Well, it's not entirely true.

AWS Lambda, Cloudflare Worker, and Google Cloud function all have free tier. You won't be charged a penny if it's below the tier.

• @ITLabs said:
    Well not exactly serverless but Platform as a Service (PaaS). Here are some alternatives:

• Heroku
    • Fortrabbit
    • Forge

well, for PaaS I got cloudjiffy. But I still need to manage the server to some extend. There are a lot of time when my server going down because the scaling took a lot of time (as long as 1 hour in some case), or when the vertical scale just won't kick in.

So maybe it's time to go for serverless.

• Serverless doesn't mean no servers at all.

You still need good provider to manage them behind the scene. If not properly managed, you will still face issue of scaling, HA and different factors. For that, all big names has their own pros/cons with decent price.

Unlikely to get someone from LET offering such service at this point of time where most offers here are unmanaged.

• angeliusangelius Member
    edited November 2019

Check this if you look for a serverless platform (based on AWS Lambda), more expensive but truly serverless with zero config needed:

https://cloudbackend.appdrag.com
    There is also a serverless cloud cms (served by AWS Cloudfront): https://appdrag.com/

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited November 2019

PaaS.
    Potatoe as a service.

I baked you a potatoe, you can look it as much as you need, $1 per look/second. If you want to smell it, i'll need the deed to your house, if you'd like to nibble a bit of it, i'll require the soul of your first born male.
    Don't spend too much money, like $5 on a whole 10kg sack of potatoes that you don't need, be my worry free slave and i promise i'll treat you as you deserve, like a bitch. I'm tough, but crooked and you are cheap, ignorant, irresponsible and gullable. That's why i'll milk the bones out of you and together, you'll help me monopolize the market, as usual.
    Remember, you are trendy, buzzwords and keewl, now down on your knees!

• @mrclown said:
    Serverless doesn't mean no servers at all.

You still need good provider to manage them behind the scene. If not properly managed, you will still face issue of scaling, HA and different factors. For that, all big names has their own pros/cons with decent price.

Unlikely to get someone from LET offering such service at this point of time where most offers here are unmanaged.

Yeah. I am not really expecting provider from let. I just want to know if there is an expert on LET on serverlessness.

Would love to get an advice. I don't mind going with the big names. I just need some direction.