Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlanta or Ashburn
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Atlanta or Ashburn

GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

Hello LET,

Atlanta or Ashburn
  1. What place could be more interesting for you to rent a server?44 votes
    1. Ashburn, VA
      61.36%
    2. Atlanta, GE
      38.64%

Comments

• Afghanistan

• I would prefer not to go with somewhere that doesn't exist like "Atlanta, GE"

• Ashburn is only a short distance from Vint Hill apparently, where OVH has their new DC, so might make sense for some use cases to use as a failover. Atlanta is much more interesting though. Besides a couple of big names, not many offers are available over there. The closest provider for lowend peeps is Dacentec in Lenoir, North Carolina, a bit over 200 miles away.

Tl;Dr: Atlanta.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @AC_Fan said:
    Ashburn is only a short distance from Vint Hill apparently, where OVH has their new DC, so might make sense for some use cases to use as a failover. Atlanta is much more interesting though. Besides a couple of big names, not many offers are available over there. The closest provider for lowend peeps is Dacentec in Lenoir, North Carolina, a bit over 200 miles away.

You are forgetting Ramnode who has a decent presence in Atlanta.

Would be interested to know which actually costs more, I would guess hosting in Ashburn, unless in Psychz, is going to be quite a bit more expensive for cab space and bandwidth than Atlanta is. While Psychz has a decent blend in Ashburn,VA, there are also several hosts here on LET that already offer server out of that locations and if history is any indication, the hosts I have used on Psychz have seen several different outages (network) in Ashburn recently and the quality there seems to vary.

So, in summary, if you are planning to host with someone other than Psychz and can get a good price on space and bandwidth in Ashburn, VA, that is probably a lot more premium and will also provide better latency to European users as it is a main peering point for USA <-> EU connectivity. Otherwise, if you can get a better network/dc in Atlanta, then it could also be appealing, just not as low latency to European users.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2AC_Fan uptime
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@TheLinuxBug said:

Well RamNode does only VPS, GTHost does only physical servers.

• TheLinuxBug said: peering point for USA <-> EU connectivity

Indeed. Ashburn can be a great location if you plan to have international traffic (mostly north & south america & EU).

• tgltgl Member
    edited November 2019

New York City (not Buffalo, Piscataway)

Thanked by 1PureVoltage
  • Florida, but it is not in options....

• GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

@jam
    we have servers in Miami.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

If you decide to go to Atlanta, talk to Chris at CyberWurx.

Thanked by 1GTHost
  • Voted for Atlanta, GA - not many providers (bare metal dedi) in this area

Thanked by 1GTHost
  • @TheLinuxBug said:

@AC_Fan said:
    Ashburn is only a short distance from Vint Hill apparently, where OVH has their new DC, so might make sense for some use cases to use as a failover. Atlanta is much more interesting though. Besides a couple of big names, not many offers are available over there. The closest provider for lowend peeps is Dacentec in Lenoir, North Carolina, a bit over 200 miles away.

Would be interested to know which actually costs more, I would guess hosting in Ashburn, unless in Psychz, is going to be quite a bit more expensive for cab space and bandwidth than Atlanta is. While Psychz has a decent blend in Ashburn,VA, there are also several hosts here on LET that already offer server out of that locations and if history is any indication, the hosts I have used on Psychz have seen several different outages (network) in Ashburn recently and the quality there seems to vary.

So, in summary, if you are planning to host with someone other than Psychz and can get a good price on space and bandwidth in Ashburn, VA, that is probably a lot more premium and will also provide better latency to European users as it is a main peering point for USA <-> EU connectivity. Otherwise, if you can get a better network/dc in Atlanta, then it could also be appealing, just not as low latency to European users.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanks, I knew I was forgetting somebody, didn't realise it was that big of a name. To be fair, if it's primarily network related, RamNode wouldn't be the best option. Pretty expensive, but quality of course.
    For good and cheap (in per Gbps pricing) network, DataPacket is the only good option I know of in Atlanta, while Ashburn has Psychz and OVH a quick hop away.

• Yeah so Ashburn

• Atlanta, there are few providers.

• Ashburn final offer

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Personally my prefererred East coast locations are New York City (actual) and Miami. Ashburn is sorta in the middle which works if you can't do both.

As far as locations for servers go the best choice is usually the location closest to your users / demographic. From a providers standpoint I would be researching the market (competitors, demand, operational cost, expected return)

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @GTHost go for unique locations like (UAE, KSA, Indonesia)
    these are profitable nowadays many customers are looking for a asian servers so i will suggest u to go for them

@jokymic
    We will go next year to Europe and Asia as well.

• jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep

We are in Atlanta as of about a month ago. Some great connectivity in ATL.

• Atlanta is a much of an untapped area, as others mentioned not much offerings there. Would love to have something reliable yet less expensive there. A few dedis in sub 30-40 range would be good.

• anywhere as long as 1gbit

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

qps said: If you decide to go to Atlanta, talk to Chris at CyberWurx.

+1

Thanked by 1PureVoltage
    edited November 2019

We did it already, thanks.