Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which VPN to choose? Ivacy and KeepSolid both now lifetime 39$
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which VPN to choose? Ivacy and KeepSolid both now lifetime 39$

I know there are some threads about VPN (thus I know about Ivacy VPN) but I think its still worth to ask again since I could not find much review out there for Ivacy. The VPN should have good connection (from EU) to Asia.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I'll sell you my Ivacy lifetime for $30 :joy:

• I bought a vpn from purevpn which is 59 usd per two years.
    but the speed is not that good.

• @thedp I suppose you will say it is good, but how did Ivacy work for you?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2019

Check my signature. Both are fine. Also I have compared the two a bit here: https://hostballs.com/t/singles-day-bf-vpn-deals-mega-thread/3349

If you decide to go for Ivacy you could also get FastestVPN instead for 12$ lifetime since they are most likely reselling Ivacy who are reselling PureVPN :)

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • @Ympker said:
    Check my signature. Both are fine. Also I have compared the two a bit here: https://hostballs.com/t/singles-day-bf-vpn-deals-mega-thread/3349

If you decide to go for Ivacy you could also get FastestVPN instead for 12$ lifetime since they are most likely reselling Ivacy who are reselling PureVPN :)

That sounds like some pyramid scam lol

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2019

@poisson said:

@Ympker said:

That sounds like some pyramid scam lol

It probably is, but it works^^ Can't complain about performance. That's why I wouldn't pay purevpn subscription, as Ivacy has the same servers basically and adapts the features a bit retrospectively. The last one to get "new" features is FastestVPN but since they also have flix Support now, they are probably as good for me as Ivacy.

@kmmm said:
    @thedp I suppose you will say it is good, but how did Ivacy work for you?

Well it works for whatever it was made for that's for sure and I personally didn't have any issues with it.

Only reason why I would sell it is because I barely use it - only when I'm traveling out of the country.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I would never buy a "Lifetime" VPN, you never know how long they will be around. You also get what you pay for as far as actual privacy goes.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Trav said:
    I would never buy a "Lifetime" VPN, you never know how long they will be around. You also get what you pay for as far as actual privacy goes.

How much would a good VPN cost annually in your opinion?

Thanked by 1BlaZe

@Trav said:
    I would never buy a "Lifetime" VPN, you never know how long they will be around. You also get what you pay for as far as actual privacy goes.

Guess it should then be "Company's Lifetime" license :joy:

• @Trav said:

To quote myself:

Lifetime is a bet on whether that company will be around long enough for you to make the deal worth it. Nobody expects to get service for one’s actual lifetime. All the VPN companies I have mentioned have been around since many years and all of them I have been using for a couple of years. Now, looking at the price and what you get for it, it’ll even be a good deal if they closed shop after a year, since, like I pointed out earlier, the more expensive VPN are not significantly better

• sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited November 2019

@Ympker said:

Unless the main intention is streaming. For weird reasons, FastestVPN works on few streaming services only. Ivacy works on all major services (excluding outages and errors).

Anyway, I would go for Ivacy for streaming but somewhere else entirely for privacy. Nowhere for anonymity ;-)

Thanked by 2Ympker kmmm
  • I think one of the best decisions I have made ever is the Windscribe lifetime when it was available. The features now are amazing compared to when I got it.

I don't need to deploy Pi-Hole because Windscribe offers something similar called R.O.B.E.R.T (which blocks a lot of other things too). They have a native Linux client and they will be introducing split tunneling soon. Of course, there are concerns about anonymity and stuff but well, rolling your own VPS also has its risks. I only need to be practically anonymous because I am not Snowden.

Thanked by 2Ympker kmmm
  • @sgheghele said:

@Ympker said:

Unless the main intention is streaming. For weird reasons, FastestVPN works on few streaming services only. Ivacy works on all major services (excluding outages and errors).

Anyway, I would go for Ivacy for streaming but somewhere else entirely for privacy. Nowhere for anonymity ;-)

Agree. Ivacy still works more consistently with streaming than FastestVPN. I don't use any of these for anonymity.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2019

@poisson said:
    I think one of the best decisions I have made ever is the Windscribe lifetime when it was available. The features now are amazing compared to when I got it.

I don't need to deploy Pi-Hole because Windscribe offers something similar called R.O.B.E.R.T (which blocks a lot of other things too). They have a native Linux client and they will be introducing split tunneling soon. Of course, there are concerns about anonymity and stuff but well, rolling your own VPS also has its risks. I only need to be practically anonymous because I am not Snowden.

ROBERT is great :) I've also got WS Lifetime.
    Technically you also get free random portforwarding for 10h.

Thanked by 1kmmm
  • And with which can I use for pirate purpose? I will not trust them to torrent on my home PC, just a little bit curios.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2019

@kmmm said:
    And with which can I use for pirate purpose? I will not trust them to torrent on my home PC, just a little bit curios.

Ivacy is probably better in this case due to the company being outside EU and US (Hongkong). There are different "levels" of "security" to watch out for when choosing your VPN provider. I have always thought that this site explains it basically pretty well:
    https://vpn-anbieter-vergleich-test.de/sicherheit-vpn-kriterien-vergleich/

--> Navigate to the "second level" (symbolised by 2 shield icons) and click on "Alle passenden Services" and you'll find a long list. Ivacy is included :)

Perhaps you can use Google Translate to follow-up. Basically the "2nd level" of security would be sufficient for you.

• I would personally avoid lifetime subscriptions unless they're comparable to an annual subscription. You'll never know what'll happen to your provider like NordVPN or PIA.

• @CyberneticTitan said:
    I would personally avoid lifetime subscriptions unless they're comparable to an annual subscription. You'll never know what'll happen to your provider like NordVPN or PIA.

Well, you can always stop using them if something happens. Ivacy "Lifetime" is for 5 years, and then renew free of charge every 5 years by contacting support. They get lots of monthly customers, too and probably belong to PureVPN (reselling them or same company) so they have and will be around for a long time I believe. If not, I have used them since 3 years and have well gotten back my money's worth :)

Thanked by 1poisson
  • poissonpoisson Member
    edited November 2019

@Ympker said:

@CyberneticTitan said:
    I would personally avoid lifetime subscriptions unless they're comparable to an annual subscription. You'll never know what'll happen to your provider like NordVPN or PIA.

Well, you can always stop using them if something happens. Ivacy "Lifetime" is for 5 years, and then renew free of charge every 5 years by contacting support. They get lots of monthly customers, too and probably belong to PureVPN (reselling them or same company) so they have and will be around for a long time I believe. If not, I have used them since 3 years and have well gotten back my money's worth :)

Due diligence is necessary. I was never comfortable with Nord. The only one I was comfortable with was Windscribe lifetime because they have a vibrant community behind it, and it has been like 2 years out of 10 with another 10 upon request.

They will not offer lifetime ever again, and for their features, people are still happy to pay annually.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • As an LETer, I suggest you avoid any cheap lifetime or yearly payment!

• @hostingtalking said:
    As an LETer, I suggest you avoid any cheap lifetime or yearly payment!

Cheap doesn't mean not good. It means that you are more likely to be cheated, but if you buy only from reputable providers, you are likely not to be cheated.

The problem is how to evaluate how reputable providers are. I didn't know better when I start on my lowend journey, so I had to pay a bit of school fees to learn my lesson. This forum had lots of information that helped me figure out who are the reliable providers who offer cheap and excellent services. I like to pay annually (sometimes more) because I hate having to monitor monthly payment and reduce fees for providers that are awesomely reliable.

It's up to you to decide what your threshold is, but I have a list of whitlisted and trusted providers I have no problems paying annually to (in fact all my services now are annual and not a single one has been a problem), and I will add on to that list when I find more gems.

Go in with eyes open and mind well-read.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @poisson said:

@Ympker said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

Due diligence is necessary. I was never comfortable with Nord. The only one I was comfortable with was Windscribe lifetime because they have a vibrant community behind it, and it has been like 2 years out of 10 with another 10 upon request.

They will not offer lifetime ever again, and for their features, people are still happy to pay annually.

Windscribe is one of the best things that happened to VPN and the community discord continues to be active (also Reddit kinda). Yegor is a great guy on top of that^^

• @poisson said:

@hostingtalking said:
    As an LETer, I suggest you avoid any cheap lifetime or yearly payment!

Cheap doesn't mean not good. It means that you are more likely to be cheated, but if you buy only from reputable providers, you are likely not to be cheated.

The problem is how to evaluate how reputable providers are. I didn't know better when I start on my lowend journey, so I had to pay a bit of school fees to learn my lesson. This forum had lots of information that helped me figure out who are the reliable providers who offer cheap and excellent services. I like to pay annually (sometimes more) because I hate having to monitor monthly payment and reduce fees for providers that are awesomely reliable.

It's up to you to decide what your threshold is, but I have a list of whitlisted and trusted providers I have no problems paying annually to (in fact all my services now are annual and not a single one has been a problem), and I will add on to that list when I find more gems.

Go in with eyes open and mind well-read.

Nice list :)

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

None roll your own.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2019

@Jord said:
    None roll your own.

While a VPN provider won't make you completely anonymous, you'll still share the IP with several people. I imagine that would be better when torrenting linux.isos than running your own and having the IP directly traced to you. Obviously once a court order comes in, both the DC and most likely also the VPN provider will be compliant but until then many copyright trolls would already give up (or at least that's what I've heard) if it's an IP linked to a VPN service. For example here in Germany we have these "Abmahnungen" and copyright trolls as a certain "business niche" (of sending automated dmca notices into all directions) lol. However if it gets too complicated they'll just drop the research. They are more interested in automated "Abmahnungen" (Dmca notices) which bring them automatically cash.

• Depends on what you need.
    For privacy, both of them are not a good idea.
    I don't care five eyes through, I am not living there.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@Ympker said:

@Jord said:
    None roll your own.

While a VPN provider won't make you completely anonymous, you'll still share the IP with several people. I imagine that would be better when torrenting linux.isos than running your own and having the IP directly traced to you. Obviously once a court order comes in, both the DC and most likely also the VPN provider will be compliant but until then many copyright trolls would already give up (or at least that's what I've heard) if it's an IP linked to a VPN service. For example here in Germany we have these "Abmahnungen" and copyright trolls as a certain "business niche" (of sending automated dmca notices into all directions) lol. However if it gets too complicated they'll just drop the research. They are more interested in automated "Abmahnungen" (Dmca notices) which bring them automatically cash.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. But I would still prefer to roll my own, even on Vultr or DO. As then that data is yours, someone can't walk into a dc and login to a VPNs servers cough NordVPN cough

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2019

@Jord said:

@Ympker said:

@Jord said:
    None roll your own.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. But I would still prefer to roll my own, even on Vultr or DO. As then that data is yours, someone can't walk into a dc and login to a VPNs servers cough NordVPN cough

I hear ya. What I was saying is basically a VPN provider should be better as long as nobody walks in that searches for data regarding you. VPN IPs will also most likely turn the automated Dmca notices away.

• MissFortuneMissFortune Member
    edited November 2019

How is keepsolid vpn? Currently at $24/lifetime with 40% CODE